Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
OMG !!! WOW!!!
And with that .... King and company should be very concerned. They're already at peak and we're still growing. One full man down in Carrroll and two more playing at less than half strength.... Uh-Oh ....

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Well,with our loss and Detroit's humiliation, Chicago is back in the eighth spot and heading to playoffs if everything stays the same. Only good thing is we'll probably never see them... but still a stupid, stupid loss.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Chicago loss aside & more importantly though is how we do against the Pacers this week. The series is tied at 1-1 and we have this week's game and one more with them left. We're likely to face them in the first round of playoffs if things stay the same so these games will be crucial. Not only to get the wins but also secure home floor advantage!!

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I'm still not sold on our team. Our offense relies too much on DeRozan getting to the line. At any moment when the refs decide to let the game get more physical our offense turns into a combination of wild shots and complaining to the refs. When Carroll comes back hopefully our outside shot becomes more consistent. Scola has really faded in the past month or so and guys like Patterson and Ross are inconsistent. I like what Powell brings but he needs to refine his shooting if he wants to stick around in the league.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
The team did ok with the Pacers. Despite all the sloppiness I think the Raps had it under control all game. Both teams obviously have a lot more to give and can do much, much better but I think the Raps had more poise, leaders and options on both ends of the floor.
Most importantly we got the W!!

It's going to be a fun series.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I'm still not sold on our team. Our offense relies too much on DeRozan getting to the line. At any moment when the refs decide to let the game get more physical our offense turns into a combination of wild shots and complaining to the refs. When Carroll comes back hopefully our outside shot becomes more consistent. Scola has really faded in the past month or so and guys like Patterson and Ross are inconsistent. I like what Powell brings but he needs to refine his shooting if he wants to stick around in the league.
Yeah I'm seeing some of this too. But I like what DeRozan is trying to do. He either passes up his own opportunities to get others involved early (Scola, PP, JV and even Powell) which is good because he saves his own energy for crunch time and it's good training for them when the playoffs come and he's double teamed. And if he's not doing that, then he drives to the rim and cries out like a girl to get the refs attention and draw the foul. Either way we get better overall although I'd like to see him drive more without the crying.

True, true on the inconsistent offence though. But with Lowry and DeRozan being somewhat stable we only need two or three other key contributors per game to make it work. Between JV, BB, PP, TR, Scola, Powell and Joseph we never see the same two night in, night out but offence by committee seems to be our thing. Add in Carroll when he comes back and I'm still seeing a run to eastern champ playoffs!!!

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
This team is special. I don't see any of the inconsistencies that have been mentioned in this thread. DeRozan gets to the line at will. Lowry is doing everything. Terrence Ross is a huge spark from the bench, he's finally playing with confidence.

The only player struggling is Scola, but the added competition for the PF spot seems to have already reignited his game.

My love for Sir Bismack is growing as well, what a fun player to have in Toronto. Never gives it up on the defensive end and never tries to go out of his scope on offence.

Small shout to Powell, 2nd rounder that has started and performed well. It allows us to keep Ross as the 6th man spark, something this team really needs.

We're going to run straight past 50 wins, I'm intrigued to see how high up we get, there's an outside chance we even take the 1 seed.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Yes the team is special... Best I think we've ever had from many standpoints ... but just looking at yesterday's game stats would prove out what we're saying. TRoss wasn't all that good (9pts) neither was PatPat (7pts) and Powell had 10. Everyone after that was in single digits. Scola was the one who stepped up in that one with 17pts early on... Like I said we're very inconsistent in who steps up after Lowry and Demar, but luckily someone usually does.

On the Bismack front .. interestingly enough the Sun just had an article going over the who our best center is!! They both have plus and minuses... I'd love to keep them both for what each brings to the table .. but apparently we can't ... "The only way the Raptors can keep Biyombo is if Valanciunas and/or Terrence Ross get moved for cap space."

How's that for crazzy.. Trading JV to keep Biyombo ???? Ahhhh HELL NO !! .... Or maybe we pay Demar less so we can afford it ??? HAHAHAAHAAAAAAA

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Yes the team is special... Best I think we've ever had from many standpoints ... but just looking at yesterday's game stats would prove out what we're saying. TRoss wasn't all that good (9pts) neither was PatPat (7pts) and Powell had 10. Everyone after that was in single digits. Scola was the one who stepped up in that one with 17pts early on... Like I said we're very inconsistent in who steps up after Lowry and Demar, but luckily someone usually does.
This is where I think we differ. I see 4 players behind our All-Stars that contributed. If you can get 20+ PPG from your superstars, and then roughly 10+ PPG from your backups, you're in a pretty good spot. We have guys at the end of the bench that chip in and consistently deliver. We're a consistently deep team, you very rarely see 2 or 3 of our bench with 0 points, which a few years ago was all too common (Landry era).

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
See... games like tonight is where disagree with you on expectations on our highly paid bench players.... I think they should be capable of 12-15ppg consistently. Everyone has off games, no issue there at all.. but where we see more off days than on, I'm thinking trade, trade, trade.....

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
draft the best possible PF with the ny Denver pick trade ross and the 2nd 1st rnd pick for a future pick to dump cap room to extend bismack and still have a shot at durant if Demar is willing to settle under 23 mill at say 17-20 mill per year a significant jump from 10 mill, and should be a enough to offer durant a decent 3-4 year deal to play on a team where with him added we are instant title contenders.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
UGGG--LY loss. Nothing went right on either offence or defense.
Perfect humbling game before the playoffs.
Message: Get back to work, watch the tape, drive to the basket, stop crying about calls and Prove You Belong!!

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Durant and Westbrook balled out. They definitely have that capability, so I'm not going to get too disheartened.

We seem to be struggling a little bit at the minute though, getting over that 50 win milestone is proving to be more difficult than it should.

The team lacks continuity, out starting line-up is constantly changing and our only consistency is from the bench. Carroll coming back is going to be big for this ball club, let's hope he can stay healthy.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Uhh yeah ... Well as you know, the Raps are only as good as Lowry is and apparently there are some health and performance concerns around him now. He had his elbow drained of some fluids just after the game. It's been bugging him for just over a week now...

http://i.tsn.ca/story/?id=576317

And for more fun, there's talk of just benching Carroll when he does become available as he won't be in game shape fast enough and may actually be a liability.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/raptors/2016/03/27/raptors-should-shut-down-demarre-carroll-for-rest-of-season.html

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Lowry is getting the chance to rest up. He will be in good condition for the Playoffs.

Norman Powell, what a 2nd round pick he is proving to be. We really did land a game changing GM in Masai.

The biggest question, who will get that 7th seed? Mathematically, I think we're only looking at Detroit and Indiana.

Here's the three possibilities of how the season plays:

If Detroit go 2-0, Indy must go 3-0 to close out to finish 7th.
If Detroit goes 1-1, Indy must go 2-1 to close out to finish 7th.
If Detroit goes 0-2, Indy must go 1-2 to close out to finish 7th.

Pistons remaining games: vs. MIA, @ CLE
Pacers remaining games: vs. BKN, vs. NYK, @ MIL

It's going to be really interesting, but you expect Indy to pick up a minimum 2 out of those 3 games. That's preferable for me, I don't like that Pistons team, they seem to have a little something about them.

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
Yes I believe Pacers would be a better match up than the Pistons as well.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts