Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Raptors @ Hornets, Apr. 7th

558 views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  shookem 
#1 ·
<center><table border="3" cellspacing="10" bgcolor="gainsboro"><tr><td bgcolor="indigo">
</td> <td colspan="3">
April 7th, 2006
Oklahoma City, OK
Ford Center
8:00PM EST
The Score
</td><td bgcolor=#100070>
</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="indigo">
Toronto Raptors​
</td> <td>
26-49
</td><td>
H2H
</td><td>
36-38
</td><td bgcolor=#100070>
NOK Hornets​
Mike James
Guard
6'2"
188#
Duquesne​
</td> <td>
</td><td>
H2H
</td><td></td><td bgcolor=#100070>
Chris Paul
Guard
6'
175#
Wake Forest​
Morris Peterson
Guard/Forward
6'7"
220#
Michigan State​
</td> <td>
</td><td>
H2H
Rasual Butler
Guard/Forward
6'7"
205#
La Salle
Eric Williams
Guard/Forward
6'8"
220#
Providence​
</td> <td>
</td><td>
H2H
Linton Johnson III
Guard/Forward
6'8"
225#
Tulane​
Charlie Villanueva
Forward
6'11"
240#
UConn​
</td> <td>
</td><td>
H2H
David West
Forward
6'9"
240#
Xavier​
Pape Sow
Forward/Centre
6'10"
250#
Cal St./Fullerton​
</td> <td>
</td><td>
H2H
Marc Jackson
Centre
6'10"
253#
Temple​
</td></tr></table>

See less See more
#3 ·
shookem said:
Seven more games to win five more, Speedy I might take you're Ucash this time.
Yeah. I think I might've won had Bosh stayed healthy, but now it looks like we might not pick up another W for the rest of the year. The team has every excuse not to win. Hopefully we'll still be able to pull out another one or two just to keep us (fans) interested.

#8 ·
wow bad start for the Raps. 7-0 hornets

#11 ·
speedythief said:
Loren Woods looks horrible out there tonight, plus he had a senseless tech. Why won't Sam put Hoff back in?
Sam hates the idea of giving anyone outside of James, Mo, Bonner or Bosh consistent minutes. It's part of his 'motivation technique'. You know it really keeps players on their toes, let's them know who's boss and such. Really, if a player knows that he'll get yanked whenever coach gets the urge, it's a good thing, right? Plus, it keeps all the guys on the bench 'at the ready' because they never know when they might go in or what position they might be playing, I mean Eric Williams at the 5 - gold baby, gold.
Why other coaches in the league haven't figured this out is beyond me, Sam just makes them look foolish night after night. If I were a coach in this league, I'd just retire because it would be better than knowing that I could never achieve anything more than 2nd best, man that would be depressing.

#19 ·
Well, I beg to differ.

And to be contrary, I don't think the future of our teams success will be impacted on this weak draft class. Just my $.02. I could care less if Atlanta gets #4 pick, #6 pick, or what. It's not that big of a difference in my mind, with what you'll be picking from.

#20 ·
Team Mao said:
Sam ... foolish ... retire ... depressing.
It's clear Sam and Rob disagreed on the right way to develop Hoff--Rob insisted on giving Hoff a starting role and the subsequent responsibility and Sam followed orders but held a grudge. I think the same thing is happening with Barrett right now and we're unlikely to see him play significant minutes next season in favour of Calderon as a result (if AB is retained).

Sam's style has worked with our other young players, though. Everyone from Bonner to Sow to the 06 rooks have shown major improvements as time has progressed. Personally it makes me wonder what we might be seeing from Araujo right now had Sam ever had control of his development. At this point it seems Araujo feels a sense of entitlement--demands the ball on offense, quick to bark at the junior members of the team, etc.--and that might be what irks Sam the most.

Over the last two years nobody has questioned Hoff's work ethic but his ability to develop the right mindset might be one thing countless hours in the gym might not cure. I think its clear to anyone who watches Araujo close enough that he has some talent. Whether or not we can get him to mesh the hard work and the ability and the mindframe together is the big question.

We know Keady (our default big man coach) is working with him daily but I really get the sense that Hoff just plays the way he wants to play. He falls back on his experiences at BYU. He tries hard to be a complete player when he should stay humble and improve his skills one at a time until he is ready to be the next Brad Miller, etc.. I don't forsee much changing with his situation next year so I hope BC can make something happen this summer.

#21 ·
TheATLien said:
Well, I beg to differ.

And to be contrary, I don't think the future of our teams success will be impacted on this weak draft class. Just my $.02. I could care less if Atlanta gets #4 pick, #6 pick, or what. It's not that big of a difference in my mind, with what you'll be picking from.
so, you do think the future of your team will be impacted by your avatar?

i agree that 4-6 might not be a huge difference, but it's always better to have the higher pick, no? and higher odds at a top 3 pick.

#22 ·
speedythief said:
It's clear Sam and Rob disagreed on the right way to develop Hoff--Rob insisted on giving Hoff a starting role and the subsequent responsibility and Sam followed orders but held a grudge.
I really like the picking and choosing of different words from my post to make up a quote, good technique.
In terms of your quote above, was this ever actually proven that Babcock insisted on Hoffa starting or is it just one of those things that has been insinuated through the press? I really find it hard to believe that a GM as powerless as Babcock was in the organization could demand anything like that. I could understand his insistence on minutes, but starting is another thing.

Also, has Sam improved in terms of rotations after Babcock's departure? Perhaps we should blame all of Sam's shortcomings as a coach on Babcock, the easy scapegoat for so many people.

The Raptors fired the GM because of inexperience. Why it is okay to be patient with an inexperienced coach who continually makes poor in-game decisions is beyond me.

#24 ·
How many games has Hoffa started while Babcock was GM? How many games has he started since Babcock was fired?
There's your answer.

I like Sam Mitchell. Some people don't give him any credit at all for Bosh's development. Not to mention, it seems that he has done a great job with Bonner, Sow, Villanueva and Graham. This is Sam's first head coaching job, you can't expect him to come in and be the best coach of all time right from the get go.
If not Sam Mitchell, then who? I don't see any other coach available out there that will make this team considerably better. We need to instill some stability, and not changing head coaches every year or two would be a step in the right direction.

#26 ·
speedythief said:
Yeah. I think I might've won had Bosh stayed healthy, but now it looks like we might not pick up another W for the rest of the year. The team has every excuse not to win. Hopefully we'll still be able to pull out another one or two just to keep us (fans) interested.
You mean the 26 total posts for a game thread may indicate the people's interest in not what it used to be?

Gasp!

Raptors suck. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.