Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

5821 - 5840 of 8114 Posts

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Frances Conroy, Freddy Rodriguez, Rachel Griffiths, and Jeremy Sisto all get a lot of work. Even Lauren Ambrose was one of the leads in Where The Wild Things Are.

The real surprise is that Peter Krause didn't blow up. He's a really good actor and he was especially fantastic in Six Feet Under.

It's no surprise that Michael C. Hall made it big, though. He's extremely talented. Can't wait to see him put together a successful film career.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,822
Frances Conroy, Freddy Rodriguez, Rachel Griffiths, and Jeremy Sisto all get a lot of work. Even Lauren Ambrose was one of the leads in Where The Wild Things Are.

The real surprise is that Peter Krause didn't blow up. He's a really good actor and he was especially fantastic in Six Feet Under.

It's no surprise that Michael C. Hall made it big, though. He's extremely talented. Can't wait to see him put together a successful film career.
Hmm... well I guess not to the level of work I'd expect from such a great cast. I personally haven't heard of them in anything, but you know more than I. But yah, as you mentioned, Peter Krause is especially terrific... surprised as well that he hasn't blown up.

What did you think of the series?

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
I loved Six Feet Under. And while there was a storyline or two that I didn't like (the one with David, you know what I'm talking about), I would probably put it at #2 behind The Wire for my favorite TV dramas. Though a brilliant last season from L O S T could change that.

I just thought everything about the series was done so remarkably well. The writing, directing, acting, editing, and so on. It was technically brilliant.

·
Registered
7,264 Posts
Gran Torino- what a flaming load of poo. 2 out of 10

I haven't seen such bad acting and stereotypical characters in a while.

BOOO THIS MAN

ok that movie at the very least deserves a 5/10 for having Clint Eastwood as a lovable old racist douche.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Brothers 3/5

This is probably Tobey Maguire's best performance. Really I liked all of the acting, but it was handled heavy handed as you could see the themes jump out at you and clobber you upside the head. I think the acting performances were greater than the material. What I loved the most though was the constant uncomfortable silences when Tommy first got home.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
It was good it on a different level. Not Academy level. I thought it was hilarious and never get sick of it.

Gran Torino was nothing remotely what I expected and didn't deserve any critical praise. So yes I did look at them differently.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
9 - 5/10

Stunning visuals, but the storyline lacked depth. It seemed like they were still developing the story and all of a sudden it was over.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Transformers 2- everything about this movie sucked except for insane megan fox sexiness
It wasn't wretched. I mean, it was better than the first by far. Granted it was a lot of big explosions for explosion's sake and it really didn't make any sense, but it was funny because of that. I actually found myself laughing at this movie more than shocked at how bad it was. It actually, became somewhat enjoyable at how ridiculously bad it was. It was quite literally the tv show in live action format. I appreciated that.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Miller's Crossing 9/10

Paid in full 8/10

New Jack City 5/10

Bball Diaries 7/10

25th Hour

Monsters Inc 8/10

The Hustler 9/10

The Color of Money 7/10

Das Experiment 6/10

Glengarry Glen Ross 10/10

The Wrestler 7/10

Religulous 6/10

The Machinist 8/10

Its a Sunny Christmas 7/10

Dark City 7/10

that is all for now

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Oh, and I broke down and saw Invictus tonight, it was actually much better than I expected. Despite all the "We've got more schmaltz than a bukkake video!!!" warning signs in the previews, Eastwood does a fair job with the material. In a sense avoiding the traps that films like "The Greatest Game Ever Played" fell into by keeping the sports metaphors in their proper context (the movie is more about Nelson Mandela's heroic task in keeping a country that had every reason to erupt in an orgy of ethnic/tribal violence from doing just that, and the small but vital role played by the 1995 World Cup team in that endeavour). I can't give it a 5/5, but I can give it solid four stars.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
A lot of what I've heard about Invictus is that Eastwood took an especially remarkable story and made it into an especially unremarkable movie. What are your thoughts on that?

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
State of Play - 5/10.
Unoriginal, predictable. Love Rachel McAdams, though.

Winged Creatures (also known as Fragments) - 6/10
About the effects on witnesses of a shooting at a diner in a small town. Unambitious, well-acted, kind of thoughtful (or at least had a thoughtful air about it). But I'm not really sure what the point was. Clearly it wasn't out to make big bucks. It wasn't entertaining. And yet it didn't try to tell you much about anything either.

Step Brothers - 4/10
Will Ferrell movie about two developmentally delayed 40-year olds who become step brothers.
Had in its 2 hrs maybe 5 good laughs and 6-8 half laughs. Overall it was kind of embarrassing to sit through.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,840
I think you can leave Invictus with two different mindsets -- either you enjoyed it for what it was, or you felt frustrated by what it could have been. You look at the story behind the movie, along with the cast and director, and it's fair to expect a deeply layered drama with complex characters and plot lines. However, it's more of an inspirational sports movie that lacks the depth of what you'd expect given the context of the movie. Freeman is wonderful as Mandella, but there's no real depth to his character in this movie; same goes for Damon's character. Having said that, the story itself is so fascinating and Eastwood does a great job of telling an inspiring story. I still thought it was great although I definitely understand the criticisms.

5821 - 5840 of 8114 Posts