Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

6821 - 6840 of 8114 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Step Brothers had some funny stuff the first time I watched. I should've never watched again but I've seen it a lot because my brother loves it. It doesn't hold up to repeated viewings.
It certainly has its moments and good one-liners, but that style of comedy has been done at a higher level before. It's just very average for a Will Ferrell comedy; it doesn't stand out from the rest of his library. For over-the-top yet semi-realistic slapstick comedies, I prefer Wedding Crashers.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
It certainly has its moments and good one-liners, but that style of comedy has been done at a higher level before. It's just very average for a Will Ferrell comedy; it doesn't stand out from the rest of his library. For over-the-top yet semi-realistic slapstick comedies, I prefer Wedding Crashers.
It would have been hilarious if they used 17 year olds and had them deliver the lines

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,823
Step Brothers had some funny stuff the first time I watched. I should've never watched again but I've seen it a lot because my brother loves it. It doesn't hold up to repeated viewings.
Hmm interesting. The first time I watched it I felt it was mediocre at best, but after repeated viewings it has slowly but surely become one of my favorite comedies. FYI: I feel like a retard admitting that.. but yeah, true story.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,824
Oh yeah,

The Lives of Others -- 9/10. Pretty much flawless in terms of movie makin'. It's a german film -- won best foreign film at the Oscars a few years ago. Watch it if you like movies and not two hours of explosions.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Jennifer's Body 6/10

It could have been good, but they took it to the wrong place. I liked it up until the last 30 minutes. It reminded me of other dark comedies like Jawbreaker and Heathers.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Oh yeah,

The Lives of Others -- 9/10. Pretty much flawless in terms of movie makin'. It's a german film -- won best foreign film at the Oscars a few years ago. Watch it if you like movies and not two hours of explosions.
One of my favorite movies. Good stuff.

Anyway, I recently did some nostalgia viewing to see if these movies hold up well...

Labyrinth - 8/10

Outside of the now obvious subtext between David Bowie's Goblin King character being a child molester and having the hots for Jennifer Connelly, this movie does hold up pretty well. The set design and costumes are all still pretty top notch, but of course what would one expect from a Jim Henson film. And the story and journey of the character is still pretty entertaining. All around I felt the same way about this movie now than I did when I watched it as a kid, and that's about the best compliment I can give for this type of movie. Good stuff.

The Never Ending Story - 6/10

Really, really not digging this one as much. The acting, something I wouldn't have noticed as a child, is abysmal. Truly abysmal. The opening of the movie is crud. You get a set up of a boy's relationship with his father after the death of his mother, expecting that it will lead towards something. No. It's just a set up for the sake of being a set up. The journey isn't all that special either. A boy talks to a turtle, flies a dragon, passes a gate, and the world starts to end, and then we find that all he needed to do was have the boy give the princess a name. The obstacles aren't that creative, like they are in Labyrinth, it's just sort of allegorical bull**** about dreams and inspiration and whatnot. But none of that matters, because I could have dealt with all that if the movie was still entertaining, but it wasn't. Just sort of lame.

·
hmmmmmm
5,927 Posts
saw 'the killer inside me' & watched 'the passion of joan of arc' last night

re: killer inside
great supporting cast, affleck remains somewhat mysterious as an actor. feel like i missed out on a lot of the comedic undercurrent cuz the violence towards women was so awful. 7/10 (could fluctuate)

re: joan of arc
weird watching a silent flick. haven't felt so weird in the brain watching a movie since i did my 'transformers 2'/'limits of control' double feature. the woman was quite good & it was interesting how well she was rendered vs. how cartoonish everyone else seemed. villains, synchophants, etc. it's like, i dunno, we were supposed to see everything from her wearied perspective. can't really rate it but it was a good thing to watch. gotta get back into the serious movie watchin game.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
One of my favorite movies. Good stuff.

Anyway, I recently did some nostalgia viewing to see if these movies hold up well...

Labyrinth - 8/10

Outside of the now obvious subtext between David Bowie's Goblin King character being a child molester and having the hots for Jennifer Connelly, this movie does hold up pretty well. The set design and costumes are all still pretty top notch, but of course what would one expect from a Jim Henson film. And the story and journey of the character is still pretty entertaining. All around I felt the same way about this movie now than I did when I watched it as a kid, and that's about the best compliment I can give for this type of movie. Good stuff.

The Never Ending Story - 6/10

Really, really not digging this one as much. The acting, something I wouldn't have noticed as a child, is abysmal. Truly abysmal. The opening of the movie is crud. You get a set up of a boy's relationship with his father after the death of his mother, expecting that it will lead towards something. No. It's just a set up for the sake of being a set up. The journey isn't all that special either. A boy talks to a turtle, flies a dragon, passes a gate, and the world starts to end, and then we find that all he needed to do was have the boy give the princess a name. The obstacles aren't that creative, like they are in Labyrinth, it's just sort of allegorical bull**** about dreams and inspiration and whatnot. But none of that matters, because I could have dealt with all that if the movie was still entertaining, but it wasn't. Just sort of lame.
I ****ing hate you.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
Just watched Gangs of New York for the first time since in the theaters... reminded me of how much i loved Daniel Day lewis as Bill the Butcher... one of the great movie characters of the last 10 years.. speaking of Leo movies im going to see Inception on Saturday and am pretty excited

·
Quite frankly, I'm...
14,767 Posts
The 11th Hour - 9/10

This is a well-explained documentary about Climate Change. I never expected Leo to be such a great narrator. He can do no-wrong.

Ameerka - 7/10

Story about a divorced Palestine woman and son, who are new to the U.S. and adjusting to its culture. Heart-warming and family values are core of this movie. Fun, family type. Not bad.

Singles - 8/10

There's no such great plot to it. But it's a great movie for those who grew up in 90s and are still fan of grunge music scene. I remember learning about Alice in Chains and Soundgarden from this movie. Funny, I was a huge fan of Pearl Jam at the beginning. But now I barely listen to them.

p.s whatever happened to Kyra Sedgwick? Did she go through the same situation like Virgina Madsen? Classy actresses with B and C grade movies. Such a waste of talent.

Here's a clip from the movie

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
She is the Closer now

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
^ I'm aware of that.

I think other movie I saw of her was Phenomenal with John Travolta.
She ruined that movie. Like worse than AIDS ruined African prostitutes. I almost liked that movie but every scene with her in it is just painful. I think that's what happened to her career.

·
Quite frankly, I'm...
14,767 Posts
^ I won't say that. She was alright. I remember seeing her first time in Born on 4th of July, and then few others. After that, Poof..gone..like you never heard about her until The Closer on TNT.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Kyra Sedgewick is so ugly that it pains me to see her on TV during those TNT commercials.
Me too! I don't know what type of role she's suppposed to have on that show but I just see a crappy show out in the middle of the desert.

·
Lifetime Member
24,723 Posts
RocknRolla

I do like Guy Ritchie, and once again, he's pulled out a solid, enjoyable film. Nothing that makes me want to watch it again, but I'm glad I've watched it once.

This is about as much as I can right in a review, with how hungover I feel right now.

6821 - 6840 of 8114 Posts