Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this website the Toronto Raptors have re-signed Keon Clark.

"SCENE AND HEARD: Doug Christie didn't do anything differently in Sacramento than he managed with the Raptors. When it mattered most, this guy throws up nothing but bricks ... Word around is that the Raptors have agreed to terms with Keon Clark and now have to find a way to make it work under the restraints of the salary cap ... Another voice insists the Raps won't make any effort to re-sign point guard Chris Childs, who was important in the playoffs until he forgot the score ... Last summer, with Vince Carter's future in Toronto still uncertain, his charity-celebrity game was a successful sellout. This summer, there is genuine concern that Carter's game will sell at all ... News item: Former NBA star Jayson Williams has pleaded not guilty to first degree manslaughter charges. Reaction: Doesn't everybody? ... I don't know what it is about Phil Jackson's ways that make me want to cheer against him every game he coaches ... Next time an NBA team decides to hire a high-profile college coach, maybe it should think twice. The New Jersey Nets and Boston Celtics didn't start winning until they got rid of John Calipari and Rick Pitino, respectively. "

Canoe.ca is a very respected website in Canada. They have been known to break news faster then anyone. Here is the

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam020609/col_simmons2-sun.html

Is it not ill-legal to discuss re-signing players till July 1st.

·
Registered
553 Posts
That is some good news for Raps fans. Keon really made strides this year. Now lets hope they don't trade down for Kandi

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Originally posted by Junkie101
Is it not ill-legal to discuss re-signing players till July 1st.
Isn't it? I thought it was. Well anyway I still don't buy it. It may be a respected site, but look who wrote it... Steve Simmons

Simmons is a total moron. He doesn't even say where he got this information from. Although I really hope he's right, I'm not believing this until I see it from a more reliable resource.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: RAPTORS RE-SIGN KEON-READ

Originally posted by Budweiser_Boy

Isn't it? I thought it was. Well anyway I still don't buy it. It may be a respected site, but look who wrote it... Steve Simmons

Simmons is a total moron. He doesn't even say where he got this information from. Although I really hope he's right, I'm not believing this until I see it from a more reliable resource.
Simmons is friends with many of the Raptor elite staff people(Chuck Swirski). Those guys know what happens before anyone does. So the reference (Word Has It) comes from them.

I agree, I will not believe it untill I hear it from the masses. Last year Canoe.ca reported Vince Carter re-signed about 3 weeks before anyone heard of it.

Which gives me reason to believe this COULD be true

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Simmons may have friends, but he's still an idiot. He may be right on this one (and I hope he is), but he's still an idiot.

What I don't understand is how are we going to pay him? I suspect he'd be looking for a bit more than the mid-level exception (which is all we can offer him if we don't want to pay luxury tax), and frankly, I wouldn't pay him more than that just yet. He's still a bit too inconsistant.

The smart thing to do from Keon's perspective IMO is to take a one-year deal at the mid-level exception. Then next year, he can sign for more with the likes of Tracy Murray gone. Plus another contract year would encourage him to play better.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Budweiser_Boy
Simmons may have friends, but he's still an idiot. He may be right on this one (and I hope he is), but he's still an idiot.

What I don't understand is how are we going to pay him? I suspect he'd be looking for a bit more than the mid-level exception (which is all we can offer him if we don't want to pay luxury tax), and frankly, I wouldn't pay him more than that just yet. He's still a bit too inconsistant.

The smart thing to do from Keon's perspective IMO is to take a one-year deal at the mid-level exception. Then next year, he can sign for more with the likes of Tracy Murray gone. Plus another contract year would encourage him to play better.
Agree to a deal in principal means the money factor has not been discussed yet and when given the right contract he will sign it. The only way Toronto is re-signing Keon to more then 1 year is if Hakeem is payed out or traded or someone else is traded. Regardless I still have not heard anything about the possible re-signing on any other b-ball website.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I sure hope this is true and he is planning to re-sign, and it would be a very good sign for the Raps fortune if he has already made his decision to re-sign.

But for now, I'll have to believe it when I know he has signed the contract.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by raptors32
I sure hope this is true and he is planning to re-sign, and it would be a very good sign for the Raps fortune if he has already made his decision to re-sign.

But for now, I'll have to believe it when I know he has signed the contract.
No question.
This team needs Keon IMO to be playoff contenders. I think Keon is the closest thing to KG (based on bodystucture, height, athletism)

His potential is endless.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Although Chris Child is a great defender and an aggressive creator, I wish he can go so we don't have to see his pathetic pick and roll with Davis like we know that the play is to draw a wide poen shot for Davis instead of Childs doing something else.:rolleyes:

But then I like to see Vince has the ball more in his hands, but that doesn't mean more shots from him but just let me opearate more on his own. I think to get rid of Chris is a plus for the team because he is so demanding and we don't need that "point guard" orienated style but all we need to do is dumb the ball to Vince and let me be a decsion maker.

Vince needs to work on his mid-range jumpers and other stuff to be able to take the East next year. Keon can be a decent back up player on a great team but not a starter materal whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vince needs to work on his mid-range jumpers and other stuff to be able to take the East next year. Keon can be a decent back up player on a great team but not a starter materal whatsoever.
I agree with everything you said untill I read this. Obviously you have not seen Keon Clark play in a year to say he is not starting material. The Raptors would of not made the playoffs or even contend without Keon this season(any Raptor fan who watched him play most this season knows what im talking about). The fact that teams were afraid to drive the lane when they saw Keon there is a compliment to his game.

We are talking about a guy who with AD made the Raptors compete against detroit.

We are talking about someone who block 12 shots in a game. (That was a record)

To say we would have been better with Hakeem starting is foolish. I myself would rather have Keon Clark starting for this team more then any other Center in the East ( JO'Neal excluded)

Keon Clark is 6-11 and a better handler with the basketball then most guards. He has a spin move for a big man that no one can match on offensive (KG only exception). He is very athletic rebounder and shot blocker. He has a mid range jumper that was simply lethal at the last 20 gamesof the season and playoffs.

To lose Keon is not only devestating for this team but is a blow to the Raptor organization as a whole

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Mod, I respect your opinion. But just because the Pistion doesn't have a big and porwerful offensive minded PF. And Clark is not able to defend and play against top PFs in the west night in and night out. Depending on matchups, some nites he looks pretty good, some nites, he just disappears.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Originally posted by Junkie101

I agree with everything you said untill I read this. Obviously you have not seen Keon Clark play in a year to say he is not starting material. The Raptors would of not made the playoffs or even contend without Keon this season(any Raptor fan who watched him play most this season knows what im talking about). The fact that teams were afraid to drive the lane when they saw Keon there is a compliment to his game.

We are talking about a guy who with AD made the Raptors compete against detroit.

We are talking about someone who block 12 shots in a game. (That was a record)

To say we would have been better with Hakeem starting is foolish. I myself would rather have Keon Clark starting for this team more then any other Center in the East ( JO'Neal excluded)

Keon Clark is 6-11 and a better handler with the basketball then most guards. He has a spin move for a big man that no one can match on offensive (KG only exception). He is very athletic rebounder and shot blocker. He has a mid range jumper that was simply lethal at the last 20 gamesof the season and playoffs.

To lose Keon is not only devestating for this team but is a blow to the Raptor organization as a whole
Agreed. If the Raptors lost Keon Clark, it would probably be the worst possible thing to happen other than carter going down with injury again. For the latter part of the season, Keon was the heart and soul of the Raps

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't see this happening because with Hakeem Olajuwon and Antonio Davis I doubt Keon Clark will pass a chance to go play for the Magic and have a guarenteed starting spot, plus he was originally a Orlando Magic player because we drafted him.

We'll see what happens though. I doubt it, sorry Raps fan.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by T-Mac
I don't see this happening because with Hakeem Olajuwon and Antonio Davis I doubt Keon Clark will pass a chance to go play for the Magic and have a guarenteed starting spot, plus he was originally a Orlando Magic player because we drafted him.

Great idea T-MAC fan Keon can come to Orlando and get payed the 4.5 mill exception ya right.

Keon is a starter if you have not noticed and Hakeem only plays about 10 minutes a game now.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've heard alot of rumours straight out of Orlando about Keon Clark making the move, I haven't heard about the cash or anything so please don't bash me over this because i've heard plenty of rumours for me to atleast consider this mvoe over here, trust me.

Also, Keon may get alot of minutes towards the end of the year but normally Hakeem is probably the #1 option with Antoinio Davis at power forward. Clark has poor 'D' but let's see.. I really don't care if he comes to Orlando or not as long as we get Amare Stoudamire. :cool:

I'm sorry if I don't watch much Raptors game, but I was just saying if you know what I mean according to rumours that I have heard. OK? :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hakeem is not the #1 option infact I question if he is gonna be #3. I agree in the begining Hakeem was the main C option but after the all-star game he quicky faded away and Keon stole that job.

I admit I already Jumped the gun twice in this thread once to Penny (i sent my appology) and once to you. My bad im just really defensive when it comes to Keon Clark.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Originally posted by T-Mac

Keon isn't going to the Magic. He will be our starter next year, and Dream won't make it through the season.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, everyone knows every player in the league wants to play in Orlando so of course that would include Keon. :sleep:
There are a number of ways the Raps can make room for Keon so i'm not worried about him leaving. Believe in GG!! He may have thrown away a 1st rounder and 5 mil per year on an aging Dream, and he may have drafted a Mike when he should have drafted a Zach, but he won't make the mistake of letting Keon go. It's just not possible. I said ITS NOT POSSIBLE! :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Continued..

He might of traded for a YOGI and signed him to 5 mill a year, He might of traded a Corliss for JYD, He might of lost TMAC to free-agency instead of trade (everyone knew he was not staying).

Other then that GG is a great GM and the good out weighs the bad. There are many ways to ro-sign Keon

-Trading Hakeem at the draft
- Paying out Yogi
-Trading JYD for a pick

If Keon says he wants to stay (he has) Toronto Maple leafs sports and entertainment will pay the money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts