Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at the team and I see some problems .

1) A lack of quality scorers around Carter. One, Vince is going to get his shots and score, but what happens when he is cold. The last thing a team wants is for a guy to keep shooting when he is having an off night. So who can he defer to?? Davis has shot 41% from the field and is not the true consistent scorer that the team needs. Alvin Williams is another hot and cold player. They are missing a true small forward capable of joining the attack with Vince. Can Peterson step up his game and help Carter out in this department?? Once again, the team needs a second option on offense, other then letting Vince create. The team seemed to get better once Carter was out, because the offense was less predictable. One, because Carter was not the first option and two, the offense was based on motion and flow, you could see this in the Pistons series.

2) Going to get killed at Centre. Davis has talked about not wanting to have to play centre. He talked when he played the 5 and Oakley the 4. He is a natural 4 and should play there. The problem here is that who can replace him at the 4 spot. Jerome Williams?? I like Williams, but I prefer him guarding the small forwards. He is 6"9 but with a small frame. So now the team has two 6"9 players in the frontcourt. this is too small. Other options, Hakeem, Montross??? these guys are close to being finished. Hakeem cannot be counted on for a full season at all. And you guys made a mistake trading for him with the 15th pick in this years draft. So you see that the Raptors are undersized in the frontcourt. Davis and Williams are the teams only quality big guys, but can they hold out the Ratliff, Shareef, Walker, O'Neal, etc. they are going to battle.

3) The Raptors are going to pay for resigning Alvin Williams and Jerome Williams to bloated contracts last year. My take on those signings was the team was in too much of a hurry and too satisfied with what they accomplished last year. they should have waited because no way would Davis and the Williams boys have got as much money as the Raptors gave them. Would Davis have really gone to the Bulls??? Now they cannot sign Clark! He showed glimpses of his potential during the season and the playoffs. Not only his shotblocking and rebounding, but he showed his capacity to score of jumpers, spins and dunks. There is a lack of quality centres around and this guy had to walk. It is really going to impact on the team. I mean his presence led the guards to think twice about driving to the hole. He was also a fast and active centre, who also helped Davis out. It allowed Clark to use his frame to alter the shots, leaving Davis to clean up on the boards. this was a solid tandem, one shotblocker and one great rebounder, backing each other up. You guys are going to pay for letting him go.

4) Inside Scoring is another problem. You have guys that can hit jumpers like Carter, Peterson, Williams, Hunter, but what about going inside?? The Raptors seem too content to fire up jumpers and they need to mix the play up. They need the option of going inside and to make the defense alter their plans and work harder. they need to be more unpredictable. Watching Davis, he gets a lot of his shots blocked and this is a problem matching up against guys 4-5 inches taller than him. They lack a pure inside scorer. Davis likes to shoot jumpers from 10 - 15 feet out. But the team lacks low post scoring and I cannot see anyone capable of giving this to the team this year other than Davis.

5) Bench play. Who can come off the bench and have an impact on the game. Bobby Jackson, Horry, Williamson are all guys that can check in and have an impact. But I do not see this on the Raptors. the starters are going to carry too big a burden. Can Hunter provide a spark, or Jeffries?? Once again guys like Carter, Davis, etc are going to play too many minutes which might impact on the team down the stretch.

6) But once again you guys have Carter. But with him getting doubled and triple teamed the ball is going to go to another player. Can that guy be the key and score when required?? The defense want Carter to give up the ball and this is another are of concern for the Raptors,as once again, they need another option other than Vince!

These are just my views on where the team is at. Please comment!

·
Registered
11 Posts
We'll be alright

The Magic made the playoffs with a weaker team then that, and who knows, maybe they'll be smart and get Udonis Haslem some how, he would be great, offering meaty rebounding and an inside presence who can jump! Tmac made the playoffs, i think Carter can two, the east is weak

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The east has gotten alot stronger since last year.

All the good teams last year are getting stronger and the Raps have lost alot. This Roster wont get us far.

With that said by Mid seaon I'm sure if things are just average in the standings GG will shake it up at the dealine (We have seen it before) He will attempt to cut salary for the off-season.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Tradeable Commodities...

To get better the Raptors need to trade, but we have some guys that are untradeable. Jerome Willams at 7 million per year for a limited role player is untradeable. With the luxury tax and salary cap guys like these are not required commodities. he would be a tradeable commodity and hot property but his contract is just too large to deal him.

Same with Alvin Williams, he is overpaid for a combo guard. that is what he is, he likes to shoot it. Antonio Davis is untradeable, because he gives the team what it needs and what it is lacking. Which is a low post presence and sole rebounder and interior defender.

At the end of the day the team has no flexibility at the moment. We should have been able to resign Clark but once again the Raptors went overboard paying too much money and not thinking about the future cap restraints. they just got too happy and satisfied with what it did last year making the second round and tried to keep the team together. in hindsight I would have looked to deal Junk Yard Dog last year and just get a first round pick or something. Now look at our team:

Centre - Hakeem/Montross/Ndiaye - Average
Power Forward - Davis/ Williams/Yogi - Above average but could be better
Small forward - Carter, Jeffries - Good
Shooting Gurads - Peterson, Curry - Average
Point Guards - Williams, Hunter - Average

This is how I see the team. they are going to battle to make the playoffs. Because they are undersized in the frontcourt and not athletic enough. That is why we lost Clark and why it will hurt. Davis is going to handle too big a load this year as Hakeem and Montross just do not have it anymore. To get better we should maybe look at dealing Peterson for a big centre. Once again we cannot trade c'rap and expect gold so this is just something that the team needs to look at. I mean having Carter means less shots and offensive plays for Peterson so why not look to deal him for a big guy.

Look at the east now. Most teams have big caliber guys:
Hawks - Ratliff, Shareef, Robinson
Boston - Battie, Baker, Walker
Hornets - Campbell, Brown, Maglooire
Knicks - Thomas, McDyess
Pacers - Miller, O'Neal, Foster
Miami - Mourning, Grant
New Jersey - Mutombo, Martin
76ers - Maccolough, Coleman, Van Horn
Chicago - Chandler, Curry
Detroit - Wallace, Robinson, Williamson
Raptors - Davis Olajuwon, Williams

I mean look who we are going to throw at other teams!! Davis, Hakeem and Williams, you have to be kidding ourselves. I would trade Peterson and N'Diaye for Jamaal Maglooire. Look the Hornets crave shooters and maybe they will go with this trade?? it is just a thought. Or maybe going after Elden Campbell who is in the last year of his contract with the Hornets he can give us a big body who can score. Just some thoughts.

If you want to see my thoughts on the Raptors weaknesses, read my post titled - Raptors Analysis!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
AD didnt get killed playing at Centre 2 seasons ago, so I dont see why he would now. We also have Huffman, who is a legit 7'1.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts