Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was during a charity event..
Now on to the important part: The halftime slam dunk competition featuring James "Flight" White. Now, ive been a Vince Carter fan from day one and stuck with him all of last year when everybody was down on him...i also thought he was the greatest dunker of all time. James White proved me wrong. During his warm up dunks he threw down some sick windmills and a couple off the backboard dunks but this was nothing compared to what would come. He then proceeded with his four official dunks...first was from well before the free throw line with one hand...his second was from well well before the free throw line wiith two hands (vince's two hander was from well within the free throw line)...then came his free throw line windmill dunk which got the crowd into a frenzy...and then came the dunk (which atleast in my opinion earns him the greates dunker ever title) He took off from about a foot behind the free throw line put the ball between his legs(!!!!) then finished it off with two hands...after that the court was mobbed by just about everyone in the crowd

hopefully hell step it up this year.. talent wise hes a top 4 pick once he develops

·
Registered
119 Posts
wow, windmill and between the legs from free throw line is quite impressive. similar to grizz, i expect a great season out of white.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i posted somethin bout this in the raptors forum

two thing vince has that flight lacks,

POWER, and VINCE'S HANDS....they are very big and therefore he can do whatever he wants with the ball

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah dawg

i was lookin online but couldnt find anything
your right about flight hes skinny and has no handles
he has a lot of room for improvement

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Man James is from my town the DC area so cut him some slack ,but Grizz are you for real now I've seen in person him do the other dunks youy've mentioned but

1. Was he REALLY BEHIND THE FREE THROW LINE
2. Did he actually finish with two hands and did he barely get his hand on the rim or did he throw it down.

I've known this kid for a while he's the best athlete I've ever seen , He was a track star before he started getting serious about ball, He can out float anyone it's amazing slightly better hops possibly than VINCE who's a freak, once he gets more confidence in his game watch out.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i read it on slamonline.com/links
sorry for hating on your boy
but last year against bama he missed a free throw to tie then he got beat back door to lose the game.. but he def. can dunk with the best of them

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
talent wise hes a top 4 pick once he develops
Talentwise he's NOT a top 4 pick. Potentialwise, maybe, but no way is he a top 4 pick based on talent. Dunking like that is not the same as being talented, it means he's got potential. I'll take Vince over White any day.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No sh..

I didnt say i would take him over vince.. i think this kid is one of the most over rated guys in all of basketball.. to me hes not even a lottery pick or at least not til his senior year
but if he did do that dunk thats pretty impressive.. although i did see a long jumper from unc dunk from like a foot inside the three point line ( i guess nbadraft.net would put him right behind lebron and say he has mad potential)

·
Registered
341 Posts
The free throw line thru the legs is on the internet somewhere.

·
Registered
89 Posts
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pA4L-_Wic78"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pA4L-_Wic78" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
In the NBA dunk contest you can miss as much as you want. There's no way he's losing.

Interesting tidbit: He lost his High School AND NCAA dunk contests. But he was hindered by a missed dunk in one and shoddy judging in another. I think it'll take a lightning strike to keep him from winning the NBA crown.

·
Registered
504 Posts
While those videos are great, I still havent see a dunk that is "from a foot behind the freethrow line".

But Freethrowline is obviously very impressive.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I've been his biggest fan since 2001. But at the moment James White is purely getting by with his athletism. He is developing skills such a ball handling which is still slightly shaky and a outside shot which is also rather inconsistent.

His overall play has improved but still has a long way to go.

For someone of his athletism you would expect to go around dunking on people in games like VC but James White wont. He rarely does that. All his highlights are from dunk contests, no in game dunks if you notice.

James lacks strength and has showed the inability to gan weight since his freshman year. He does not even drive to the hoop much, much less go dunking on helpless 7 footers.

However, James has improved his game season after season and you may say he still has some considerable "upside" left in him and hopefully he will finally win a dunk contest (not counting his pre-Mcdonald dunk contest days) and turn out to be a top 6th man.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
crazyfan said:
I've been his biggest fan since 2001. But at the moment James White is purely getting by with his athletism. He is developing skills such a ball handling which is still slightly shaky and a outside shot which is also rather inconsistent.

His overall play has improved but still has a long way to go.

For someone of his athletism you would expect to go around dunking on people in games like VC but James White wont. He rarely does that. All his highlights are from dunk contests, no in game dunks if you notice.

James lacks strength and has showed the inability to gan weight since his freshman year. He does not even drive to the hoop much, much less go dunking on helpless 7 footers.

However, James has improved his game season after season and you may say he still has some considerable "upside" left in him and hopefully he will finally win a dunk contest (not counting his pre-Mcdonald dunk contest days) and turn out to be a top 6th man.
A large part of what you are saying was dictated by the teams he was on. Due to lack of PG's on the Bearcats rosters, James had to play a lot of PG and often drew the most important SF-SG-PG defensive assisignment.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts