Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i kno i am gonna get bombed on when i say that Vince Carter is over rated, but i feel he is. He is a very good player and he draws the crowd and plays exciting basketball (when he's in the mood)
BUT i feel like he tends to back down from challenges, like when the Raps play teams with good SGs, he usually doesn't guard them, i remember one game against the Magic and McGrady put up good numbers while playing solid D on Carter while Peterson attempted to guard T-Mac... i have seen him soak his head in/under his shirt (i kno he's crying sometimes) when they are losing and he can't do a damn thing, i don't think u see the star player do that on ANY team other than the Raps...

He doesn't seem to have that mind set that he could take over a game, that he could single handledly win and carry his team. His nice guy personality gets old when ur losing, and when ur team wins without u.

Me and my friend were discussing this: if AI was in Raps instead of Vince.... i seriously believe they would have went to the FInals... SERIOUSLY... It seems to me that the Raps just have upgraded versions (cept point) at every position that would help AI even more. The front court is better suited for AI, Dike may get more boards but has not real post game, that hook is weak now, Coleman? please... Harpring plays no D but does board, McKie does a little of everything but i feel mo peterson does it better with more athleticism to run with AI, Davis has a solid post game/runs the floor and had shot blockers/hustlers/boards in JYD and Keon (when they had him)

was there a legit reason why carters started to perfer shooting instead of taking it to the rim?

The raps looked good but i feel VC ruined it, what do u guys think?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I do think you're being too hard on him. He's still developing. People ragged on Jordan at this stage in his career for not stepping up to the big challenges, not pushing his team to the next level. He needed time to live up to those challenges...and also a better team around him. I'm really not sold on the Raptors' roster, and was dumbfounded when they handed out those big contracts last summer.

As for Carter not always guarding the other elite shooting guards, that's not too unusual. When the Lakers were winning titles in the 80s, Magic Johnson rarely guarded the opposing team's best backcourt scorer. Byron Scott did. That kept Magic fresh. Same with Larry Bird. Neither the fact that Magic and Bird needed to conserve their energy sometimes to carry their offensively, nor the fact that they probably weren't all-world defenders in the first place, kept them from being all-time greats.

I'm not a huge Vince Carter fan. I don't have anything against him, I just don't follow him as much as I do some other players. But I think it's too early to judge him for good. At least wait to see how he answers the doubters this year.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Originally posted by Turtle219

Was there a legit reason why carters started to perfer shooting instead of taking it to the rim?
Yes... shooter's knee. You may not think that is a "real injury," but I have had it. It makes you doubt your ability. Makes you feel like the harder you land, the less you will be able to play. It made me scared to go in on the sissy big men in my Wednesday Night League. I can only imagine what tricks it played on the mind of a man that has to challenge Mutombo, O'Neal, Wallace, Rahim and the other East beasts in the middle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but mike didn't enjoy the level of popularity at this stage as Carter has as most people think he is in the top 5 (personally i don't think he's in the top 15...
You do bring out the point that he is still young,developing and some of the contracts may have been too much but the Raps felt they had to show they wanted to win and VC and the media probably pressured them to do so. You have to give out money to keep most players in this league.
Few players can stay in the NBA without offense, and evener fewer can be in the top ranks, but you have to show at least some effort and commitment towards defense to really be in the top group (in my mind).
i feel i am not being that critical, i call him cry baby cause he has cried in games on the bench doing nothing. i just wished he would go back to the Olympic attitude, gro the fro, and start showing some real passion towards the game...
i am not here to say he sucks, cause he clearly can score 30 a night if he really wanted to. i just wanted to kno how many people feel VC is one of the best players and y, i gave my reasons as to why not...

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
The haters will be silenced

Vince is going to come back with a vengance this season. Yes, he probably did cry once or twice, why? Because he knew it was his fault they were doing so bad because he was hurt. Now hes back to full health and ready to do some damage. Vince has the potential to be mvp, and what better season than this on to do it. Vince is comming, are the haters ready?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Re: Rate Vince Carter...

Originally posted by RollWithEm

Yes... shooter's knee.

Jumper's knee you mean?

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Actually...

My doctor has referred to it as both Jumper's and Shooter's knee. It is also a common injury in volleyball, but they don't exactly shoot. The real name for it is patellar tendonitis. Sorry if I confused you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i really dont care for vince but i still have to give him his due. vince, when healthy, is a legitmate star in the league. last season, he settled for too many jumpshots(partly due to the tendonitis) but when he's slashing through the lanes, he's among the best in the entire league.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
i kno i am gonna get bombed on when i say that Vince Carter is over rated, but i feel he is. He is a very good player and he draws the crowd and plays exciting basketball (when he's in the mood)
BUT i feel like he tends to back down from challenges, like when the Raps play teams with good SGs, he usually doesn't guard them, i remember one game against the Magic and McGrady put up good numbers while playing solid D on Carter while Peterson attempted to guard T-Mac... i have seen him soak his head in/under his shirt (i kno he's crying sometimes) when they are losing and he can't do a damn thing, i don't think u see the star player do that on ANY team other than the Raps...

He doesn't seem to have that mind set that he could take over a game, that he could single handledly win and carry his team. His nice guy personality gets old when ur losing, and when ur team wins without u.
This guy Turtle had Vince pegged back in 2002. I just wish I would've seen what he saw, then. I would've wasted a lot less time pulling for him to succeed.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Well I look bad in this bump for sure.
Still think it's okay for star players to cry into a towel on the sidelines?

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
I was thinking the same as you back then. I don't blame you one bit.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Haha, jokes on you two losers.

I was always more of an Iverson fan who knew after his MVP season he was going to start playing more of a team game and be less selfish and be the true leader we all knew he could.

Oh...

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Just like Waltaaaah, always taking a chance to bust some baaaawls.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts