Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Morris twins also beat some guy up at a rec center last year after they signed their contracts. I'd want no part of that guy, or even Blake for that matter with that rumor circulating.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the Morris twins also beat some guy up at a rec center last year after they signed their contracts. I'd want no part of that guy, or even Blake for that matter with that rumor circulating.
I don't think character is that big of a problem. Kyle Lowry was a headcase before he came here. While Lowry never had off court trouble, it's not like Markieff Morris had constant run in's with the law. It was one instance where both him and Marcus along with 3 other people were charged with assault. As far as I know Marcus Morris hasn't been a problem since he got traded to Detroit.

As it stands now our team doesn't have enough talent to get by the Cavs or even the Bulls. Our main weakness is at the power forward position especially on offense. Getting Morris especially if Casey can get him motivated would solve this problem completely. He's also on a bargain contract (22M for the next 3 years) which is great since the Raptors don't have much cap room after we re-sign DeRozan.

I think we should offer the Suns Patterson, one of Delon Wright or Bebe, and 1 or 2 second round picks (we don't have a 2nd rounder next year, so it'll be 2017 or 2018). If this package isn't enough then perhaps throw in our 1st round pick next year which should be around the 25-30 range.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Okay ... So we're a week away from the trade deadline and there are lots of options and players on the table. Last week I was really high on making a trade, but after the last few games I'm betting Ujiri won't mess with the current structure. We've been playing some damn fine basketball lately with Ross and Patterson finally hitting their shots.
Our defense has been good, offense is clicking and with the eventual return of Carroll and Johnson we stand only to get better.

Last year we died in the playoffs when Lowry hit the wall. We were a one-man team with backups and when he died, we died. But this year is totally different. We're got several top players in Lowry, Derozan, Carroll, Joseph and much improved players in JV, Ross, Biyombo, Patterson, Johnson and more. So I'm not seeing that collapse happening again this year ... I'm just not. Built as we are and based on what's been happening in the last 15 games, I don't think any playing with this roster is worth the risk right now (not to mention the future cost of trading away our youth today) ....
So, I'll say it first, let's not change a DAMNED thing!!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Ohhh and of course there is that ... FAITH in Ujiri doing the right thing for now and in the future. So far he'll been stellar in executing on a vision of what should be.

And JoshLewenberg called it all out sometime today with this

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I think Donatas Motiejunas is another guy that might fit our team. He's on the last year of his rookie deal but he might not get a lot of money next year because he's been out due to back surgery. He's basically a younger version of Luis Scola and also being from Lithuania he'll pair up nicely with JV. With Houston faltering and perhaps looking to reload or even rebuild we might be able to snatch him off them for cheap. Maybe a combination of Delon Wright and James Johnson would be enough to acquire him.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Back surgery is really hard to judge. I haven't looked him up yet but being young means he should be wiling to listen and mold into a system. Especially with our new training center and gym. Cheap is also good and not too bad of a trade .... BUT how's his defense/ offence for what we're giving up??

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Back surgery is really hard to judge. I haven't looked him up yet but being young means he should be wiling to listen and mold into a system. Especially with our new training center and gym. Cheap is also good and not too bad of a trade .... BUT how's his defense/ offence for what we're giving up??
From what I've seen out of him he's very crafty in the low post and has 3pt range (albeit some what inconsistent). Defensively he's very average. Not a rim protector and does not have great lateral movement but he does have a high enough basketball IQ to stay within the defensive scheme. I think with Casey's help he should be a serviceable guy in our system. What I like about him is his ability to operate in the post. He's a good passer and has a wide range of post moves and hooks that he can do consistently. While he doesn't shoot that many 3s like Patterson he does hit enough of them so that when he's out there the opposing team will have to cover him which creates good spacing for the wing players.

Like I said, he's basically a younger, taller version of Luis Scola. The back surgery is a bit worrisome but the guy is only 25 and should not require that much asset to acquire him.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Just a few thoughts after the All Star break....
1. I'm so proud to be a Torontonian .. Awesome job on the ASW!! Not only did we not embarrass ourselves.. but we really set a tone with the association that Toronto is not only up and coming... but we're legitimate and here to make waves!
2. With that, another thing comes to mind.... We're here to win NOW!! And with Demar and Lowry playing their best games ever, I'm sure Ujiri is seeing the need to impact and improve the team for a deep playoff run NOW as opposed to later. We've never been so deep and so primed internally as well as in the eyes of the rest of the NBA for something to happen NOW.

3. I was fine with standing still a couple weeks ago ... but with all that's gone on with the ASW and what I'm seeing online everywhere I'm expecting a move for our sore spot at the 4 !!

Time will tell all .....

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
I feel we should move all-in this year, but only if the player is worth it. A rental Horford would not in my opinion.

Carroll will almost be like a trade acquit ion at this point.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I'd be very happy to see Young or Faried at this point. Apparently we've already walked away from Markieff. Of course with Ujiri you just never know. The trigger he finallypulls will probably be on something that's not even on the radar anywhere.

"The Raptors are chasing a power forward this week. Sources say Brooklyn’s Thaddeus Young, New Orleans’ Ryan Anderson, Denver’s Kenneth Faried and the Phoenix duo of Markieff Morris and P.J. Tucker have all been pursued this month by the East’s No. 2 team."

http://hoopshype.com/rumor/1037445/

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
Yeah me too. I get not overpaying your future but with the risk of DeMar leaving and the fact we might have our best chance at a deep playoff run makes me wish we upgraded in the post.

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Meh, seeing how Masai has operated the last few seasons I'm not surprised. All interviews post deadline with Masai, he's been saying it will be much easier to make a move in the off season and that there is no chance they will be keeping all 4 picks over the next two seasons.

Soooooooo

that was a letdown after the allstar break. Blow a huge lead to the shorthanded Bulls. I don't get it, hopefully we don't play them in the first round.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I'm glad we stood still, I don't see DeMar going anywhere and we will be in a much better place in the offseason to upgrade. We're in the best spot the Franchise has ever been in, messing around with that makes no sense, unless we had the chance to land a real superstar, which we didn't.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Well I'm ok with the stand too..... But I would have been happier with a trade for one of the 4's that was available. Given one could have been had for Patterson, a pick we admitted to not needing and Delon Wright (a very seldom used guard) .... Not overly expensive for what we'll be facing and needing come playoff time....

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Well I'm ok with the stand too..... But I would have been happier with a trade for one of the 4's that was available. Given one could have been had for Patterson, a pick we admitted to not needing and Delon Wright (a very seldom used guard) .... Not overly expensive for what we'll be facing and needing come playoff time....
Who are you referring to?

All of the available 4's came with their own flaws, I didn't necessarily see a clear upgrade over Scola & Patman.

I think the win against the Grizzlies reiterated what a good team we are. As long as we can avoid the Bulls in the playoffs, we should get our first series win.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I would have liked to see us get Thaddeus Young or Ryan Anderson ... both of which were apparently available for a reasonable deal with the exchange of Patterson, Wright and a pick or two. I didn't check salary numbers myself but that's the word that was coming across the wire ....
And now we're supposed to be interested in Joe Johnson??? I dunno enough about him ... but either way that weakness at the 4 has got to be shored up. We'll get out of the first round, probably do well enough in the second but won't make it any further with that hole.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts