Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marc Stein from ESPN is reporting that "Nategate" is over and Toronto must pay Huffman the remainder of the contract he signed.

For those of you out of the loop, Huffman had a brief tour with the Raps last season. He played for a few months as a backup centre, sometimes as a starting centre, until he was injured.

It was revealed that Huffman had a history of injury, but failed to disclose this information to the Raps, who obviously were unaware of his history of health problems. Toronto terminated his contract, claiming that he failed the contract by not disclosing his medical history.

The Union supported Huffman's case and an arbitrator awarded Huffman with the full settlement. Toronto must pay that scrub $2.56M now. Any monies saved by having New York sign Lenny are now out-the-window because of this case, I think?

The Raptors then took the rare step of terminating Huffman's contract, insisting that they would have never engaged in contract talks with Huffman if they'd known the condition of his knees. Had they won in arbitration, the Raptors could have established a new precedent for teams seeking to void guaranteed contracts based on pre-existing medical conditions.
Huffman plans to continue rehab and eventually return to the NBA. Only problem is, he wasn't good enough when he was healthy in the first place.

In defence of our scouting team, though, Huffman was a powerhouse with Maccabi Tel-Aviv, in Israel. And at 7'1" and 240#, he seemed like a decent player to pick-up when we were desperate. Oh well.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=1730729

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
GG is an idiot to give a contract to a unknown commodity

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Not really an unknown commodity. The guy was an all-star overseas, and a veteran player. GG had to outbid his current team to get him here.

The guy was damaged goods. GG treats players incredibly fairly. For him to just fire Nate tells you he felt betrayed and defrauded.

Unions protect the worst employees and do nothing for the best employees. That is a fact.

Enjoy your last paycheque as a ballplayer Nate. Go golfing with Hakeem.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
our scouting department sucks
examples
Radioivik
the guy we traded to cleveland for murray
Jefferies

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts

Nate:

Named MVP of the Israeli Basketball League and Suproleague in 2001
Named Best American Player in Europe by Basket News in 2001

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Nate Huffman was a joke. Grunwald needed a clue at the time he was signed.

Nate:

Named MVP of the Israeli Basketball League and Suproleague in 2001
Named Best American Player in Europe by Basket News in 2001
He had to average 2 PPG, 1 RPG, and 0.5 APG to get those awards. It's common sense, simply because they're international basketball leagues.

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts

He had to average 2 PPG, 1 RPG, and 0.5 APG to get those awards. It's common sense, simply because they're international basketball leagues
OK AGREE HE SUCKS

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000082&sid=avDxDOCvgAZw&refer=canada

March 1 (Bloomberg) -- Former Toronto Raptors player Nate Huffman and the National Basketball Association players union sued the team and league, alleging the club hasn't paid the $2.5 million he was awarded by an arbitrator.
No money has gone Nate's way, despite the arbitrator's ruling. So this situation is ongoing. Hopefully Toronto won't have to pay anything. There was a "medical history disclosure clause" in Nate's contract with the Raps and he shouldn't get jack after lying to our team.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
i dont see how the raps have to pay he did not tell them that he was injured and we get punished because of it ???? i don't get it

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>madman</b>!
i dont see how the raps have to pay he did not tell them that he was injured and we get punished because of it ???? i don't get it
I'm trying to get a line to the Player's Union to get an explanation of what's going on, so if I hear anything I'll update this thread. Hard to understand, considering the Raps seemingly had a legit reason to cut the contract but lost the arbitration case anyways.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hopefully we dont have to pay that scrub.

Israel MVP.... :rolleyes: whatever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts