Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you all rate this year's top power forwards? Here is my list, based on a balance of potential, current ability, size, strength, intangibles, et cetera:

1) Nene Hilario
2) Chris Wilcox
3) Amare Stoudemire

-- the top three, I think, will become superstars--

4) Nickoloz Tskitishvili
5) Drew Gooden
6) Marcus Haislip
7) Melvin Ely
8) Carlos Boozer
9) Luis Scola
10) Sam Clancy

I really hope that Haislip turns out to be a player, because I like his gym-rat mentality... he's acting like a football player! (Coming from a good one, that's a good thing.) Except if he benches 400, and only squats 600... that's a horrible squat... but still, I'm sure, the best in the NBA. For a 400 bench, c'mon, Marcus, get 700! Tskeet, I think, may not have the bulk to play in the post for his first couple years, and he's raw. Not as raw as Mari, but raw, nonetheless. But if he can develop the solid fundamentals and post moves he learned in Europe, added to his skill, he could be a wonderful addition to some team down the line. Gooden is a guy I really don't like. He's quick, but not quick enough, and big, but not big enough. He's a real tweener. Can't play SF, but will get pushed around at PF, unless he does some heavy weight-gaining. His ability to take people off the dribble will be lessened in the NBA. Nene, from what tape I've seen, could become a poor man's Akeem the Dream. And, anybody half as good as Hakeem in his prime is an All Star! Melvin Ely would be higher, but he's already, what, 24? Wilcox just has SO much potential, and could still end up being a seven footer. So Nene and Wilcox are my two favorites in this draft. Amare will have to develop actual basketball skills, and he could join those top two.

How do you view this PF class?

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
I like Nickoloz Tskitishvili a lot. To tell you the truth, he'll probably be the best one, unless Hilario contends. You'd think Ely being able to play at 2 positions would give him the advantage, but no. IMO, Nene Hilario will probably out beat Tskito for the best Euro player. Yes, forget about Ming, he'll be back in China in 2 years. As for Haislip, he can be a good one. He's still way too raw. I like Sam Clancy a lot also. Maybe Phoenix will have mercy for the poor guy and draft him, lol. Remember he was injured in the draft. To quote one of your buddies, CoolHand "Drew Gooden's a, well you know. I don't agree with that. He'll be a very good pro, but not superstar. I definietly think Wilcox will do something in the league. All he needs to do is develop his Offensive game, he'll be great. Stoudemire is sorta like Wilcox also. He's a monster at boarding and defense, still needs an O game to become a player. I like Boozer, also. I'm a Dukie fan, so I always root for them. From what I hear, he'll be drafted by Charlotte. I hope that's not the case, because he'd be sitting behind Haston, who's already an injur reserve player. I'd like him to slip to LA, he'll get some PT there.

1.Nene
2.Nicko
3.Haislip
4.Stoudemire
5.Boozer

That's my opinion on this class...

·
Registered
924 Posts
--IMX Power Forward List---

1. Maybyner "Nene" Hilario 6-11 260 Vasco da Gama
2. Drew Gooden 6-10 230 Kansas
3. Chris Wilcox 6-10 221 Maryland
4. Nikoloz Tskitishvili 7-0 225 Benetton Treviso (Italy)
5. Amare Stoudemire 6-10 245 Cypress Creek HS (FL)
6. Marcus Haislip 6-10 230 Tennessee
7. Melvin Ely 6-10 260 Fresno State
8. Lee Benson Jr. 6-9 231 Brown Mackie JC (KS)
9. Sam Clancy 6-7 240 Southern California
10. Aaron McGhee 6-8 250 Oklahoma

·
Registered
372 Posts
CHL,you overrated strenght.You have said Nickloz may not have the bulk to play in the post.Well.Is Gasol bulked up?Not.Can he play in the post?Yes.In fact,he has showed a great post up game this year.He has made more dunks than anybody in league(Shaq belongs to another league¡ :yes: ),he has made good D in the paint,etc.
However,this Nickoloz is a big incognite.I think he has no post up game(because he isnt a post player).I have never watched this guy.Hell,he barely plays in his team.He plays 5 minutes per game.He MUST be very raw because if he was so good as many people say he would play much more minutes.7 footer,great shooter,very athletic,great handles?Put him in court¡So I guess he is very very raw.
I think he must be a top 7 pick.He has so much potential.And I can guarantee you one thing:Gasol was an average player 2 years ago(when he was 19).I meant an average player..In Europe.He had potential,and this Nickloz has potential.I think Nickoloz worths the risk

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sicky Dimpkins... what makes you think that anyone said that Nene was European? I didn't see it...

Anyway, have you seen him much? It's actually not a horrible comparison. He is very fluid, like the Dream. That's the biggest thing. Also, he has this sweet little fallaway move, like Hakeem.

And, Drew Gooden does need weight. Wilcox is actually up to 240. But there are other factors... for example, you never know who has a little extra fat. People can actually have big bones that add up to 20-25 pounds to their body. Stuff like that. Heck, just LOOK at them side by side. Look at some tape of the Kansas-Maryland FF game. Wilcox makes Gooden look like a weak girl. Amare could add 30-40 more pounds without changing his game, too.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I'm not saying that Hilario is AS GOOD AS Hakeem! No way! I'm just saying that their playing styles are similar!

Yeah, I think that Wilcox could eventually project as a center in the East, because he may still be growing.

Thanks for clarifying...

·
7,624 Posts
Originally posted by Sicky Dimpkins
"IMO, Nene Hilario will probably out beat
Tskito for the best Euro player." devestata :no: Just having a little fun with my fellow Bull fan. :)

I've never seen Hilario. Out of respect for Hakeem and a general dislike of comparing players who have never been in the NBA with those who have; I made the joke. Nothing personal.

Thanks for the update on the weight of Wilcox. He does have a bigger frame.

Gooden will probably see time at the 4 and the 3 while Wilcox will never play the 3. Different types of players. I saw the game so a tape isn't necessary. :cool:

Dang it Sicky, you know what I meant!! I meant Nene could be the best Foreign player!! lol.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I don't think Baby's playing style is all that simular to Hakeem's. His post moves aren't that polished and he is still relying too much on his athleticism. I see him getting pushed around a lot of in his rookie year. Remember what Martin and O'Neal did to him and that moppy-haired Brazilian in the Goodwill games?

Clancy is the big sleaper of the group. Give him two more inches and he probably goes top 3. He's a terror, and if Ben Wallace can lead the league in boards and blocks at 6'7" why can't Sam? They got the same build and athletic abilty. His jump shot is half decent as well.

I'm hoping that this knee injury slips him to the Lakers pick.

·
7,624 Posts
lol thanks. I guess i'm not the only who thinks Brazil is in Europe! j/k.

·
7,624 Posts
Oh yeah, sorry didn't catch that. It's 9 o clock at nite here, lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Lemme throw in my 2 cents

1. Maybyner "Nene" Hilario
2. Amare Stoudemire
3. Chris Wilcox
4. Drew Gooden
5. Nikoloz Tskitishvili
6. Marcus Haislip
7. Melvin Ely
8. Carlos Boozer
9. Luis Scola
10. Sam Clancy

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hey! Welcome CHL!

Personally I think that Gooden will have the most sucess in the NBA, mainly because of his amazing rebounding. Heres my list

1. Drew Gooden
2. Nikolos Tsiskivili
3. Chris Wilcox
4. Marvin Ely
5. Marcus Haislip

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
1. Drew Gooden
2. Nene Hilario
3. Nikoloz Tskitishvili

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
I think that Gooden will be way better than Niky Tsiky (short form, I am too lazy :D)

1. Gooden
2. Stoudemire
3. Hilario
4. Wilcox

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Have u actually ever seen Nene?

Have u actually ever seen Nene Hilario play? I doubt that u have. If you are believing all of this hype, then u shouldn't be ranking him No. 1. He only averaged 13ppg, and everyone calls him a great scorer. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: if u have not seen a foreign player play, don't assume that they'll be great. If u have seen him play, then I apologize.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts