Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
story in yesterday's Star Ledger. Ratner needs a partner to come up with $60 million, as delays mount in Brooklyn. There was no more important story on the Nets this week. If Ratner cannot come up with a new partner, there will have to be a fire sale. With losses of $20 to $30 annually, reports the Ledger, the team is hemorrhaging money...in spite of the increased attendance. Either that or the Kansas City Nets.

You cannot underestimate the importance of this story.

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
I can't control that, so I've decided to live in denial until it resolves itself.

·
Burned
18,770 Posts
Grandmazter3 said:
This just ruined my day.
What did?

(See how it works?)

·
Banned
57,945 Posts
Well that sucks.

-Petey

·
Banned
57,945 Posts
Just realized, if the Nets were to move to Kansas City, the Hornets would move back East... and the Nets would be stuck in a Division with the Spurs, Rockets, Mavs and Grizzles?

Yeah...

Well that sucks.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Kansas City Nets is a stretch. That would mean Ratner has abandoned the Brooklyn arena and the team will be up for sale. With a brand new arena being built in Newark the Nets could actually stay in NJ if the right buyers come along. Due to the leagues wishes for stability and a brand new arena in the area I would think the odds are strong the Nets could stay.

Maybe Devils majority owner Jeff Vanderbeek will step up. On a side note, my older brother went to high school with the guy. Vanderbeek becomes one of the highest paid executives in the country and buys a major pro sports team. My brother is a mailman. Just goes to show that student success is not always a reflection of the school. Study kids! :biggrin:

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imagine the difficulties of getting approval for a project that essentially combines the office space of the original Rockefeller Center [including a 70-story centerpiece building] Madison Square Garden and 7,000 residential units. Thats what this is about. It aint gonna be easy. Delaying it adds to the carrying costs of the properties he has bought, including the Nets, and hurts him with his lenders and his biggest backers, his corporate parent, Forest City Enterprises which is responsible for 38% of the Nets losses and a large share of teh carrying costs.

·
Banned
57,945 Posts
cpawfan said:
It is important only if you care about where the team is located and I don't.
Well if Ratner can't find a partner, a move doesn't happen overnight, there is a good chance of a fire sale again.

-Petey

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Netted- said:
Kansas City Nets is a stretch. That would mean Ratner has abandoned the Brooklyn arena and the team will be up for sale. With a brand new arena being built in Newark the Nets could actually stay in NJ if the right buyers come along. Due to the leagues wishes for stability and a brand new arena in the area I would think the odds are strong the Nets could stay.

Maybe Devils majority owner Jeff Vanderbeek will step up. On a side note, my older brother went to high school with the guy. Vanderbeek becomes one of the highest paid executives in the country and buys a major pro sports team. My brother is a mailman. Just goes to show that student success is not always a reflection of the school. Study kids! :biggrin:
1. The Nets would have to find a New Jersey owner willing to buy the team for $300+ million. Based on the team's inability to make any money in any recent year, who is that sucker going to be? I can see NO ONE willing to put up that kind of money knowing the financial history of the team. And even if they did, would he be willing to spend more money to keep the team a contender?

2. Why do you think Newark is going to be a better environment than the Meadowlands? That is an open question and one I think is very unlikely to be answered in the affirmative.

3. Stern has said "New Jersey blew it".

·
Banned
57,945 Posts
... And would the Nets resign Krstic?

-Petey

·
Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
Petey said:
Well if Ratner can't find a partner, a move doesn't happen overnight, there is a good chance of a fire sale again.

-Petey
Easy come, easy go. A fire sale just means more time for young players to play.

Kidd to Utah for Deron Williams
Vince to the Hornets for JR Smith
RJ to Atlanta for Josh Smith

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.