Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Dallas - As Seattle reports say the Sonics are expanding their list of possible replacements for him, the Rashard Lewis to Dallas rumors are growing. Rumors out of Dallas are stating that a local real estate agent has been contacted to begin a search in Dallas for a home in the $500,000 price range for a currently based Seattle professional athlete, with input on suitable locations being provided by a Dallas pro sports franchise, and that Lewis is due in Dallas tomorrow to announce his decision to join the Mavericks."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_1154.shtml

I just heard on Radio that the deal appears to be very close to being finalized.....

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
The mavs are taking everyone. Well I wish the good luck next season. I heard that the Sonics have just given up on him. They don't even want to negotiate.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Jeez, the Mavs have tons of talent. If Shard signs, they will be awesome!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
491 Posts
R. Lewis is a freaking idiot... Man, insted of 7 mil per year he's settling for the 4.5 mil and not to mention being on the bench... If I were him, I would seek some counseling help immediately and fired his agent pronto... If he thinks he can beat Nowinski and Finly for mins then he got to be smoking some serious stack over there... Not only will his value dimished but so is his commanding money... What kind of stat does he think he's going to put up if he received 15 mins per game? LMAO... <strike>Another idiot out of the ghetto...</strike>

·
Registered
973 Posts
damn... he should sign for the minimum wit the wiz, or work out a sign a trade. The wiz could use Kwame brown as the trade bait.

Then we could put shard at PF

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The Wiz will not use Kwame Brown as trade bait.

Do you think Michael Jordan would allow the public to view him as wrong for drafting Brown instead of Curry or Chandler or Gasol?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Dude, kwame is great trade bait... everyone knows he imporved over the summer... he may be somewhat behind a gasol... but he'll be there. Hopefully.
but if we can use him to get sumone good, i say we do it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mduke</b>!
Blazers.....deja vu...
The Blazers stacked themselves with players way past their prime.

I would consider the Mavs similar to this year's Team USA at the WBC tournaments. Waaaay too much talent...

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tri_N</b>!
not to mention being on the bench
Who's going to start in front of him? Adrian Griffin?:laugh:

No doubt he'll start, but taking this deal is plain stupid.

·
Registered
450 Posts
expect a starting lineup like this:

PG - Nash
SG - Finley
SF - Lewis
PF - Nowitski
C - Lafrentz

Key reserves: Nick Van exel and co.

i say they give everyone a solid run at the title

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>hogey11</b>!

PG - Nash
SG - Finley
SF - Lewis
PF - Nowitski
C - Lafrentz

"IF" they play both ends of the floor as a team, they could challenge for the western conference title.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Unfortunately, this team is all offense and no D... You know what's more horrible is that they got Don Nelson as a coach who I think is just overrated. If he's as good as he's hyped to be, he would get the Mavs to play D and challenged for the Finals spot right now... Talent can only take you so far but it is the X and O that take you to the promise land.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shroombal</b>!
Dude, kwame is great trade bait... everyone knows he imporved over the summer... he may be somewhat behind a gasol... but he'll be there. Hopefully.
He may be somewhat behind Gasol? Dude, he's on the other side of the country cruising up I-10 with a tricycle.

Will he ever be as good as Gasol is right now?

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shroombal</b>!
The Wizards might be starting him by the time playoffs role around! That's who can use Kwame!

·
Registered
513 Posts
In terms of development, this might not be a great move for Lewis. There's no question he would get a lot more touches in Seattle as the second option on the team instead of the 4th in Dallas. However, I think he'll still get a lot of time (starters minutes) at the small forward spot, with Nowitzki being basically a full time power forward.
A lot of guys make decisions like this near the end of their careers to try to play for a winner before they go out. I think he's just making this move early. I don't think he should necessarily be called stupid for it. It's pretty clear that Dallas' future is looking up and Seattle's is not. Maybe he's just getting off a sinking ship realizing that he can't be a goto guy to lead a team once Payton is gone.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>hogey11</b>!

PG - Nash
SG - Finley
SF - Lewis
PF - Nowitski
C - Lafrentz

That lineup sounds insane. Insanely good...

-Petey

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is too good a lineup ... the Lakers have no hope

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If Lewis comes to town, does that mean that Finley will LEAVE town?

Originally posted by <b>ozcoltsfan</b>!
That is too good a lineup ... the Lakers have no hope
Give me a break. The Mavs have no answer for Shaq WITH or WITHOUT Rashard Lewis. They don't have an answer for Duncan, either.

I think that, if Lewis really IS coming to town, Mark Cuban will try to trade Michael Finley for some legit frontcourt help. All Nick Van Exel can fetch you is Kurt Thomas, and Kurt Thomas isn't the missing piece of the championship puzzle, Kurt Thomas doesn't do you any good against Shaq and Duncan!

Those of you who think that this team has "too much talent"? PLEASE.

The reason why this deal makes some sense for Lewis is that, when this three-year deal is over, he'll still be VERY YOUNG, he'll be 26. He'll be able to get his max deal, but it'll be three years down the road.

I can see him becoming the Mavs' #2 scoring option sooner than you guys might think, actually. Maybe by the end of next season. This guy is really good, fellas, and he's a great fit in Big D.

So yeah, I think that those Finley rumors will start flying again any second now. How can Cuban get a big guy in exchange for Finley? There are PLENTY of teams out there with serious payroll problems, teams that are stuck with a ton of unwanted longterm contracts, or at least ONE really unwanted longterm contract! If Cuban would take some unwanted longterm salaries off somebody's hands, and ESPECIALLY if he could prevent a team from getting hit with the luxury tax next year, he could get his big man. Here are some possibilities:

1) Finley and Avery Johnson (two more years left on his deal) to the Hawks; Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Alan Henderson (THREE more years left on HIS deal) to the Mavs. Hawks trim $2.5 mil off their 2002-03 payroll, which MIGHT get them out of luxury tax territory. Finley gives them their solution at SG. Maybe they can somehow trade for a PF replacement?

2) Finley and Avery Johnson to the Pacers; Brad Miller, Austin Croshere, and Ron Mercer to the Mavs. Pacers trim $1.8 mil off their 2002-03 payroll and FINALLY unload the contract of Croshere. Brad Miller is a CENTER, which means he'll get a LOT OF MONEY next summer. Do the Pacers REALLY want to give this guy, say, 6 years $50 million? BRAD MILLER?

3) Finley to the Trailblazers; Dale Davis and Bonzi Wells (sign-and-trade) to the Mavs. Finley gives the Blazers a real pro, someone who can team with Rasheed and give this team a legit 1-2 scoring punch. Bonzi Wells replaces Finley at SG in Dallas (Wells is several years younger), and Davis gives the team a legit veteran rebounder/defender. Money is an issue for neither team, of course.

That Mavs-Pacers deal really makes a lot of sense. It gives the Pacers way more flexibility next summer--Croshere's and Mercer's contracts are really hurting that team. Finley could move back over to SF for Indiana but could also obviously back Reggie up at SG, Artest could get re-signed to back Finley up at SF, Al Harrington could play either F position, Jermaine O'Neal might have to play more center than he would like, Jeff Foster would get increased minutes, as well. The team would be in need of a C, I guess, but hell, who ISN'T in need of a center? Maybe they could trade Jonathan Bender for a C next summer in a sign-and-trade? I think that, if you can dump Croshere's godawful contract AND add a terrific star veteran like Michael Finley, you do it.

And we all know that Brad Miller actually LIKES playing against Shaq. Miller would start at C, LaFrentz at PF, Nowitzki at SF (talk about a huge frontline all of a sudden). I'm not sure what the Mavs do about the SG situation--maybe trade for Eddie Jones? Nick Van Exel for Eddie Jones somehow? Maybe in a three-way with the Knicks? Van Exel to the Knicks, Jones to the Mavs, and Kurt Thomas, Frank Williams, and Charlie Ward to the Heat? [It works on RealGM, believe it or not!]

OR the Mavs could trade Van Exel to the Grizz in exchange for the unwanted longterm contracts of Jason Williams (who could back Nash up at PG) and Michael Dickerson (who would replace Finley at SG)?

IF Lewis signs with Dallas tomorrow, and IF the Mavs pull off that deal with the Pacers AND the three-way with the Heat and Knicks, here's what they'll look like:

Starting lineup

PG Steve Nash (36 minutes/game)
SG Eddie Jones (32 minutes/game)
SF Dirk Nowitzki (40 minutes/game)
PF Raef LaFrentz (32 minutes/game)
C Brad Miller (28 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Rashard Lewis (32 minutes/game), Ron Mercer (16 minutes/game), Eduardo Najera (12 minutes/game), a backup PG, acquired via a Wang Zhi Zhi sign-and-trade (12 minutes/game)

OR let's say that, instead of pulling that three-way with the Heat and Knicks, the Mavs pull that trade with Memphis, THEN the Mavs will look like THIS:

Starting lineup

PG Steve Nash (32 minutes/game)
SG Michael Dickerson (32 minutes/game)
SF Dirk Nowitzki (40 minutes/game)
PF Raef LaFrentz (32 minutes/game)
C Brad Miller (28 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Rashard Lewis (32 minutes/game), Ron Mercer (16 minutes/game), Jason Williams (16 minutes/game), Eduardo Najera (12 minutes/game)

ALSO! If Rashard Lewis IS signing with Dallas tomorrow, look for Gary Payton to get traded sometime over the next week or so. I've been screaming about a Payton-to-Detroit trade for several weeks now, and it's starting to look like what's going to happen (but ONLY if Payton agrees to a contract extension with the Pistons beforehand). I mean, Stackhouse gets traded for Rip Hamilton, everybody is baffled, then two days later, Rashard Lewis signs with Dallas? Is it just me, or is there a connection here?

ONE MORE THING! If Lewis AND Payton leave Seattle, jesus, HOW MUCH will the Sonics SUCK this season? A lot, or a WHOLE lot?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts