Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/10/rashard-lewis-miami-heat-nba-free-agency/

Rashard Lewis will reportedly sign with the Miami Heat, according to a tweet Tuesday afternoon from ESPN’s Jared Zwerling.

Chris Tomasson of FOX Sports tweeted that sources are saying he’ll sign for the veterans minimum of $1.35 million next season.

In June, the Washington Wizards traded Lewis to the New Orleans Hornets, who in turn bought out his contract for $13.7 million. Lewis was entering the sixth and final year of his $118 million contract. He was set to become the second highest paid player in the league, behind the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant, who will make $31.5 million next season.

Ray Allen, who reached an agreement on July 6 to play for the Heat next season, was teammates with Rashard Lewis from their days on the Seattle Supersonics.

In 28 games for the Wizards last season, Lewis averaged 7.8 and 3.9 rebounds in 26 minutes per game.
Now being a Cavs fan, this is all I have to say: I HATE THAT ****ER!!

·
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watch the 2009 playoffs and you'll understand why.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
If Rashard can even be anything remotely close to what he was that's a great addition. If not, it's for $1.35 million so who cares.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Props to him for walking away from what, 6-7 million dollars?

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Lewis has already been paid something close to 14 million dollars this year from the buyout. I don't think his value is all that great really, maybe 4 million at most. He is almost 33, only played in 28 games last year and averaged less than 8 ppg on a 46% TS%. That smells like something close to what the Heat are giving him.

·
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if he's not the player he use to be, it's still a great pick up for Miami, their bench just continues to get better and better. Now you've got Shane Battier (assuming they pick up a center this offseason who will actually start), Ray Allen, Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem, Norris Cole, and now Richard Lewis, this is a damn good bench team when you consider the fact that Miami has one of, if not, the best player we've ever seen in the past 12 years (I'm of course talking about Lebron James), you've got the second best SG in the league with Dwayne Wade, and you've got a top 5 PF (maybe even top 3, hell I'll go as far as saying that Kevin Love is the only player right now who is undoubtedly better than him) in the league with Chris Bosh. Three allstars, and throw in Mario Chalmers who continues to improve, and he's already a very solid PG (well, sort of). The sky is the limit for this team.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
collective meh - I know he's slightly taller but really how's he not more of something they already had with guys like Miller or Battier or Jones - I think the league dodged a bullet when they didnt get Camby - this one doesnt really register

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
What?

Lewis is not walking away from anything. He's getting $13.7 million from the Hornets' buyout. Now he is just playing for a title.
He was due like 22 million.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
The final year of Lewis' contract wasn't fully guaranteed. After he was traded to the Hornets they bought him out for something which is most often reported as 13.7 million dollars ( there is a possibility that it is more). Lewis did not walk away from anything.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Makes sense. I was wondering why he took such a low buyout.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
It's kind of a smart move for him. He can put himself in the shop window and if he gets his game back, he'll make that money back probably. I mean...he was awful last year. And wasn't great the year before that. He's a 6-11 dude who if he's not on PEDs can't shoot, and doesn't rebound or defend. He's worth what the Heat paid for him, and he could or could not be a good contributor to them, depending if he gets his shot back, and if he is interested in playing some defense. Otherwise, nothing ventured nothing gained. It's sort of like the Eddy Curry signing last year, except Lewis is a little more likely to contribute.

Riley likes reclamation projects, and Lewis is that. Will be interesting to see if he can restart his career.

It's kind of amazing the player he was with the Sonics, and the player he is now. He should have had a much better career.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I think they are rolling with Bosh at the center full time now. Stop trying to match-up with teams less talented than you by throwing some 7 foot stiffs out there, instead make them match-up to you and put your best players out there.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Lewis hasn't been good since he stopped using steroids. This isn't going to do anything to stop Miami from succeeding, but I seriously doubt we look back next year and say how great of a signing Rashard Lewis was.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
It's kind of a smart move for him. He can put himself in the shop window and if he gets his game back, he'll make that money back probably. I mean...he was awful last year. And wasn't great the year before that. He's a 6-11 dude who if he's not on PEDs can't shoot, and doesn't rebound or defend. He's worth what the Heat paid for him, and he could or could not be a good contributor to them, depending if he gets his shot back, and if he is interested in playing some defense. Otherwise, nothing ventured nothing gained. It's sort of like the Eddy Curry signing last year, except Lewis is a little more likely to contribute.

Riley likes reclamation projects, and Lewis is that. Will be interesting to see if he can restart his career.

It's kind of amazing the player he was with the Sonics, and the player he is now. He should have had a much better career.
He's had one of the better careers of any 2nd round pick in the past 20 years.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
If the Heat are going to continue to acquire the 2006 Sonics, Chris Wilcox and Earl Watson should be next on their list.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts