Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6'11 Wallace, who worked out with the Knicks over the weekend, retired two years ago after a disappointing season with Boston. His agent Bill Strickland told The Post this morning he has not begun formal contract negotiations with the Knicks and wouldn't confirm the decision was made.

Wallace would make the veteran's minimum of 1.7 million. Strickland said if Wallace plays it would only be with the Knicks because of his relationship with coach Mike Woodson, who was a Pistons assistant when Detroit won the title with Wallace as one of its stars.

The Knicks looked at it as a no-risk move. Wallace is a stout defender, who can hit the 3-pointer. Tyson Chandler told The Post on Wednesday that Wallace "looked good in workouts and could be a big help."

The Post reported Tuesday the Knicks wanted to sign Wallace, but it was up to him whether he could dedicate himself to getting into NBA shape.
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/rasheed_coming_out_source_retirement_0C09SYUZTn81j5XqCR3BWI

38-Year-Old Rasheed Wallace Would Only Be The Fourth-Oldest Player On Knicks Roster

82-0

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
He needs money.

But anyone saying "hope he can still play" and stuff like that needs to realize he can't. He couldn't two years ago, so he sure as hell can't now.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I don't know if he needs the money or not, but some guys just can't walk away from the game. He looked done in Boston, that much is certain.

·
I am a hoopster that's hip
49 Posts
He needs money.

But anyone saying "hope he can still play" and stuff like that needs to realize he can't. He couldn't two years ago, so he sure as hell can't now.
He must have done some serious blowing of his cash he earned throughout his playing career to need money again.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KNICKS SIGN RASHEED WALLACE

October 03, 01:54 PM EDT

NEW YORK, October 3, 2012 – New York Knickerbockers Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations and General Manager Glen Grunwald announced today that the team has signed free agent forward/center Rasheed Wallace to a contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Wallace, 6-11, 230-pounds, holds career averages of 14.6 points, 6.7 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.33 blocks over 33.0 minutes in 1,088 games (956 starts) over 15 seasons with Washington, Portland, Atlanta, Detroit and Boston. He is a four-time NBA All Star (2000, 2001, 2006, 2008), who won an NBA Championship with Detroit in 2004, alongside then-assistant coach Mike Woodson.

He last played for Boston in 2009-10, averaging 9.0 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.0 assists over 22.5 minutes in 79 regular season games (13 starts) and 6.1 points and 3.0 rebounds over 17.1 minutes in 24 postseason games (one start). He was originally selected by Washington in the first round (fourth overall) of 1995 NBA Draft, following his sophomore season at the University of North Carolina.
http://knicksnow.com/posts/1721/knicks-sign-rasheed-wallace

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Is there any article or proof that he needs money

TBH unless he made bad investments the guy dressed like a bum and was never that flashy

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Is there any article or proof that he needs money

TBH unless he made bad investments the guy dressed like a bum and was never that flashy
Neither did guys like Oak and he was poor even when he was still playing.

Rasheed comes off dumb as shit when you hear him speak, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got roped into some bad investments and handing out money to friends and relatives.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
I don't know I'm not just going to assume a guy is broke with no evidence. I hope it's not to the point where a guy who's played basketball all his life is coming back to the game and instead of saying he missed the game we're gonna just say "meh, he probably needs the money"

It'll come out though if he is

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
It's not like he's going to play at all. He's behind Chandler, Camby, Amar'e, Kurt Thomas, Melo when he plays the 4, and possibly even Henry Sims. He's a practice player, simple as that. He looked rather cooked while he was in Boston, but keep in mind he's had 2 years off. If he's not terribly out of shape, I'm sure he can handle practicing and playing the occasional 10 minutes when the Knicks' frontline is all in foul trouble or an injury bug hits. You could do worse than bringing in a tough veteran presence for the minimum, especially considering he's just an extra body.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Best part was reading that a guy thats been retired for two years and was playing for UNC before Anthony Davis was born is only the 4th oldest player on the roster.

The Knicks would go 82-0 if they had the same roster ten years ago. Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, Mike Bibby, Camby, Sheed... even Amare, Chandler and Melo were all over 18.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
It's not like he's going to play at all. He's behind Chandler, Camby, Amar'e, Kurt Thomas, Melo when he plays the 4, and possibly even Henry Sims. He's a practice player, simple as that. He looked rather cooked while he was in Boston, but keep in mind he's had 2 years off. If he's not terribly out of shape, I'm sure he can handle practicing and playing the occasional 10 minutes when the Knicks' frontline is all in foul trouble or an injury bug hits. You could do worse than bringing in a tough veteran presence for the minimum, especially considering he's just an extra body.
Agreed. He'll hit some 3's and defend low post players pretty well. Upgrade over Josh Harrelson.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 22 Posts