Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bout this idea.

We sign Rashard Lewis to a one year contract, and then say we will resign him for the big bucks if he provides. Cuz we all know Lewis wants and big bucks, and everyone knows we will have cap room next season. And then we trade Rashard Lewis to the Bulls or Hawks or the Warriors for picks. We gotta stockpile them to get Lebron James!!!!

Then we sign Rafer Alston and trade both Whitney and Lue for a 1st round pick. Then we trade Laettner for a younger guy. And we resign Popeye Jones.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Rafer Alston is not anywhere near as good as Whitney or Lue. Why would we sign him?

Lewis would want a full mid-level exception. We do not have that anymore. If we really wanted him for significant dollars we would be smarter to try and work out a sign and trade, where we could move some salary. But do you think anyone is going to want a Lue/Davis/Laettner in a sign and trade? Not a chance.

I would expect small deals from here on out and if Lewis signs a 1 year deal, we can go after him next year when we have cap space if there isn't anyone better we want.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Hmm... you make it sound so easy. First of all, why trade Shard, the real deal, for an unproven high schooler? What if LeBron's a bust? We'll never know. And Rashard Lewis is an awesome player. Not worth the max yet, but if we sign him to a one-year deal like you said and promise to give him the big bucks next year, then why not just keep him?

Second of all, what team would take Whitney and Lue for a first rounder? And I assume you mean a lottery team, so the Wizards can stockpile for James. No lottery team in the right mind would take those two for their pick. Also, I find it hard to believe that any team, unless maybe Portland, would give up a young player for old, washed up Christian Laettner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts