Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Raptors Pursuing Pau Gasol

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr_B 
#1 ·
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130201-02/eight-trade-truths-deadline

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, in the wake of the Gay trade, is now openly acknowledging that he's shopping former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani. The Lakers' interest in Bargnani remains a matter of debate in the midst of the Italian's worst-ever season by far, but the not-for-public-consumption message that continues to emanate from Canada is that Toronto remains intent on pursuing Gasol even after trading for Gay.

At a news conference Friday, Colangelo acknowledged that the Raptors are prepared to stray into luxury-tax territory in the "right transaction." One source close to the situation says Gasol is a guy who fits those parameters, depending on the rest of potential trade principals besides Bargnani.

So we'll see, over the next 20 days, if the Lakers change their stance on Gasol's availability ... and if Toronto can even assemble a package to tempt them without Jose Calderon's expiring contract to attach to Bargnani.
I don't think the Lakers give up Pau for Bargnani, and I wouldn't want to give a lot more than Bargs for him.

Gasol is 32 with knee issues, it would be a huge risk if BC puts in any of propects.

#2 ·
Well, this is interesting. Bargnani could essentially be Dwight Howard's Ryan Anderson, except that he has a more well-rounded offensive game and he's not nearly as good on the glass. The two have a $9 million salary difference, so I'm assuming Toronto would also part with Amir Johnson for both cap reasons, andso the Lakers can essentially replace Jordan Hill. The Raptors might have to throw in Landry Fields for Steve Blake as well. At least, that's what I would demand if I were LA.

#6 ·
I don't see it happening BC on record saying he will not mortgage the future so that leaves Barg,Fields,Anderson,Gray and Kliza on the table for a trade for Gasol to go through if your LA why would you take on any of those guys makes no sense on their end unless they get a sweetener tossed in like a future 1st rounder or something

#7 ·
I think Bargnani and Fields would be a good enough offer to get Pau (at the core of it), it fills multiple holes for the Lakers while also getting them younger. Raptors nab a high quality player to aid in their playoff chase.

#11 ·
We have to see how LA performs over the next few weeks, if they continue to lose, they will be forced to make a move. But this is the Lakers here, they are one of the best run franchises in history, which as a Raptor fan, scares the life out of me. Can BC pull off this kind of deal without being swindled for extras?

Bargnani needs to put up All Star numbers once he returns to maximise his value too. Lots of mitigating factors in play.

It certainly is nice that Bargnani is being talked about in trade rumours.

#12 ·
I hope this happens. If just to see Kobe rip into Bargnani during a game lol

#15 ·
, make it happen bargnani for boozer
Boozer don't make any sense for Toronto it puts them into luxury tax and the new CBA pretty much revokes all the rights for teams who cross that line, no MLE, can't trade for or away draft picks, not allowed to execute S & T deals plus the rate the NBA charges for every dollar your over is more expensive than the last CBA deal. Its one of the main reasons why Miami talking about trading away one of their big 3 and the reason why Memphis is slashing payroll and having a fire sale which were able to benefit from

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.