Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of grade do you give your GM for trades?
What grade do you give your GM for drafting?

Clev Cavs/Jim Paxson:

He dumped huge salaries in Kemp, Bobby Sura, Tractor Traylor, Ced Henderson, Wesley Person, Chris Gatling in trades. Who of these are starters? Nobody. Trades: B

Made major mistakes in draft- Trajon Langdon, possibly Chris Mihm, and Sagana Diop. Got Andre and Wagner. Drafting: D+

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mongolmike</b>!

Clev Cavs/Jim Paxson:

He dumped huge salaries in Kemp, Bobby Sura, Tractor Traylor, Ced Henderson, Wesley Person, Chris Gatling in trades. Who of these are starters? Nobody. Trades: B

Made major mistakes in draft- Trajon Langdon, possibly Chris Mihm, and Sagana Diop. Got Andre and Wagner. Drafting: D+
In strictly Memphis only -

I would give Jerry West an A for trades, because he traded scrubs for starters in Giricek and Person.

I would give Jerry West a B- in the draft department. Archibald was a huge mistake over Boozer, and Gooden was just an okay pick over Stoudamire.

I would give Jerry West a C+ in signings. He hasn't really made many signing other than Earl Watson and Czery Trybanski. Watson would be an A- pick up in my mind, but getting Trybanski was a terrible move.

Overall, I would give Jerry West in Memphis a B.

Report Card -

Name: Jerry West

Trades:A
Drafting:B-
Signings:C+

Overall:B

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Detroit

GM Joe Dumars

Drafting C
Trading A-
Signing B

Joe Dumars has drafted Mateen Cleaves (bust), Brian Cardinal (2nd round pick traded), Rodney White (to early to tell but no longer with team), memhet okur (looks like a steal in the 2nd round) and Tayshuan Prince (looks like he could serviceable sf). Much to joes credit though he took mateen cleaves and traded him for Jon Barry and a 1st round pick. He traded rodney white but he was forced to. Rodney didn't want to spend another year on the bench so instead of having a malcontent he got a first rounder and a couple of players. Joe also took advantage of the phoenix suns when he traded jud buchelor and john wallace for uncle cliffy. He also made another good deal in getting rip hamiton. The only FA signing that comes to mind is Chauncey Billups. He gives the pistons a big pg something they lacked. So far he has been solid for the pistons.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
seattle sonics;
good and bad as is the case with most gm's.
wally walker had some real success with guys like rashard lewis in the second round and desmond mason as a later 1st rd pick,he also was wise to dump big vin baker and his even bigger salary.where they messed up in my opinion is,first they drafted vladimir radmonovic instead of troy murphy.i like vlade but they already had a 3 in lewis who they were high on and murphy would have give them more of an inside presence,especialy on the glass,then they turn around and pay lewis big money when they had vlade to play the 3.i think if they had traded lewis for more of an inside player they would have been better off.
draft:b+
trades/free agency:b-

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Houston Rockets- Carroll Dawson

Draft- A+
He got a once-in-a-lifetime center, what can you say. Only time will tell on Griffin and Nachbar. Also added star Cuttino Mobley in the 2nd round.

Trades- B+
Acquired Steve Francis, James Posey, only to name a few.

Signings- C+
3 hefty contracts with Cato, Taylor, and Rice.

Overall: B+

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sacramento Kings - Geoff Petrie

Draft: Brian Grant, Corliss Williamson, Peja Stojakovic, Jason Williams, Hedo Turkoglu, Gerald Wallace. Speaks for itself. A

Trades: Webber for Richmond, Bibby for Williams, Christie for Williamson. 3 of the best trades in recent memory. He did have two that didn't work out (Abdul-Wahad for Anderson was basically a wash - Cleaves for Barry looks terrible, but Barry was the Kings' 11th man at that point) but neither damaged the team significantly. A+

FA: Signed Bobby Jackson for a pittance (5yr/20 mil) when Minnesota let him go in favor of Will Avery (OOPS). Picked Scot Pollard up off the scrap heap (waived by Detroit and Atlanta, double OOPS). Got Keon Clark for the midlevel. Picked up Jim Jackson and Damon Jones. A+

Contracts: Webber has a gigantic contract, but at least he's worth it now (we'll see in 5 years). Christie is overpaid, but not terribly so. Bibby's true value is still up in the air (this year, he's looked like a MAX player 75% of the time, and like a mid-level exception player the other 25%), so Petrie gets a pass. Locking up Jackson and Stojakovic to relatively cheap deals was genius. Funderburke's contract (4 million per w/ 2 years left) to sit on the end of the bench was his only egregious mistake. B+

Overall: A+ - I don't think everyone realizes how bad Sacramento was before Petrie got to the controls. They had ZERO winning seasons - 0. He took a team that was the doormat of the NBA (even the Clips had their moments with Larry Brown), with 1 major assest (an aging Mitch Richmond) and turned them into an unquestioned NBA title contender.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Donnie Walsh

Draft: Pacers ussually draft pretty high besides the last season. In which they drafted Freddie Jones (don't know how good he will be yet) high draft picks in the last 5 drafts have been: Al Harrington (25th), Vonteego Cummings (22nd?, traded), Primoz Brezec (27th), no 1st round in 2001 (traded for Tinsley), Freddie Jones (14th). Harrington brings this grade up from just an average grade.

B

Trades: This is where Donnie seperates himself from other GMs. Dale Davis for Jermaine O'Neal; future first round pick for Jamaal Tinsley; Jalen Rose, Travis Best, Norm Richardson, 2nd round pick (Lonny Baxter) for Ron Artest, Brad Miller, Ron Mercer, and Kevin Ollie where all excellant trades that are make the core of this team for now and the future. The lone questionable trade was Antonio Davis for Jonathan Bender. But all together I'd havew to give Walsh the highest grade possible for trades.

A+

Signings: Walsh is known more for re-signing his current players than signing big free agents. Walsh has resigned Artest, Foster, and Bender. The signing that will bring this grade down is signing Croshere to his huge contract.

B (for keeping players.)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by <b>Mongolmike</b>!

Clev Cavs/Jim Paxson:

Since I posted this in June, this was prior to seeing Wagner and Boozer play..... both are true keepers, and Diop is making progress, so I will revise Paxson's drafting to a C grade.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Brian</b>!
Detroit

GM Joe Dumars

Drafting C
Trading A-
Signing B

Joe Dumars has drafted Mateen Cleaves (bust), Brian Cardinal (2nd round pick traded), Rodney White (to early to tell but no longer with team), memhet okur (looks like a steal in the 2nd round) and Tayshuan Prince (looks like he could serviceable sf). Much to joes credit though he took mateen cleaves and traded him for Jon Barry and a 1st round pick. He traded rodney white but he was forced to. Rodney didn't want to spend another year on the bench so instead of having a malcontent he got a first rounder and a couple of players. Joe also took advantage of the phoenix suns when he traded jud buchelor and john wallace for uncle cliffy. He also made another good deal in getting rip hamiton. The only FA signing that comes to mind is Chauncey Billups. He gives the pistons a big pg something they lacked. So far he has been solid for the pistons.
way to put a positive spin on the det-den trade for white. you gave up him for just about nothing but instead its dumping a 'malcontent'. hes playing great in denver and you got a low first that the pistons wont see for years and don reid. an A- for trading? i think not.

i guess that gives kiki an A+ for trading then.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mduke</b>!

Draft- A+
He got a once-in-a-lifetime center, what can you say. Only time will tell on Griffin and Nachbar. Also added star Cuttino Mobley in the 2nd round.

Trades- B+
Acquired Steve Francis, James Posey, only to name a few.

Signings- C+

Overall: B+
you cannot give dawson an A+ for drafting when it required no skill at all to get yao and was just the result of pure luck and ping pong balls. griffin has played below expectations so far (gave up jefferson) and nachbar was a bad pick up to this point. mobley was a great 2nd rounder but overall its at best a B for drafting.

signings should be lower. way too many bad deals handed out.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NugzFan</b>!

you cannot give dawson an A+ for drafting when it required no skill at all to get yao and was just the result of pure luck and ping pong balls. griffin has played below expectations so far (gave up jefferson) and nachbar was a bad pick up to this point. mobley was a great 2nd rounder but overall its at best a B for drafting.
Agreed, an A+ means that you are the VERY BEST at that area.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Lakers

Draft- A-
Getting Rush is looking really good now. Jackson didn't play him at all early on, but now that he is playing him, Rush looks be one of the best spot up shooters from the draft, and Lakers need guys who can hit open shots as their other role players have been inconsistant.

