Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard on PTI that Rashard was gonna sign with the mavs. That would be hugh for the mavs and i think they would be the force in the West and finally dethrone the lakers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The mavs ain't going anywhere until they look up the word defense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mavs shoud trade Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley for Ben Wallace....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
MAYBE THEN..............

But Lewis won't help them that much

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Shard would be foolish to sign with the Mavs

If Shard signs with the Mavs, It doesn't help them at all on the defensive end, besides they still don't have a strong inside game, so how are they gonna dethrone the Lakers??? They should atleast start thinking about beating the Kings first, That would be ridiculous of Shard to sign with the Mavs, Less money and maybe not even a starter............Hmmmmmmm???

·
Registered
127 Posts
He'll Start

C - Raef
PF- Dirk
SF- Rashard
SG- Michael
PG- Steve

Then trade NVE to NY for Kurt Thomas and Eisley. Thomas is a good defender and rebounder, what the Mavs need.

Its a good thing for Dallas(signing Raef), because now they can trade in a package for a good , defensive C.

Id like to see Kandi in a Mavs uniform.......but I don't know how they could get him.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Re: He'll Start

Originally posted by <b>Thrilla</b>!
C - Raef
PF- Dirk
SF- Rashard
SG- Michael
PG- Steve

Then trade NVE to NY for Kurt Thomas and Eisley. Thomas is a good defender and rebounder, what the Mavs need.

Its a good thing for Dallas(signing Raef), because now they can trade in a package for a good , defensive C.

Id like to see Kandi in a Mavs uniform.......but I don't know how they could get him.

I guess if Shard signs with the Mavs, that would be a very impressive line-up, they'll even probably lead the league in scoring without a doubt.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Lewis is just using Dallas as leverage in his contract negotiations with Seattle. So far, the Sonics haven't blinked, and I HOPE that they WON'T. The offer the Sonics have on the table--6 years, $70 mil--is completely reasonable. Lewis, like a lot of guys, doesn't understand the new NBA marketplace. Hopefully, he'll come to his senses and take Seattle's offer.

The Mavs can offer him 3 years, $15 mil (or something like that). And what kind of numbers will he put up in Dallas? He'll be the #4 scoring option for that team--doesn't he understand that? After three years of being the #4 scoring option for the Mavs, how is he going to re-enter the free agent market and get a MAX OFFER? Answer: HE AIN'T.

Like I said, I HOPE the Sonics don't blink, their offer is completely reasonable. If they DO blink, they'll screw up their chances of landing a top free agent next summer. Of course, if Lewis takes all this personally and actually DOES sign with Dallas, WELL, that sucks--but it's not the end of the world for Seattle.

BOTTOM LINE: When you pay for POTENTIAL, rather than PERFORMANCE, you end up with a Keith Van Horn, or an Austin Croshere, or... well, the list goes on and on. Lewis isn't WORTH the max, so DON'T GIVE IT TO HIM! And, hopefully, the Sonics WON'T.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Anyone think that the Mavs game plan is to score 130 a night? I don't care how bad your D is, you're gonna be one of the top 5 teams in the L scoring like that!

Now for Shard, I hope he signs ANYWHERE but Seattle. They d*icked him around long enough...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I disagree

Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!
Lewis is just using Dallas as leverage in his contract negotiations with Seattle. So far, the Sonics haven't blinked, and I HOPE that they WON'T. The offer the Sonics have on the table--6 years, $70 mil--is completely reasonable. Lewis, like a lot of guys, doesn't understand the new NBA marketplace. Hopefully, he'll come to his senses and take Seattle's offer.

The Mavs can offer him 3 years, $15 mil (or something like that). And what kind of numbers will he put up in Dallas? He'll be the #4 scoring option for that team--doesn't he understand that? After three years of being the #4 scoring option for the Mavs, how is he going to re-enter the free agent market and get a MAX OFFER? Answer: HE AIN'T.

Like I said, I HOPE the Sonics don't blink, their offer is completely reasonable. If they DO blink, they'll screw up their chances of landing a top free agent next summer. Of course, if Lewis takes all this personally and actually DOES sign with Dallas, WELL, that sucks--but it's not the end of the world for Seattle.

BOTTOM LINE: When you pay for POTENTIAL, rather than PERFORMANCE, you end up with a Keith Van Horn, or an Austin Croshere, or... well, the list goes on and on. Lewis isn't WORTH the max, so DON'T GIVE IT TO HIM! And, hopefully, the Sonics WON'T.

Won't get the max when he re-enters FA? Wrong..........At least on team will offer him it: Dallas. Mark Cuban is all about winning. He doesn't care about luxury tax. He knows you have to spend money to make a team good, and the players happy. Players that are disgruntled tend not to preform as well as when they are content.

Cuban knows that if he signs Rashard Lewis, his stats will go down. Bu don't think for one minute he wont re-up Rashard to a much bigger deal when the contract expires. If Dallas wins more with Rashard, Cuban will keep him...............regardless of cost, thats what Mark Cuban is about.

I hope he does sign with Dallas. Seattle hasnt shown much loyalty to him. Lewis rejected a much larger Toronto deal to re-sign with Seattle, which Seattle said they'd take care of him. Negotiations have gone slow.

To Lewis: You want loyalty and money, accept Dallas's offer. In 3 years, cash in with Dallas. Cuban takes care of his players......he will do the same with you.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kobeshaq0834</b>!
Mavs shoud trade Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley for Ben Wallace....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
MAYBE THEN..............

But Lewis won't help them that much
That would be an awesome trade for the Mavs but i doubt the Pistons would do it since they already have Billups ans Stackhouse at the guard slots. Adding Lewis would make the Mavs offense even more unstoppable. The Mavs problem is playing Defense. They can never beat the Lakers unless they learn how to play Defense.

DEFENSE is the only thing holding the Mavs back from being CHAMPIONSHIPS

DEFENSE wins CHAMPIONSHIPS

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Cuban might trade Lewis later on!

Originally posted by <b>Thrilla!</b>

Won't get the max when he re-enters FA? Wrong..........At least on team will offer him it: Dallas. Mark Cuban is all about winning. He doesn't care about luxury tax. He knows you have to spend money to make a team good, and the players happy. Players that are disgruntled tend not to preform as well as when they are content.

Cuban knows that if he signs Rashard Lewis, his stats will go down. Bu don't think for one minute he wont re-up Rashard to a much bigger deal when the contract expires. If Dallas wins more with Rashard, Cuban will keep him...............regardless of cost, thats what Mark Cuban is about.

I hope he does sign with Dallas. Seattle hasnt shown much loyalty to him. Lewis rejected a much larger Toronto deal to re-sign with Seattle, which Seattle said they'd take care of him. Negotiations have gone slow.

To Lewis: You want loyalty and money, accept Dallas's offer. In 3 years, cash in with Dallas. Cuban takes care of his players......he will do the same with you.
But remember Cuban is trade happy. Once Lewis signs with Dallas for the mid-level exception, he instantly becomes more valuable to practically every other team than he is for Dallas, because every other team will value that low salary much, much more than will Cuban. Also, since Dallas hardly needs another scorer, I suspect that other teams are going to value Lewis as a player much more highly than Dallas will.

This will create incredible pressure for Cuban to trade Lewis to take advantage of very attractive trade offers he is sure to get. And he will have needs, such as shoring up the defense or acquiring a promising big man, etc. And there are two things we know about Cuban - (1) he is willing to shell out the big bucks and (2) he loves to make trades.

Of course, Cuban will hesitate, because trading Lewis may make it harder to sign FAs in the future. But Cuban wants to win so bad that he can taste it, and he wants to win yesterday, so he is very likely to make one of these deals. Ask Tim Hardaway about how much loyalty has to players he signs.

So where does this leave Lewis. If he signs with Dallas, he should figure there probably is a better than 50/50 chance that he will be playing somewhere else three years from now. And it is likely that that team will not be willing to pay him the max.

And Lewis will be screwed once again.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
salary

If Shawn Marion gets the max, then Lewis deserves it too. Lewis is taller and as talented. Seattle is living dangerously. I think around 75 million would be fine.

But yes, Dallas needs defense and Lewis does not give them that.
READ: Lewis will not improve the Mavs that much.
READ: He is not the missing piece to a Mavericks championship.

Trade Dirk Nowitzki and whoever else for Kevin Garnett, then sign Rashard Lewis and see what happens. IMO, Garnett would be much better than Dirk... but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SS_Solid_Snake</b>!
Anyone think that the Mavs game plan is to score 130 a night? I don't care how bad your D is, you're gonna be one of the top 5 teams in the L scoring like that!

Now for Shard, I hope he signs ANYWHERE but Seattle. They d*icked him around long enough...

What if you have an off night shooting?? Then they're gonna go down big time cause they have no D to rely on if they need it. Defense is what gets you through the playoffs, not offense.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Shard probably heading off to Texas - Mavs or Rockets??

I just read on foxsports today, that the Sonics and Lewis are no where close to finalizing a deal for the Max, The Sonics might just let him go and a sign and trade deal is not an option either, no compensation. The Sonics are probably gonna loose GP, he wants an EXT, but are far from that as well......What are the Sonics thinking?? atleast show some respect for their veteran in GP.:no: :upset: :eek:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
NCBullsfan has a nice post here, you guys should read it.

The thing you guys need to understand about Mark Cuban is that he thinks like a CEO--he thinks of his players as commodities--he TAKES CARE of his commodities, sure, but they're COMMODITIES--and, as NCBullsfan correctly points out, Rashard Lewis at $5 mil/year is INCREDIBLE trade bait--he could turn Lewis into something even BETTER--and he won't hesitate to do it!

Players aren't loyal to owners, owners aren't loyal to players--this is a BUSINESS, and Lewis needs to understand that--Seattle is making him a FAIR OFFER--Lewis is NOT the player that Shawn Marion is, why should he make as much money as Marion? As for Lewis not getting any more money than Raef LaFrentz--well, LaFrentz is a big guy, and Lewis isn't, big guys ALWAYS get more than non-big guys because THIS IS A BIG MAN'S GAME!

Lewis needs to realize that Seattle IS taking care of him, they ARE making him a reasonable offer, they are making him the best offer that he's gonna get by a LOOOOOOOONG shot. He AIN'T gonna sign for 3 years $15 mil with ANYBODY--he CONTINUES to use Dallas and whoever else as leverage in contract negotiations with Seattle, his agent CONTINUES to leak out all these "Lewis is on the verge of signing with the Mavs" and "Contract negotiations with Seattle have broken down completely" rumors so as to scare the $HIT out of Seattle! C'mon, people! Lewis WILL re-sign with Seattle as soon as he realizes that they AIN'T gonna give him the max! He doesn't deserve the max! What has he ever done to deserve the max? NOTHING!

Anyway, NCBullsfan is correct--Lewis AIN'T gonna eventually get maxed out by Mark Cuban because Lewis AIN'T gonna play for more than a season or so with the Mavs before he GETS TRADED. And, if he hasn't improved quite a bit in three years, when this 3 year $15 mil deal is up, he AIN'T gonna get the max! He AIN'T even gonna get the kind of money that Seattle is offering him right now! He AIN'T necessarily gonna keep getting better! And if you give him the MAX, he has NO INCENTIVE to get any better! Seattle learned their lesson with Vin Baker, they AIN'T gonna give a non-superstar the max again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts