Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you all rate this year's top power forwards? Here is my list, based on a balance of potential, current ability, size, strength, intangibles, et cetera:

1) Nene Hilario
2) Chris Wilcox
3) Amare Stoudemire

-- the top three, I think, will become superstars--

4) Nickoloz Tskitishvili
5) Drew Gooden
6) Marcus Haislip
7) Melvin Ely
8) Carlos Boozer
9) Luis Scola
10) Sam Clancy

I really hope that Haislip turns out to be a player, because I like his gym-rat mentality... he's acting like a football player! (Coming from a good one, that's a good thing.) Except if he benches 400, and only squats 600... that's a horrible squat... but still, I'm sure, the best in the NBA. For a 400 bench, c'mon, Marcus, get 700! Tskeet, I think, may not have the bulk to play in the post for his first couple years, and he's raw. Not as raw as Mari, but raw, nonetheless. But if he can develop the solid fundamentals and post moves he learned in Europe, added to his skill, he could be a wonderful addition to some team down the line. Gooden is a guy I really don't like. He's quick, but not quick enough, and big, but not big enough. He's a real tweener. Can't play SF, but will get pushed around at PF, unless he does some heavy weight-gaining. His ability to take people off the dribble will be lessened in the NBA. Nene, from what tape I've seen, could become a poor man's Akeem the Dream. And, anybody half as good as Hakeem in his prime is an All Star! Melvin Ely would be higher, but he's already, what, 24? Wilcox just has SO much potential, and could still end up being a seven footer. So Nene and Wilcox are my two favorites in this draft. Amare will have to develop actual basketball skills, and he could join those top two.

How do you view this PF class?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sicky Dimpkins... what makes you think that anyone said that Nene was European? I didn't see it...

Anyway, have you seen him much? It's actually not a horrible comparison. He is very fluid, like the Dream. That's the biggest thing. Also, he has this sweet little fallaway move, like Hakeem.

And, Drew Gooden does need weight. Wilcox is actually up to 240. But there are other factors... for example, you never know who has a little extra fat. People can actually have big bones that add up to 20-25 pounds to their body. Stuff like that. Heck, just LOOK at them side by side. Look at some tape of the Kansas-Maryland FF game. Wilcox makes Gooden look like a weak girl. Amare could add 30-40 more pounds without changing his game, too.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I'm not saying that Hilario is AS GOOD AS Hakeem! No way! I'm just saying that their playing styles are similar!

Yeah, I think that Wilcox could eventually project as a center in the East, because he may still be growing.

Thanks for clarifying...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.