Trade- B+
Off w/ lindsey hunter and a lower pick for and getting rush and murry, good. I think rush will pay dividends in the long run

Signings- D-
Deaven George is a bust, for the money he is making....
Slava is a bust, although he's not getting paid that much...

Bad part is, they should have signed Keon clark instead of resigning george/slava... and Clark's D would have helped alot, his scrappy offence and rebounding would have been just what the lakers needed at PF.... someone athletic who would be effective w/o shooting much and who could help against the west's all-star PFs

Overall B-
George is coming along, but clark would have been so helpful. Rush was a great pickup.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts

Signings- C+
But didn't the Rockets trade for all of these players (except for maybe Taylor)?

They got Cato in the Blazers trade, Rice in the Knicks trade, and did they get Taylor in a Clippers trade?

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Damian Necronamous</b>!

But didn't the Rockets trade for all of these players (except for maybe Taylor)?

They got Cato in the Blazers trade, Rice in the Knicks trade, and did they get Taylor in a Clippers trade?
Plus, getting Francis wasn't really a good trade. The Grizzlies had to get rid of him due to Francis making threats not to sign nor play.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Spartanfan2003</b>!

Plus, getting Francis wasn't really a good trade. The Grizzlies had to get rid of him due to Francis making threats not to sign nor play.
Well, it was of course a good trade for the Rockets.

But Steve was whining that he was going to retire or something, so the Grizzlies had no other choice but to trade him, the Rockets just jumped in first.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts

They traded for Cato and Rice.....but Cato didn't have a huge contract when they got him. He had a great preseason and....voila, he gets 42 mil. Taylor got 40+ mil too.

I guess getting a top PG for an average SG(which is basically what the deal was) isn't a good trade?:confused:

its at best a B for drafting.
Regardless of how he did it, he got a franchise C, 20 ppg SG, and 2 guys packed with potentiail. That's 4 potential starters right there.....and you give him a B?

·
Registered
869 Posts
its at best a B for drafting.
Regardless of how he did it, he got a franchise C, 20 ppg SG, and 2 guys packed with potentiail. That's 4 potential starters right there.....and you give him a B?

Drafting Mobley is classic but to be fair, it didn't require a lot of skill for Rockets to draft Yao at No. 1. Everyone said it's a Yao/Williams draft and we happened to have a PG already. The jury is still out for Jefferson for EG and they passed on Rashard Lewis in 98. B is about right.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You knew it had to come, so here it is:

Scott Layden of the New York Knicks!

Easily the worst GM in the League:

Trades:
Ewing for some terrible contracts and some mid to late first round picks (see drafting). An injured Mcdyess and a late pick for an injured Camby and an early pick. An expiring mugsy bogues contract for Eisley and Anderson (see signings). A collective series of moves that has brought this once great franchise to its knees.
Grade: F

Drafting:
3 or 4 first round picks in 2000. All of them useless. A miserable track record for developing rookies. Even when we have the chance to draft a quality big man, we trade down to get an injured all star power forward, and a late first round pointguard who promptly goes on the IR without an injury. The Vujanic pick up in the second round may prove to have been a good move so I'll give him an
Grade: F+

Signings:
Allan Houston makes almost as much as Shaq. Eisley and Anderson combined make almost as much as Allan Houston. These guys will continue to make these insane amounts of money for years to come. Travis Knight makes about $4 million a year, and is awful. Worst dollars to talent ratio in the league.
Grade: F-

Over grade: F

This guy is a complete and total failure as a basketball executive, and I'm legitimately surprised he has not yet been tarred and feathered and dragged out of town by a horse.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NugzFan</b>!

way to put a positive spin on the det-den trade for white. you gave up him for just about nothing but instead its dumping a 'malcontent'. hes playing great in denver and you got a low first that the pistons wont see for years and don reid. an A- for trading? i think not.

i guess that gives kiki an A+ for trading then.
Rodney was not even going to see any pt this year considering that curry, williamson, and prince were ahead of him on the depth chart. So Joe was stuck he could have left rodney on the bench which rodney said he didn't want to spend another year on the bench so we would have had rodney complaining about pt and had we waited another year to trade him his value would have been even less. So yes it was a good trade for the pistons.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts