Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to give up on Telfair. I'm not saying he won't end up having success - hell, even Darko Milicic is putting up semi-decent numbers - but it won't be here. We've committed to McMillan, and Telfair doesn't fit. I won't be too sorry to see him go, either, as at best he's (sound of dead horse being flogged) Kenny Anderson II.

But whom should we have drafted on that fateful day? We were going to draft Al Jefferson, but even though I think he'd've been a better choice, he's injured, so we can't tell how good he's going to be. Let's recap some of the good players after Telfair:

13. Portland Sebastian Telfair

15. Boston Al Jefferson

17. Atlanta Josh Smith
18. New Orleans J.R. Smith

These guys made a splash last year, but have shown that some of the reasons they dropped were good ones. They're very immature - the Hornets even tried to trade J.R. Smith for Brent Barry, Byron Scott's so sick of Smith. (They missed the deadline by minutes and it fell through.)

20. Denver Jameer Nelson

Right now he's looking better than I thought.

22. New Jersey Viktor Khryapa

Great pick! Kudos to Nash.

23. Portland Sergei Monia

Will he ever get it together? His first ever NBA game is looking like his high point.

24. Boston Delonte West

A GREAT pick, playing sensationally for the Celtics.

25. Boston Tony Alen

Had his share of troubles, but will stick around. Good game yesterday.

26. Sacramento Kevin Martin

Another great pick. If we'd had him instead of Monia, we'd be in much better shape.

28. San Antonio Beno Udrih

Seems to have fallen out of favour, but looked like a steal last year. Their Steve Blake?

29. Indiana David Harrison

Playing well for them. Creepy pale eyes, though.

30. Orlando Anderson Varejao

An energy guy - always nice to have.
38. Chicago Chris Duhon

Been injured a bit this year, but still a huge steal. They seem much worse with him playing less.

46. Portland Ha Seung Hin

Still worth the gamble.

47. Miami Pape Sow

The terror of the D-League!

I guess Telfair wasn't too terrible a pick, but only because there's no real stars in the players after him. But David Harrison and Kevin Martin would've been better than Monia and Telfair.

Cue a scolding from Hap - AKA "SMiLE" - about how young Telfair is and how stupid it is to make these comparisons now...

·
Registered
526 Posts
meru said:
I'm ready to give up on Telfair. I'm not saying he won't end up having success - hell, even Darko Milicic is putting up semi-decent numbers - but it won't be here. We've committed to McMillan, and Telfair doesn't fit. I won't be too sorry to see him go, either, as at best he's (sound of dead horse being flogged) Kenny Anderson II.

But whom should we have drafted on that fateful day? We were going to draft Al Jefferson, but even though I think he'd've been a better choice, he's injured, so we can't tell how good he's going to be. Let's recap some of the good players after Telfair:

15. Boston Al Jefferson

17. Atlanta Josh Smith

These guys made a splash last year, but have shown that some of the reasons they dropped were good ones. They're very immature - the Hornets even tried to trade J.R. Smith for Brent Barry, Byron Scott's so sick of Smith. (They missed the deadline by minutes and it fell through.)

20. Denver Jameer Nelson

Will he ever get it together? His first ever NBA game is looking like his high point.

24. Boston Delonte West

25. Boston Tony Alen

Another great pick. If we'd had him instead of Monia, we'd be in much better shape.

Seems to have fallen out of favour, but looked like a steal last year. Their Steve Blake?

38. Chicago Chris Duhon

Been injured a bit this year, but still a huge steal. They seem much worse with him playing less.

Still worth the gamble.

47. Miami Pape Sow

I guess Telfair wasn't too terrible a pick, but only because there's no real stars in the players after him. But David Harrison and Kevin Martin would've been better than Monia and Telfair.

Cue a scolding from Hap - AKA "SMiLE" - about how young Telfair is and how stupid it is to make these comparisons now...
David Harrison? Kevin Martin? You've got to be kidding me. I'd rather have Telfair.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
I'd rather have Martin than Monya or maybe Viktor, but Telfair will be better at somepoint.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Hype #9 said:
David Harrison? Kevin Martin? You've got to be kidding me. I'd rather have Telfair.
As a starter, Kevin Martin is averaging 14 pts, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal while shooting 51% from the floor. You've got to be kidding ME.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
meru said:

15. Boston Al Jefferson

17. Atlanta Josh Smith

20. Denver Jameer Nelson

24. Boston Delonte West

25. Boston Tony Alen

38. Chicago Chris Duhon

Still worth the gamble.

47. Miami Pape Sow

Well I am sure he will respond now after you basically called him out for doing so in the past.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
I don't remember, are you or are you not the one who complains about Jermaine being traded?

I continually remind myself to thank god that none of fans with the attention spans of gnats, have anything to do with how the team is run.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
These threads are hilarious! WHAT IF we would have drafted so and so.... what if so and so would have passed the ball to so and so instead of so and so... what if the refs wouldnt have screwed up the Super Bowl... what if it doesnt matter, we did what we did, and now we have to live with the good and bad of it all, regardless of what the question is.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
SMiLE said:
I don't remember, are you or are you not the one who complains about Jermaine being traded?

I continually remind myself to thank god that none of fans with the attention spans of gnats, have anything to do with how the team is run.
Not an unexpected response from you, but I think you're missing his point.

A) Jermaine isn't germaine to this situation. That was trading a young guy for an old guy. This is speculating about what other young guy we could have instead of the young guy we DO have.

B) Meru clearly states he's saying that Telfair may turn out to be a stud, but he's not a 'Nate McMillan' kind of guy. I agree with him to a certain extent, that Jarrett Jack is more in line with what Nate would like to see at the PG position, although I think Telfair has made some strides toward becoming more of a Nate McMillan kind of guy.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Josh Smith has been coming on lately... don't know if he'll ever be a superstar but he can get to the rim and he can wipe them off of the rim as well.

Something to remember about him - that was Detroit's pick that Atlanta acquired for Rasheed Wallace.

Remember Rasheed, he's that guy we traded for the rights to overpay Theo Ratliff.

Hindsight is a *****, but we could have had Jefferson, Smith, Khryapa, and West in that draft and then picked up Chris Paul last year...

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
These threads are hilarious! WHAT IF we would have drafted so and so.... what if so and so would have passed the ball to so and so instead of so and so... what if the refs wouldnt have screwed up the Super Bowl... what if it doesnt matter, we did what we did, and now we have to live with the good and bad of it all, regardless of what the question is.
So, we shouldn't post about anything that already happened? I guess that would leave more room for threads about who we should draft...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Fork said:

A) Jermaine isn't germaine to this situation. That was trading a young guy for an old guy. This is speculating about what other young guy we could have instead of the young guy we DO have.

B) Meru clearly states he's saying that Telfair may turn out to be a stud, but he's not a 'Nate McMillan' kind of guy. I agree with him to a certain extent, that Jarrett Jack is more in line with what Nate would like to see at the PG position, although I think Telfair has made some strides toward becoming more of a Nate McMillan kind of guy.

Maybe Nate should become more of a Telfair kind of guy. At .500 his record is worthy of being so stubborn

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Fork said:
So, we shouldn't post about anything that already happened? I guess that would leave more room for threads about who we should draft...
No, I just think unfair to second guess decisions made by GM's etc , based on what we know now. They dont have a crystal ball.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Fork said:
As a starter, Kevin Martin is averaging 14 pts, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal while shooting 51% from the floor. You've got to be kidding ME.
Agreed...I would trade Telfair + Detroits pick for Martin this instant.

Mainly because I feel Telfair hasn't proven he is any better then Blake or Jack nor has he proven he has any more potential then either of those guys IMO.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
Fork said:

lots of fans gave up on jermaine bcause he didn't perform up to unrealistic expectations that fans had for him.
Telfair might not be a "nate kind of PG" (whatever that means) but he's improved his game since he came into the league, and has improved it this year as you said. Maybe Nate didn't want Telfair (or blake or jack) to be such a shoot first PG because they're not good enough for it.

But it's not like this is after 3 years of college and a couple years in the league. Telfair is still moldable, and maybe playing a little more under control wouldn't be a bad thing for Telfair.

To get rid of him because after 60 games under Nate, IS stupid. He can, he has, and he will be able to, change. He'll be able to adjust to the system, and still flourish.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
sa1177 said:
Agreed...I would trade Telfair + Detroits pick for Martin this instant.

Mainly because I feel Telfair hasn't proven he is any better then Blake or Jack nor has he proven he has any more potential then either of those guys IMO.
wow...so at 20 years old already shooting almost as good from deep as Blake has (several years older) and better than Jack (despite being younger and not a "good shooter") isn't any better?

Conversely, one could say that the fact that blake is several years older (and more experienced) and not better than Jack or Telfair (and hasn't show ANYTHING in his whole career that he's going to get significantly better), they shuold get rid of him.

Sometimes I think people aren't watching games, but just want to repeat stuff about players that they hear other people say, because it's just easier. How anyone can honestly say that Telfair hasn't show he has more potential than at bare min, Blake, is beyond logic.

Ooh, I know, I'm just a "telfair lover" blah blah blah other 8th grade arguing logic.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wow, I guess I'm just not sure what people expect out of a guy two years removed from High School...

Did you expect Bryant, Garnett, or Lebron??

I mean honestly, If you did, then I understand. But then that would be your fault and not the organizations fault.

How about giving the guy a chance to reach legal drinking age before we give up on him?

As far as I'm concerned the flashes he shows allows him at least that much...

For the love of god, how about we give Nate a chance to mold these young guys in the name of continuity, before we begin calling them dissapointments.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
BEER&BASKETBALL said:
No, I just think unfair to second guess decisions made by GM's etc , based on what we know now. They dont have a crystal ball.
How do you tell whether a GM has done a good job?

I'm asking that in all honesty. Without the benefit of hindsight, how can we tell if Nash, or Walker, or whomever is doing a good job?

Ed O.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
Blazer Ringbearer said:
Josh Smith has been coming on lately... don't know if he'll ever be a superstar but he can get to the rim and he can wipe them off of the rim as well.

Something to remember about him - that was Detroit's pick that Atlanta acquired for Rasheed Wallace.

Remember Rasheed, he's that guy we traded for the rights to overpay Theo Ratliff.

Hindsight is a *****, but we could have had Jefferson, Smith, Khryapa, and West in that draft and then picked up Chris Paul last year...
hindsight is 20-20, but so is your predicting of who they could've had. If they got those guys (as the implication is they'd be better) wouldn't that have made the team better and therefore, *not* gotten the 3rd pick in the draft?

I mean, if those guys are so much better, the team should've been better, right? otherwise, whats the point of complaining about not getting them?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
SMiLE said:
wow...so at 20 years old already shooting almost as good from deep as Blake has (several years older) and better than Jack (despite being younger and not a "good shooter") isn't any better?

Conversely, one could say that the fact that blake is several years older (and more experienced) and not better than Jack or Telfair (and hasn't show ANYTHING in his whole career that he's going to get significantly better), they shuold get rid of him.

Sometimes I think people aren't watching games, but just want to repeat stuff about players that they hear other people say, because it's just easier. How anyone can honestly say that Telfair hasn't show he has more potential than at bare min, Blake, is beyond logic.

Ooh, I know, I'm just a "telfair lover" blah blah blah other 8th grade arguing logic.
First and foremost I would assume you know me better then to make the accusation that I "repeat stuff" that I hear other posters say. You should know by now I could give a **** about what anyone else here says in terms of formulating my own oppinion.

Also note I said it was my oppinion that Telfair has not showed anymore potential then Blake or Jack. I you would like to provide evidence that supports something different I'd like to see it. All three have had big games etc which points to future potential but none more then the others. Your point about Blake's age is legit but who is to say he can't have sucess at a older age? It's surely happened before.

Last...I have never made the "Hap is a Telfair lover" claim against you in a negative manner so no need to throw that piece in there. Although I am still convinced you are a facist, Nazi-**** who is trying to take over the board. :rofl:

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Ed O said:
How do you tell whether a GM has done a good job?

I'm asking that in all honesty. Without the benefit of hindsight, how can we tell if Nash, or Walker, or whomever is doing a good job?

Ed O.
Marked improvement from year to year? It's a good question for sure.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.