Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's start a discussion of re-signing Miles and send it to management so they don't tighten the purse strings too tightly and let Miles walk. This kid has a bright future.

Yes, I recognize that it's early to talk about this kid being a star. But he fits the way this team plays, like The Kid fit in Indiana. I say let's keep him around and watch him develop.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
He's more than just potential, he just makes everyone around him better. He's a great passer and he's athletic, he's still only 22 years old and he could develope some more skills. He needs to work on his shooting but the main thing is that he makes everyone around him better. Zach and Rasheed most notably. We have played much better since acquiring him. I say resign him for the MLE to 6 mil a season.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would Re-sign Miles............ he has a bright future and he fits the team well..............

·
Registered
540 Posts
I say re-sign D.Money because I don't want to buy his jersey and find out that hes been traded the next day.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I have to admit I'm getting more excited by Miles every game. sometimes a guy just fits better on a different team.

82games.com says Miles had a -6 +/- ratio in Cleveland, yet is +12.6 here.

Person was an appalling -12 on the +/- ratio in Memphis, yet is now a decent contributor, although still a -1.6.

Bonzi was a -2.3 in Portland, and is a-----DOH! I just looked it up and he's a -1.8 over there.

well, anyway, sometimes CERTAIN PLAYERS just seem to find the right fit.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
let's remember that he's never played around talented people until portland. Do you know what kind of motivation that must be?

·
Basketballboards.net HOF
795 Posts
I feel that D Miles has given the Blazers that much needed spark to get over the hump and start winning games on a consistant basis.

I'm sure that John Nash is paying close attention to D Miles' every game.

If I was Darius I'd be working real hard to get resigned, and it appears that he's doing just that so far.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tblazrdude</b>!
let's remember that he's never played around talented people until portland. Do you know what kind of motivation that must be?
I think you mean he's never played around talented veterans before, because in LA, Miles played alongside Corey Maggette, Quentin Richardson and Andre Miller, all very talented players. In Cleveland, Miles played with one of the most talented players in the game today, in Lebron James.

But Miles has never had talented veteran players who know how to win games in the NBA on his side before. Now that he's playing with guys like Rasheed Wallace, Dale Davis, and Derek Anderson, especially, he could certainly grow and take advantage of his situation.

I don't know how the dollars would work out, but I think it'd be reasonable to re-sign Miles at around $5 mil, so that he won't walk for the MLE.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Public Defender</b>!

I think you mean he's never played around talented veterans before, because in LA, Miles played alongside Corey Maggette, Quentin Richardson and Andre Miller, all very talented players. In Cleveland, Miles played with one of the most talented players in the game today, in Lebron James.

But Miles has never had talented veteran players who know how to win games in the NBA on his side before. Now that he's playing with guys like Rasheed Wallace, Dale Davis, and Derek Anderson, especially, he could certainly grow and take advantage of his situation.

I don't know how the dollars would work out, but I think it'd be reasonable to re-sign Miles at around $5 mil, so that he won't walk for the MLE.
eh, i don't buy your argument. i think you mean, as hubie so eloquently puts it, "upside."

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
eh, i don't buy your argument. i think you mean, as hubie so eloquently puts it, "upside."
Talent and upside are virtually the same thing. They both refer to one's natural, or developing ability to do something. Someone can be gifted at basketball (i.e. talented, or possessing tremendous "upside") yet not ever become that good. Often, I hear people lament, "well I was told I had lots of musical talent, but I could never really get into practicing..." Talent is one element of what makes someone good... work ethic, health, good luck, experience, attitude, are all other parts. And in the case of the Blazers, there's some experience that's helped talented players like Sheed and DA become more than just "talented."

I think it's hard to argue that Lebron James is not one of the most talented players in the NBA. There's still a great deal he doesn't know, and there are skills he has yet to develop to their full potential, but in terms of his capacity to be great (talent i.e. upside), and the amazing stuff he's already doing at his age, there are few his equal in terms of pure talent.

I would say the same of Corey Maggette, although I would also point out that he dumped more than 30 points on the Blazers the last time the two teams played. It's gotten to the point where we don't even need to talk about that guy's upside or talent, and instead we can just say that he's a very good ball player.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I'm liking Miles a lot, but he ALWAYS makes a good first impression (he's basically 3 for 3 so far). His game is limited and over time that tends to show up.

Of course, he IS still young, and if he can stay healthy maybe he'll actually improve his game, rather than being the same player he was as a rookie.

In any event, re-signing him still depends on how much we can re-sign him for. If it's the MLE or lower, I'd probably be in favor of it. More than that, probably not. Unless he is this good the rest of the year (which would be more effective than he's ever been in his career over a similar stretch) and/or additional trades are made on the team which shows they could afford to keep Miles without messing up their costs down the line...

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts

Talent and upside are virtually the same thing. They both refer to one's natural, or developing ability to do something. Someone can be gifted at basketball (i.e. talented, or possessing tremendous "upside") yet not ever become that good. Often, I hear people lament, "well I was told I had lots of musical talent, but I could never really get into practicing..." Talent is one element of what makes someone good... work ethic, health, good luck, experience, attitude, are all other parts. And in the case of the Blazers, there's some experience that's helped talented players like Sheed and DA become more than just "talented."

I think it's hard to argue that Lebron James is not one of the most talented players in the NBA. There's still a great deal he doesn't know, and there are skills he has yet to develop to their full potential, but in terms of his capacity to be great (talent i.e. upside), and the amazing stuff he's already doing at his age, there are few his equal in terms of pure talent.

I would say the same of Corey Maggette, although I would also point out that he dumped more than 30 points on the Blazers the last time the two teams played. It's gotten to the point where we don't even need to talk about that guy's upside or talent, and instead we can just say that he's a very good ball player.
talent is a quantifiable element, which is why you would tell someone they are a 'talented musician,' a mixture of skill and time proven skill.

upside is an assumption of one's future success. or an 'unproven' talent. The Clippers, with that unsucessful core, were a group with a lot of upside.

i think in the basketball world, the term talent is thrown around rather freely and without care, although i do agree with you that Portland is also the best veteren unit Miles has played with.

·
Registered
837 Posts

PB- He never played with Miller-HE was traded for him. Also James is talented and played 30 games with D miles. He is still a rookie and DOESN'T make his players better around him. On the Clippers he was a 19 year old kid who was learning the game so cut him some slack. His teammates like L.O. and C. M were also young and yes talented but not great yet.

It is way to early to judge his performance, weak competition, (GS,WAS, GRIZZ,ATL, Doesn't scare a lot of teams in the NBA) and the new start sure pump him up for now. That said I am sure they are watching him and in case he keeps it up he will be a blazer in years to come. Just like most of you I also enjoy his energy and enthusiasm.

Keep it up Darius, This board will love you. :D

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
talent is a quantifiable element, which is why you would tell someone they are a 'talented musician,' a mixture of skill and time proven skill.

upside is an assumption of one's future success. or an 'unproven' talent. The Clippers, with that unsucessful core, were a group with a lot of upside.
Consider this analogy: a young player with a bright future is a cup, half-filled with water. The full half is talent. It's what he's already got that can be used. The empty half is the upside - what still could be, but only if he keeps developing the talent he's got. In terms of the Clippers, there were lots of half-full glasses; players that were already good and talented, but still had a lot to learn and develop. What they needed, and what Lebron needs, are some experienced players to help them.

i think in the basketball world, the term talent is thrown around rather freely and without care, although i do agree with you that Portland is also the best veteren unit Miles has played with.
The Blazers are the best team Miles has played for. The Cavaliers don't have the depth (not that the Blazers are all that deep either), nor do the Clippers have the experience (and this, a less experienced Blazer team than we've had for some time).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RW#30</b>!
PB- He never played with Miller-HE was traded for him. Also James is talented and played 30 games with D miles. He is still a rookie and DOESN'T make his players better around him. On the Clippers he was a 19 year old kid who was learning the game so cut him some slack. His teammates like L.O. and C. M were also young and yes talented but not great yet.
You're right, he never played with Miller... good catch. Lamar Odom's another very talented player that did play with Miles - probably should've thrown his name out there instead.

BTW - I didn't mean to impugn Lebron James - the kid's a major talent!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My man is CLOWNING dudes right now. Iv'e always been a fan of the kid, and he's fitting in well....

PLEASE re-sign D-Miles!!!

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Dale Davis has played like bleep this year IMO. Whether it's his health (torn groin lingering?), age, or whatever, he's been subpar for an NBA starter. Darius taking his spot (and finally getting a skilled 2 guard back in the lineup), has improved Portlands athletism, and chemistry, without giving up much in the size department. In fact while they've lose a little beef in the frontcourt starting DM over DD, DA is obviously a bigger 2 then McInnis was, so they really are at least as big as they were with gains in athletism, ball movement, and chemistry.

I guess my point is it's not just what Darius has brought, it's what he's replacing too. I'm not surprised in the least that things are clicking. Hopefully Dale can get himself righted because they still have 25+ minutes in the big man rotation for him to claim.

STOMP

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>STOMP</b>!
Dale Davis has played like bleep this year IMO. Whether it's his health (torn groin lingering?), age, or whatever, he's been subpar for an NBA starter.

STOMP
Couldn't be more true. He had a stretch of 3 games a couple weeks back where he played real well. Other than that, he has been aweful. I don't know if he's injured, but it looks to me that his complaining about his role is what is hurting his game. Hopefully he can deal with it soon because we are going to need him to play well for us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts