Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Raps Ready To Deal...

482 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  untitled 
#1 ·
http://waymoresports.thestar.com/NA...id=979061475221&call_pagepath=Raptors/Raptors

The Golden State Warriors, already a major part of Raptor draft lore, could be the team that knocks Toronto right out of the proceedings this year.

A handful of league and team sources say the Warriors are trying to obtain the 16th pick in tomorrow's draft to select one of the guards the Raptors covet, a move that could trigger Toronto to dump its 20th selection for a player, a pick further down in the first round or a combination of second-round and future picks.

That would perfectly match the signals being sent by Toronto general manager Glen Grunwald and his assistant Bob Zuffelato, who have already spoken of a willingness to deal and who spent part of the weekend at a couple of clandestine workouts in San Antonio looking at players who would probably be available in the late 20s of the draft.

"Some people think that from our pick down, you can get a similar player further down the draft," Zuffelato said yesterday after the Raptors held their final private workout for players at the Air Canada Centre. "If we can gain an advantage by moving down, we'd do it."

Philadelphia has the 16th pick and is dangling it to the Warriors, who have the No.3 selection and would take another first-rounder.

The deal could include players such as Derrick Coleman of the Sixers and Larry Hughes or Erick Dampier of the Warriors but it could also just be a swap of picks since the Warriors owe the Sixers a first-rounder in 2005 from an earlier trade.

The Warriors would use the Philadelphia pick — or have the Sixers make the selection for them as part of a deal that won't be announced until the free agent market opens July 16 — to choose one of the point guards the Raptors are interested in. And if Golden State takes Gonzaga's Dan Dickau, or Frank Williams of Illinois, it might be enough to let Grunwald take one of the offers he's got for the 20th selection.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
`Some people think that from our pick down, you can get a similar player further down the draft. If we can gain an advantage by moving down, we'd do it.'

Raptors assistant general manager Bob Zuffelato

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some clubs without first-round picks — Minnesota, Boston, Atlanta, Seattle and Dallas — while the Miami would like to trade up to get an additional first-round pick. Each of those teams has second-round picks that could be included in any trades.

Golden State, of course, was the team that sent Toronto Vince Carter and cash for Antawn Jamison in an infamous 1998 draft night deal.

As a hedge against getting the chance to move back, or against not being able to pick any of the point guards they like, the Raptors have also worked out a handful of small forwards and big men of late, including one who might not appear in the NBA for at least a season.

In what would be a cost-saving move, the Raptors could draft Slovenian Jiri Welsch, an intriguing 6-7 guard who is a fine shooter with some ball-handling skills, and then have him return to the Italian League for another season.

That would allow the Raptors to save his salary for this season while they clear some salary cap room and allow Welsch to develop while playing regular minutes in a good league.

The 20th selection in the draft would be guaranteed a three-year contract worth about $2.8 million (U.S.) with a team option for a fourth season. Second-round picks aren't guaranteed a contract at all.

See less See more
#2 ·
I find this quite interesting. The raps are looking for some help but if they cant get it, well who cares...i would like to see them move their 20th pick for future considerations and possibly a 2nd rounder to any team....

If Jiri Welsch does get drafted by Toronto he won't stay in Europe. They raptors will try to get whatever help they possibly can so in order to do that, they will ship out some bodies ie Tracy Murray, Montross, etc...

Btw Montross is being rumoured to go to the LA Clippers as a backup for Kandi or possibly insurance if he leaves. Dont you find it ironic that when the raps got montross in the JYD deal everyone was complaining about how useless he is and that he makes too much money....most teams are now intrigued by how he is worth every penny he makes....he is cheap...hes effective and many teams have been calling GG.

#5 ·
Originally posted by sime

ok let me find it....i read it yesterday...
i made mistake.....i read it at a message board.....if you would still like the quotes from the message board i have those.....

and also it is montross to the sonics....not to the clippers.....

its said to the sonics for shammond williams....

again my bad...

#7 ·
from realgm...Montross for Shammond Williams would be a sweet deal. So would getting Hughes at the right price but not sure about Hardaway posted by nba_fan

yeah i like shammond...he got game! posted by raptozor

That Washington offer is an interestesting one... That would give us the cap room to sign Clark wouldnt it?

If they can get Shammond for Montross that'd be nice for Toronto.

What about JYD and the 20th for the Clippers Maggette and a second rounder??? posted by tebor

will say this for the last time. MONTROSS IS NOT A BAD

CONTRACT!!!! The reason why there is interest in him is because he is so cheap and he can still contribute to some aspects of the game. So when we are "trading away bad contracts" please don't include Montross in that.

This is also the reason I don't like Shammond Williams for Montross talk. Shammond Williams has shown nothing in the NBA and Montross is good insurance if/when Hakeem goes down with injury. posted by GWgw

I'd do Shammond for Montross, give Mamadou a shot at backup C

posted by Dell$

I don't like Shammond Williams much either but the Raps have one too many big men and one too few guards...it makes a ton of sense to trade Montross for Williams. posted by KrazyP
those are just some of the quotes i picked up....the article that had all that info was re-directed to something about money and stuff

i wouldnt make this up...i wouldnt go thru all this trouble

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.