Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Sorry to disappoint, folks. But here is the problem with all the emotion and presumptions that have been triggered here: I am NOT Tom Tremblay, who I happen to know. I happen to have been a child protective social worker, not a cop. Have at it with your personal attacks if you are so inspired. I am done with this conversation.
I know for an absolute FACT that you have had no interactions, communications or involvement with Kendall Ware or any other alleged victims of the men’s basketball program or athletic department. So for all your bloviating on people making decisions when they “don’t have all the facts,” you are basing your entire stance on this on the information you’ve gotten from one side - the side alleged to have pressured a rape victim into silence while protecting an alleged rapist… you’re complete bias in this article s blatantly evident in the fact that you came at catpower so strongly and got so defensive of UVM basketball simply because he told a poster who expressed feeling uncomfortable about renewing their tickets that they should go with their gut.

If you are trauma informed in any way, you’ll know that only about 5% of total rape claims are false (and furthermore only about 40 percent of all rapes are ever even reported due to how traumatizing and stigmatizing an assault it is ). Overwhelmingly when survivors come forward, they’re telling the truth. And the fact you are so defensive of Vermont men’s basketball shows your complete lack of empathy and objectivity around this tells me you should not be working with victims in any way…

·
Registered
543 Posts
At the end of the day, it doesn't take a child protective social worker or someone knowledgable in the field to recognize that UVM has a serious problem on its hands. Heck, I haven't followed the allegations too closely - unfortunately, I was hopeful UVM would do the right thing and hire a 3rd party firm to investigate and issue factual findings so I didn't need to rely on a message board for the details - but this situation is crystal clear. UVM fostered, tolerated, and perhaps even tried to protect an environment that toxic, harmful, and clearly traumatic for a lot of individuals.

I mean you think people make these allegations "for fun?" Listen, I say this with all due respect. You are a former child protective social worker. You did hard, important work. But, you are obviously retired. I think is a generational thing. I get it, you grew up with Animal House. Times have changed. Institutions have a duty and obligation to create environments where kids thrive. UVM is clearly dropping the ball hard - which is terribly disappointing to see. Frankly, I am embarrassed the State of Vermont is not getting more involved with the state of affairs at our flagship university.

And, at the end of the day - I don't need to hear from the people protecting and hiding the failures of the institution. I'll trust my emotions. Emotions are important. Emotions caused the march from Selma to Montgomery. Emotions caused bus boycotts in Montgomery. You think people took action after hearing from both sides about segregation in Birmingham, AL in 1963 or were they maybe moved by seeing police dogs attacking school children shown on the nightly news?

Here, I am going to trust my emotions. Something ain't right at UVM. For someone who loves the institution, you do it a HUGE disservice by failing to recognize its flaws. If you keep putting your head in the sand, how can you grow? Absolutely disgusting.

For all the students brave enough to share their stories, thank you. I can't imagine being scared to be on a university campus. It made me sick to learn that so many felt that way at a place I respected. Vermont has to do better.

121 - 122 of 122 Posts