Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0503/17/pist-120297.htm

A UConn thing

Ray Allen and Richard Hamilton, two of the most celebrated Connecticut alumni, have a difference of opinion over which former UConn player should be rookie of the year this season.

The race is boiling down to Chicago's Ben Gordon and Charlotte's Emeka Okafor, who teamed to lead Connecticut to an NCAA championship last season.

Allen is picking Okafor, and Hamilton is picking Gordon.

"It's safe to say it's going to stay in the Big East," Allen told reporters Tuesday in Chicago. "But I would have to go with Emeka, because of the sheer numbers of him averaging double-doubles all season."

Said Hamilton: "I'm rolling with Ben. He's not getting as much time. He didn't come in right away starting, and he's getting everything he's getting off the bench.
meh.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I've always hated Ray Allen. Seriously, he's one of the most evil guys in the NBA. That's just pure disrespect right there. God I hope he gets traded.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
ShamBulls said:
I've always hated Ray Allen. Seriously, he's one of the most evil guys in the NBA. That's just pure disrespect right there. God I hope he gets traded.
I see no disrespect in what he said. What he said is true and he okafur surely has a case for rookie of the year.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
The Seattle SuperSonics’ come-from-ahead 102-95 loss to the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday night should have been merely a disappointing defeat.

Instead, it unleashed a torrent of mounting frustration and second-guessing, filling an already crowded locker room at The Palace of Auburn Hills with the first sign of infighting in a season that has been built around so much good chemistry.

On one hand, this might be the natural outcome of a long, 82-game season.

On the other, it makes one wonder where the Sonics are headed as they close out the final, inevitable stages of their Northwest Division title run and close in on the playoffs for the first time in three seasons.

This uncertainty could have been avoided had the Sonics capitalized on a three-point lead with less than three minutes to play.

But the Sonics (43-20) made a series of gaffes and goofs that not only snapped their two-game win streak but served as a catalyst for criticism throughout the locker room.

Coach Nate McMillan criticized the offense for being too selfish.

“Sometimes you can think a guy had a good game because he shot a high percentage, but you need rhythm,” McMillan said. “You build rhythm by playing together out on the floor.”

Asked why there was no rhythm, McMillan said: “You got to move the ball. You got to know who should be taking the shots, when and where that shot should be taken and get those guys the ball. I thought we were playing one-on-one a little bit.”

And he could have been talking about Allen, who played just 28 minutes. Allen has been in a funk since being defended well by Chicago’s Kirk Hinrich on Friday. He turned that game into a one-on-one affair, and did the same against Hamilton, a fellow Connecticut alum, at times Wednesday. Allen took just 11 shots, making six, but his game was not as fluid and team-oriented as it usually is.

Allen, normally verbose after games, was short Wednesday.

Asked why he was not getting many shots, Allen said, “I’m not getting any looks.”

Why?

“I don’t know,” he said. “You got to talk to the coach.”

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sonics/story/4687669p-4338031c.html

he is STILL WHINING!!!!!! :laugh:

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Makes sense to me.

Allen has nevered played with a big man of Okafor's talents. Maybe he just appreciates him more than Guards, as he has played with several pretty good guards in his day.

While Hamilton is surrounded by the likes of Wallace(s), McDyess, and find more meaning full contributions from a similar type player as him.

-Petey

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
qwerty said:
I see no disrespect in what he said. What he said is true and he okafur surely has a case for rookie of the year.

I bet you were a Jamal fan. They were evil too. You're all evil.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Sham: your apparent man-crush on Ray Allen notwithstanding, you really need to post more. You are missed.

·
Charge!
3,922 Posts
Wow, sure is a lot of Ray Allen hating going on over here. Ray points out that Okafor is putting up double doubles. Then some of you take this as a snub to Ben Gordon and say it is because Ray is ticked off at the Bulls. Whatever...

And Ray is evil? I don't suppose that you have heard of the Ray of Hope Foundation, or that he won the Joe Dumars Sportsmanship Award in 2003. Check it out here:

http://www.nba.com/sonics/roster/ray_allen.html

You may not like him, but that does not make him evil. Hate him if you must, but at least base your feelings on reality.

G-Force

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
G-Force said:
And Ray is evil? I don't suppose that you have heard of the Ray of Hope Foundation, or that he won the Joe Dumars Sportsmanship Award in 2003. Check it out here:

http://www.nba.com/sonics/roster/ray_allen.html

You may not like him, but that does not make him evil. Hate him if you must, but at least base your feelings on reality.
One of the most hated players on this board is Jalen Rose.... who is one of the most giving men in the league.

Go figure.

·
Charge!
3,922 Posts
In watching Ray the past couple of seasons, I have not observed a Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde transformation on and off the court. A player does not win the Joe Dumars Sportsmanship Award by being a jerk on the court, either.

The last couple of Bulls/Sonics games got a little contentious, and moreso here on the boards than on the basketball court. It sure does get hot over here sometimes.
:curse:

I do my share of vocalizing at games and when I watch games on TV. You should hear me yell at the refs or cheer for good plays. However, I try to watch my words when posting here at bbb.net.

G-Force

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts
Okafor
Marshall
Allen
Hamilton
Gordon

You've got Jake Voshkul as a big man back up and Caron Butler as a wing back up

That's a pretty decent starting 5

Kansas

LaFrentz
Collison
Gooden
Pierce
Hinrich

And you've still got Ostertag and Pollard as big man back ups

No one else I can think of from Kansas

And Duke :

Brand
Boozer
Hill
Maggette
Duhon

And Deng, Battier , Dunleavy and Jones as wing back ups

Hmmmm.

Then you've got Kentucky with Walker ,Delk Mercer , McCarty , Mashburn and Prince and co

I don't know I kind of like The Huskies line up the best followed by the Jayhawks

By the way Ben leads the league in double digit figures in the 4th as a rookie

That's difference makin folks and is worthy of a 6th man award or ROY

The politics of it all will push ROY to Emeka - start up franchise - something to hang their hat on etc

And the double whammy of the buddy boy feel good story will be to make his Husky mate the first rook to win 6th man

Its a nice marketing story with plenty of schmaltz mileage for the NBA

Jim Calhoun must be rubbing his hands in the increased cred ( like he needed it ) that this brings to Connecticut Hoops

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Abe, after last night's game, how could you forget Jacques Vaughn from Kansas? I'd probably put him at PG and move Kirk, PP and Gooden to the 2,3,4.

Kentucky:

PG- Delk, Derek Anderson
SG- Bogans, Mercer
SF- Prince, Mashburn
PF- Waltah, Scott Padgett, Michael Bradley
C- Magloire, Mohammed, Mark Pope

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
UNC

haywood
sheed
jamison
v. carter
mcinnis

6th man jerry stackhouse

·
Registered
289 Posts
I really like the UNC one too. Of course, high school beats all.

Anyways,

Gordon > Vaughn
Hamilton > Hinrich
Ray > Pierce
Marshall > Gooden
Okafor > Lafrentz

hmm

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
and perhaps just perhaps Emeka Okafor is a better player than Ben Gordon

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I always thought that Rip Hamilton was a smart guy ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts