Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Balogh was given orders from someone above. She had nothing to gain from him being reported or named. The people high up in the administration absolutely had something to lose as well they’re trying to impress a new president at the time. They put a woman that was lower in the chain of command in a bad spot. She was essentially the “fall guy”

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·

Most of the athletes that did it aren't seniors.

For the people saying Schulman shouldn't be fired, this "whole thing" started because he tricked a SA into not going to the proper authorities on campus. I'm sure there's plenty athletic administrators around the country who can do his job as well as him but with better morals (you would hope, at least!)
That is a very strong statement. Who did he trick and how did he trick them?
Ware has stated all along that Schulman misled her into thinking there would be certain consequences if she followed certain actions, only to find out it wasn’t the case after she’d signed off on those actions...

Furthermore, a whole bunch of people from several different positions close to the situation have said that when Ware came in to the Title IX office to lodge her initial complaint, that the Title IX officer excused themself to inform schulman, who immediate called up the alleged rapists head coach who then came straight down to the office and the pair began game planning damage control around the incident. Leaving the alleged victim to find herself face to face with her alleged attackers head coach in the athletic department hallway immediately after making the most gut wrenching and humiliating revelation one can make (that you were the victim of sexual assault).

If this is true this alone is a horrific way for it to be handled, it is not placing the safety of an alleged rape victim as paramount.

Furthermore much has been alleged that schulman would routinely initiate “check ins” with the alleged victim of a rape, someone who due to the Title IX complaint should not have been hearing from the athletic department directly about it. And that these check ins were often pressuring in nature about courses of action to take...

So yeah, if those things happened he should have been fired out of a cannon long ago.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Balogh was given orders from someone above. She had nothing to gain from him being reported or named. The people high up in the administration absolutely had something to lose as well they’re trying to impress a new president at the time. They put a woman that was lower in the chain of command in a bad spot. She was essentially the “fall guy”
Does this really make sense to you? A woman, UVM alum, former student athlete on the swim team, making maybe 95k per year is really going to allow herself to be the fall woman and ruin her entire career at the age of 39ish to protect an athletic director whose only experience is at Vermont?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ware has stated all along that Schulman misled her into thinking there would be certain consequences if she followed certain actions, only to find out it wasn’t the case after she’d signed off on those actions...

Furthermore, a whole bunch of people from several different positions close to the situation have said that when Ware came in to the Title IX office to lodge her initial complaint, that the Title IX officer excused themself to inform schulman, who immediate called up the alleged rapists head coach who then came straight down to the office and the pair began game planning damage control around the incident. Leaving the alleged victim to find herself face to face with her alleged attackers head coach in the athletic department hallway immediately after making the most gut wrenching and humiliating revelation one can make (that you were the victim of sexual assault).

If this is true this alone is a horrific way for it to be handled, it is not placing the safety of an alleged rape victim as paramount.

Furthermore much has been alleged that schulman would routinely initiate “check ins” with the alleged victim of a rape, someone who due to the Title IX complaint should not have been hearing from the athletic department directly about it. And that these check ins were often pressuring in nature about courses of action to take...

So yeah, if those things happened he should have been fired out of a cannon long ago.
An investigation will clear all of this up. Every school has different title ix procedures. i am not sure if the AD or coach is allowed to know at vermont. Whether or not they are allowed to find out, i find it extremely inappropriate that the title IX officer would immediately excuse themselves to tell the AD or coach about the issue. You are 100% correct. Terrible way to handle the situation. We need to confirm this actually happened and the officer didn't excuse themselves for some other reason like go to the bathroom, get a form.... Briefly reading the title ix complaint information online at vermont the student should have filled out a form with the title ix officer and been provided with the options they had in writing once the complaint was made... Did the title ix officer provide this information because that would have cleared up the confusion with the informal/formal complaint situation. If the title ix officer did tell Schulman in the middle of the meeting and did not properly guide the student athlete through the process than that is not Schulman's fault. That is on the title ix officer. That is their job. That is why they are paid. Saying they colluded on damage control is just your assumption. I assume seeing Becker in the hallway is something that routinely happens not sure what that has anything to do with it.

I agree with this as well. Schulman should not have reached out to her which that was not included in the article. However it is clear that the student and her mother did involve athletic department officials potentially blurring the lines.

In my opinion, which is worth nothing, the title ix coordinator should not have involved the AD or associate AD. Then any time the AD or associate AD was contacted regardless of who they were contacted by they should have immediately stopped the conversation and refereed it back to the title ix officer.

Again, i want to stress i am on board with firing people for wrong doing but i am against a trial by media based on one side of the story. That is all we have right now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does this really make sense to you? A woman, UVM alum, former student athlete on the swim team, making maybe 95k per year is really going to allow herself to be the fall woman and ruin her entire career at the age of 39ish to protect an athletic director whose only experience is at Vermont?
Never said she would allow herself, I’m saying she was put in that position. She probably didn’t realize it at the time. Pressure from above. Shulman wasn’t making that call himself. They needed someone that the victim would trust to help talk her out of pressing charges. I think the whole administration should resign.

You either teach it or tolerate it. They cultivated a culture that tolerated that behavior and protected the player instead of letting a proper investigation take place.

Ultimately it’s terrible that the administration as a whole protected someone that may have committed rape. It’s not a secret on campus what happened and there have been other things swept under the rug.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts