Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Raptors have been pursuing Juwan Howard for the last 2 weeks but talks have drawn blanks. GM Glen Grunwald states to an inside source that Orlando GM Gabriel is on the verge of losing his job and is unwilling to trade one of his starters for fear of more losing and thus losing his job. Grunwald still has the deal on the table but for how long it remains to be seen, considering their losing slide lately.

Grunwald is looking elsewhere and possible trading partners include the Suns and the Clippers, who have a log jam in their front court and may be willing to trade former first round pick Melvin Ely. Raptors have also inquired about the services of Tom Gugliotta and have received promising news that the Suns are unloading Gug's large contract in their ongoing firesale.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Goog's contract is ridiculous! He's earning $11.67M this year. We'd have to give up a few players to get him. Something like a package of a main player (like Alvin or Donyell) along with two or three more players (like Mo, Moiso, Lamond). I don't see any way in which we could get Googs without giving up too much.

I like Ely. He'd be the biggest player on our team at 6'10"/261#. He has shotblocking ability and he is athletic. If we could give some kind of Mo Pete + pick package to get him (for salary reasons), that would be hype. We could really use a player like him to go alongside CB4. That would be a fast-moving, shotblocking frontcourt.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The only problem with Ely is that even though he's only a second year player, he's already 25 soon to be 26.
He's already at his prime age, so likely wouldn't get all that much better.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KeonBackinTO</b>!
The only problem with Ely is that even though he's only a second year player, he's already 25 soon to be 26.

i wouldnt mind keeping him here for 7 years lol

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
I don't even think you'd have to add a pick to get him.

Peterson for Ely, straight up, is a fair deal.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
HuH? I don't get this logic at all. Twenty Five or Thirty Five, any General Manager would pick up a player that is quality which means Ely is what we exactly need, not Gugliotta, because his contract sucks.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Speaking as a Clipps fan.. I highly doubt the Clipps would be interested in acquiring Mo.. Trust me.. There's lot's of trade rumor's surrounding Ely and Q these day's.. But.. Mo Pete for Ely straight up is the worst one I've heard thus far.. Reason being.. We're as loaded at the wing's as we are in the post!.. Any move in which the Clipps wouldn't be acquiring a quality point would be a major setback IMO!

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!
Speaking as a Clipps fan.. I highly doubt the Clipps would be interested in acquiring Mo.. Trust me.. There's lot's of trade rumor's surrounding Ely and Q these day's.. But.. Mo Pete for Ely straight up is the worst one I've heard thus far.. Reason being.. We're as loaded at the wing's as we are in the post!.. Any move in which the Clipps wouldn't be acquiring a quality point would be a major setback IMO!
interested in clearing any more cap with Montross? his salary is just under 3 million, so the deal would be something like montross and a second rounder for polynice and ely. clips already have a lot of cap space though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
why are the raptor looking for a pf while they already have bosh. They should concentrate more on a pg because rose/williams isn't the answer.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SkywalkerAC</b>!
interested in clearing any more cap with Montross? his salary is just under 3 million, so the deal would be something like montross and a second rounder for polynice and ely. clips already have a lot of cap space though.
Hell Nah.. Like you already said.. Were in great shape when it come's to the cap.. Don't get me wrong.. I'm not in favor of entering the race for Kobe.. But.. We should be in position to fill our point void's come season's end!

·
Registered
745 Posts
HuH? I don't get this logic at all. Twenty Five or Thirty Five, any General Manager would pick up a player that is quality which means Ely is what we exactly need, not Gugliotta, because his contract sucks.
Huh? Well if you consider 4 points and 3 boards quality, then Ely is it. What I am saying he really wont improve all that much. And his numbers aren't good right now.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KeonBackinTO</b>!

Huh? Well if you consider 4 points and 3 boards quality, then Ely is it. What I am saying he really wont improve all that much. And his numbers aren't good right now.
Huh? I don't get another logic of yours. Why the hell are you involving statistics to conclude about a player's quality? Dude, I think you should realize that statistics is the most lame component in describing a player's quality. I am confused on why you're so certain that a any young player wouldn't drastically improve. Do you even know who Melvin Ely is? Did you even watch him play? According to Mattsanity, no you don't, and no you haven't.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
Toronto sends
F Lamond Murray
Montross Contract
2005 1st rnd pick

La Clips send
Ely

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think Ely is in a Keon Clark-type situation

He's not a coach fav., he plays behind other good or developing big men (Wilcox, Kaman, Brand)

hes got potential, i say we grab him, hes probably the best big man that we can get at a good price

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Junkyard Dog13</b>!
Toronto sends
F Lamond Murray
Montross Contract
2005 1st rnd pick

La Clips send
Ely
Nah.. I'd pass on that as well.. We just waived an in shape Glen Rice.. And Murray doesn't offer anything more than he did.. Were just fine in term's of our cap.. So there's no need to acquire a player who would be automatically cut in Montross!.. Honestly.. The only Raps player that would fill some Clipps void's is Alvin.. But.. He makes like $5.5 mill.. So unless we give up on Dooling and package him with Ely for Williams.. I don't see anything happening between the two team's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts