Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is being reported that the Warriors and Blazers may be discussing a deal with Rasheed Wallace, Nick Van Exel and Erick Dampier as the principal players.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Slasher</b>!
It is being reported that the Warriors and Blazers may be discussing a deal with Rasheed Wallace, Nick Van Exel and Erick Dampier as the principal players.
If you're gonna use the word "reported," please provide a link. Otherwise, it'll just be classified as just another of the countless rumors.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Rasheed Wallace to Warriors?

Originally posted by <b>ssmokinjoe</b>!

If you're gonna use the word "reported," please provide a link. Otherwise, it'll just be classified as just another of the countless rumors.
The least of my worries is what is classified in your files. Take it what its worth, don't complain.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
Just another of all the "rumored" deals involved with Wallace.

We'll see if the Warriors have the balls to pull off this deal....
I think the Blazers will be the ones who shy away from this deal. Dampier is having a great season, but any team has to wonder if his better health will last and whether he can keep it up for several more seasons. Van Exel is not that young and the Blazers are rebuilding in youth.

For a season or two, this is pretty decent value, but Wallace represents better value to the Blazers over the longer term, I imagine.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Rasheed Wallace to Warriors?

Originally posted by <b>Slasher</b>!

The least of my worries is what is classified in your files. Take it what its worth, don't complain.
whoa.

sensitive.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

I think the Blazers will be the ones who shy away from this deal. Dampier is having a great season, but any team has to wonder if his better health will last and whether he can keep it up for several more seasons. Van Exel is not that young and the Blazers are rebuilding in youth.

For a season or two, this is pretty decent value, but Wallace represents better value to the Blazers over the longer term, I imagine.
Dampier has a PO, and Van Exel does too. In part perhaps that is why they are trading for them. They are short contracts which still allow them to go after a FA next year, and they play 2 of the more lacking positions in regards to talent, Center and PG. Right now whom is the Blazers' PG or Center?

It's not a long term thing here...

-Petey

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!

Dampier has a PO, and Van Exel does too. In part perhaps that is why they are trading for them.
Well, I don't really believe Portland is trading for them. And there's no way NVE is going to decline his PO. He couldn't dream of making that much with a fresh contract. So Portland would be on the hook for his very high salary next season.

They are short contracts which still allow them to go after a FA next year, and they play 2 of the more lacking positions in regards to talent, Center and PG. Right now whom is the Blazers' PG or Center?
Wallace is playing center, now that Miles has taken the small forward spot. I think Wallace is more talented than Dampier, whether at power forward or at center.

Nick Van Exel would be a nice upgrade on Stoudamire, but he's only a very short-term answer. A rental of Van Exel isn't worth losing Wallace.

If I'm Portland, I'd prefer to just re-sign Wallace for less than he's currently making (which would still likely be more than any other team could/would offer him).

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
remember that we wear the police uniform to play with Sheed.

salary dump,salary dump,

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Oh crap, this does get boring when people don't believe rumors that are reported in the papers! Gee whiz, I'll believe it when I see it.

San Francisco Chronicle

More on NVE/Dampier rumor
Brad Weinstein of the San Francisco Chronicle offers some contractual details on Nick Van Exel and Erick Dampier - two players rumored to be headed to Portland for Rasheed Wallace:
Dampier, whom the Warriors are pushing for All-Star consideration, can opt out of the last two years of his contract (worth about $17 million) and become a free agent after the season. He has maintained all season that he has not decided what he will do.

Van Exel also can test the market this summer. He is making $10.9 million this season, and his contract includes an $11.8 million player option for 2004- 05 and a $12.9 million team option for 2005-06.
Tony Dutt, the agent for Van Exel, says "there is no question'' the Blazers and Warriors have talked trade, but he adds it's standard procedure for teams to be talking as the Feb. 19 trade deadline approaches.

Oregonlive.com

Golden State trade rumor
I just got off the phone with Jason Quick, who confirmed he is investigating a trade rumor involving the Blazers and Warriors.

Quick reported on Sports Radio 910 The Fan last night the principal players involved could be Rasheed Wallace, Nick Van Exel and Erick Dampier.

RealGM.com

Nick Van Exel's agent believes that his client will be traded before the February 19 Trading Deadline.

Tony Dutt believes that their is a 60-40 chance that the Golden State Warriors will make a move.

"My gut feeling is that they're going to try to make a deal that makes sense for Nick and makes sense for them,'' Dutt said in a telephone interview from Houston, where Van Exel has spent the week dealing with a family matter. An injured Van Exel is expected to be in the Bay Area today, but when he plays again is uncertain."

ESPN.com

Ford: Can 'Sheed save the Warriors?
A rumored Rasheed Wallace-for-Nick Van Exel-and-Erick Dampier trade makes sense for everybody.

Hoopsworld.com

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that he made this one up, but who really cares about rumors? This deal makes some sense for the Blazers, but I like the way the team is playing with Wallace at center and that could be the deal breaker. :yes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dear God,

Please tell me this trade is all a fake. Rasheed Wallace... a Warrior? It can't be!! And trading Nick Van Exel AND Dampier for him, doesn't that sound a little crazy. We first traded Antawn Jamison for Nick, and now we are trading him and damp for that pot smoking - foul mouthed player. Well .... OK if we do go through with this trade, then we can surely say, Gary St. Jean is a confused idiot of a GM! THE END

GO ADONAL! 6 points, 12 rebounds, and 2 blocks in the Warriors DOMINANCE over the Chicago Bulls!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HOWIE</b>!
Oh crap, this does get boring when people don't believe rumors that are reported in the papers! Gee whiz, I'll believe it when I see it.

San Francisco Chronicle

More on NVE/Dampier rumor
Brad Weinstein of the San Francisco Chronicle offers some contractual details on Nick Van Exel and Erick Dampier - two players rumored to be headed to Portland for Rasheed Wallace:
Dampier, whom the Warriors are pushing for All-Star consideration, can opt out of the last two years of his contract (worth about $17 million) and become a free agent after the season. He has maintained all season that he has not decided what he will do.

Van Exel also can test the market this summer. He is making $10.9 million this season, and his contract includes an $11.8 million player option for 2004- 05 and a $12.9 million team option for 2005-06.
Tony Dutt, the agent for Van Exel, says "there is no question'' the Blazers and Warriors have talked trade, but he adds it's standard procedure for teams to be talking as the Feb. 19 trade deadline approaches.

Oregonlive.com

Golden State trade rumor
I just got off the phone with Jason Quick, who confirmed he is investigating a trade rumor involving the Blazers and Warriors.

Quick reported on Sports Radio 910 The Fan last night the principal players involved could be Rasheed Wallace, Nick Van Exel and Erick Dampier.

RealGM.com

Nick Van Exel's agent believes that his client will be traded before the February 19 Trading Deadline.

Tony Dutt believes that their is a 60-40 chance that the Golden State Warriors will make a move.

"My gut feeling is that they're going to try to make a deal that makes sense for Nick and makes sense for them,'' Dutt said in a telephone interview from Houston, where Van Exel has spent the week dealing with a family matter. An injured Van Exel is expected to be in the Bay Area today, but when he plays again is uncertain."

ESPN.com

Ford: Can 'Sheed save the Warriors?
A rumored Rasheed Wallace-for-Nick Van Exel-and-Erick Dampier trade makes sense for everybody.

Hoopsworld.com

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that he made this one up, but who really cares about rumors? This deal makes some sense for the Blazers, but I like the way the team is playing with Wallace at center and that could be the deal breaker. :yes:
That's better. :grinning:

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ssmokinjoe</b>!

That's better. :grinning:
Just trying to help out, I'm not crazy about the trade as a Blazer fan, but they could do a lot worse! :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
am I the only one that doesnt see the big benefit for Golden State here?

Dampier, a center having a breakout season
Van Exel, Overpaid veteran that should be traded

for

Wallace, a great SF/PF

Now this might make sense if Golden State didnt have a SF or a PF, but they do, Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Troy Murphy. While the desire to get rid of Van Exel might be tempting, I think giving up Dampier and the cluttering of the depth chart is worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts