Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toronto really needs to pick up a big this offseason, the targets which have been mentioned are Przy, Nazr, Wilcox and Nene. I'm not so hot on Nazr and Przy, Wilcox and Nene are both young and athletic guys who I feel would fit in much better with the team. However, it seems like Seattle is dead-set on re-signing Wilcox, which leaves Nene.

This 3-way deal involving two S&Ts, helps all teams involved.

Mike James S&T to NY (4 years at 6 million or higher depending on what Isiah is smoking that day)
Nene S&T to Toronto (5 years, 8-9 million per)
Maurice Taylor to Denver

New York gets a PG who has put up big numbers this year in TO and has shown that he is capable of starting on this league. Better than anyone who will be available for the MLE.
Toronto gets their big.
Denver gets a big expiring contract for next season which will be a really valuable trading piece with so many teams clamouring for 2007 capspace.
Toronto and Denver both get valuable pieces for their RFAs rather than have them walk for nothing.

This deal woud also allow Toronto to potentially sign another FA first and then go over the cap with this deal.
*Capologists, please correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation of going over cap to re-sign RFAs and deal in S&Ts.

· Registered
7,189 Posts
yeah, except who plays PG for the Raps? Not that Spainish guy who can't hit a jumper and is injuried quite a bit. Derick Martin, Andre Barrett, you know something about Roko the rest of us don't. You feel like gambling in the draft, maybe take Marcus Williams too high or get Gerry Mac or Daniel Gibson. Ohhh, maybe you want to sign one of the other big FA PG's, oops, there isn't any (Payton, Claxton).

I love trades that don't benefit anyone. You've got to think about the team from all angles, which is way trades rarely happen.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shookem said:
yeah, except who plays PG for the Raps? Not that Spainish guy who can't hit a jumper and is injuried quite a bit. Derick Martin, Andre Barrett, you know something about Roko the rest of us don't. You feel like gambling in the draft, maybe take Marcus Williams too high or get Gerry Mac or Daniel Gibson. Ohhh, maybe you want to sign one of the other big FA PG's, oops, there isn't any (Payton, Claxton).

I love trades that don't benefit anyone. You've got to think about the team from all angles, which is way trades rarely happen.
It seems more and more unlikely that James will be the PG for the Raptors next year as is. Not that he really knows much about being a PG anyway. Colangelo's recent comments are starting to hint that Mike James is not the PG of the future for the Raps. Also, Colangelo reportedly made comments at the meet and greet about getting Roko out of his contract earlier than expected and that he is not benefitting from the current TAU situation.
Yes, I would rather have Jose starting at point over James. At the beginning of the season before the injury became public, Jose was fine. He knows how to run an offense rather than a one-man show, even better he knows how to make an entry pass.
Explain to me again how this trade benefits no one. Oh, and it should read there aren't any NOT there isn't any.

· Registered
2,876 Posts
another pg in New York :no:

· Sexy Moderator
13,492 Posts
bbasok said:
another pg in New York :no:
I was thinking the same thing bbasok....we have to many guards as it is. We have to lose one before we take on another. Besides, wouldn't James try to to command more than a mid-level since he is playing some great basketball?

Reactions: bbasok

· Registered
2,876 Posts
Kitty said:
Besides, wouldn't James try to to command more than a mid-level since he is playing some great basketball?

yes.He'll want a better contract

Reactions: USSKittyHawk

· Registered
7,189 Posts
Hmmm, it seems I'm not the only one who fines a fault in your plan.

Assuming your plan is to have a combination of euro-trash, rookies and NBDL rejects run the Raptors point.

Jose may turn out to be a starting quality PG, I suspect he will, but to do it in his second year would be a stretch. Remember, NBA scouts didn't tell their bosses about him for reasons.

What I'm saying is the gains made at center would be lost at the point, meaning no gain for the team.

And you assume that the Knicks want James, which is probably untrue.

I'm not sure if MJ is the future PG of the Raps, probably not, but if signed he will get minutes there untill Jose is ready (if ever).

As far as Roko goes....total wildcard, to use him as a big minutes man in next year's rotation is, at this point, silly.

*I wrote the first post at 7 in the morning. I'm lucky it doens't look like I'm mashing my forehead against the keyboard.

· Registered
233 Posts
Not a bad idea, but as it has been said before, not good enough. Raptors are definitely addressing one of their issues (lack of a decent center) but in the same time are getting much worse at PG. I'd say that a good playmaker is much more important to make the team better, and although James may not a be a perfect one, without him this team gets much worse.

Plus - I believe that Nuggets would like to get something more for Nene.

· Registered
3,763 Posts
EDIT: Stop Insulting and baiting posters. -LM05

· Sexy Moderator
13,492 Posts
pac4eva5 said:
You think calling fans of other teams ignorant is appropriate on bbbnet?

Reactions: bbasok

· Banned
3,113 Posts
Kitty said:
I was thinking the same thing bbasok....we have to many guards as it is. We have to lose one before we take on another. Besides, wouldn't James try to to command more than a mid-level since he is playing some great basketball?
LOL like youll be getting cap space in the next 10 years

· Sexy Moderator
13,492 Posts
pmac34 said:
LOL like youll be getting cap space in the next 10 years
You never heard of a sign and trade? Nice attempt at weak smack. The thing is.....some teams can have a whole lot of cap space and couldn't lure a rodent to sign with them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.