Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seattle trades: Rashard Lewis (sign-and-trade 7 years - $70 mil) and Brent Barry or Vitaly Potapenko
Seattle gets: Eddie Robinson, Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer

I saw this on Realgm.com

If Rashard doesn't want Seattle, he could demand a trade to the Bulls, or threaten to sign with Dallas or Houston. Seattle gets some good young talent in return for Rashard, instead of just losing him. This would also let Seattle get something for Payton if they wanted to trade him, instead of just losing him next year.

The Sonics would get a young point guard who can split time with Kenny Anderson if Gary Payton is traded, or who could play 2g. They get a low post scorer in Fizer, who can chip in 12-15ppg. I really compare Fizer to Rodney Rogers. Rogers put up similar stats when he was young, and I believe Fizer will continue to put up solid numbers and be a great 6th man. Eddie Robinson is put in to make contracts work, but Robinson is a player who can expode if he could stay injury free. Robinson is a very exciting player to watch, and contrary to what other people say he has a good midrange shot, even though it looks horrid.

The Bulls would get the Lewis who has the potential to put up 20 ppg, 7rpg. Berry would give the Bulls a great shooter, but I believe the Sonics would rather include Potapenko and his $17 mil contract.

Not bad for both teams, but great for Bulls.

PLEASE DO THIS JERRY

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The one thing is though, I can't see them including Brent Barry in that trade... because he really does have very good value, especially after last year.

However, maybe it wouldn't be so bad... as it does give Desmond Mason the starting 2-guard spot, and the large bulk of the minutes... he looks like he's goign to develop into a very good player.

Another thing they could do after that (there's no basis behind this trade, so don't treat it as a rumor), is then to turn around and trade Payton (I know, it says that Crawford was excited to play with his mentor... but it'd probably be in their best longterm interests to trade Payton, because they probably wouldn't go anywhere next year) to Indiana for a package around Jonathan Bender (although more would probably have to be added).

It gives them a rotation of:

Crawford/Anderson
Mason/Robinson
Bender/Robinson
Radman/Fizer
James/Booth

Which would give them 3 sharp-shooters in Crawford/Bender/Radman, 3 super-athletes in Mason/Robinson/Bender, incredible size, and a bull of a PF in Fizer.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You say that the Sonics would sign Rashard Lewis to a 7 year $70 mil contract and then trade him? Isn't that more or less the offer that they've been making him over the past few weeks? If they could sign him to that contract, if he would agree to that contract, well, why would they trade him for a bunch of crap? And I'M SORRY, Marcus Fizer, Jamal Crawford, and Eddie Robinson is CRAP--especially "E-Rob" and his terrible contract! Fizer is a classic tweener, "E-Rob" is an overpaid mediocrity (didn't the Sonics just get rid of one of those types?), and Crawford, well, yeah, he's got some upside, but how much? I remember watching the University of Michigan play back when Crawford was on that team--they sucked a LOT, and I don't remember thinking that he was anything special!

In any event, no, I don't see this crap happening, I expect Rashard to eventually cave in and take Seattle's offer. I'm just glad that Seattle continues to NOT BLINK--Lewis is bluffing with this Dallas-Houston crap, the best offer on the table is Seattle's by FAR, which means that he will EVENTUALLY take it!

I'd like to see Seattle use their part or all of their mid-level exception on another forward--either Donyell Marshall or Rodney Rogers would be nice! I don't like the idea of Vladimir Radmanovic starting and Predrag Drobnjak backing him up! We need a veteran big guy! Maybe if Rashard Lewis would stop the transparent negotiating ploys (it's not working, Rashard) ain't just sign the damn contract already, MAYBE this team would know what it's doing, MAYBE they could go get a Donyell Marshall or a Rodney Rogers already!

AS FOR GARY PAYTON TO INDIANA FOR JONATHAN BENDER! What? Payton's not going anywhere, Lewis ain't going anywhere, either! Seattle made the playoffs last year, they're not a rebuilding team--they want to get BETTER, not WORSE! If they'd re-sign Lewis this summer, sign Payton to an extension, sign Rodney Rogers (who did a great job in a similar up-tempo offense in Boston, he'd be a great fit) to all or part of their mid-level exception this summer, and sign Juwan Howard next summer (Howard would give them some scoring in the post, he's versatile, he won't get whopper offers next summer because there are so many other more high profile dudes available, and HE can play in an up-tempo offense, too), here's what Seattle would be looking at:

Starting lineup

PG Gary Payton (36 minutes/game)
SG Brent Barry (32 minutes/game)
SF Rashard Lewis (36 minutes/game)
PF Juwan Howard (32 minutes/game)
C Jerome James (16 minutes/game)

Key backups: Desmond Mason (32 minutes/game), Vladimir Radmanovic (24 minutes/game), Rodney Rogers (20 minutes/game), Calvin Booth (12 minutes/game)

End of the bench (no PT): Predrag Drobnjak, Vitaly Potapenko, Joe Forte

A MORE REALISTIC WAY FOR THE BULLS TO GET BETTER: Trade Fizer for Mike Miller (Orlando DESPERATELY needs some help inside, Grant Hill is coming back to play 30+ minutes/game at SF, Miller is therefore expendable); trade Crawford for Popeye Jones (MJ doesn't want to re-sign this dude to an extension, and MJ loves Crawford); sign Donyell Marshall with their full mid-level exception. Here's what the Bulls would be looking at next year:

Starting lineup

PG Jay Williams (32 minutes/game)
SG Jalen Rose (36 minutes/game)
SF Mike Miller (32 minutes/game
PF Tyson Chandler (24 minutes/game)
C Eddy Curry (24 minutes/game)

Key backups: Trenton Hassell (28 minutes/game), Donyell Marshall (28 minutes/game), Popeye Jones (20 minutes/game), Eddie Robinson (16 minutes/game)

End of the bench (no PT): Dalibor Bagaric, Roger Mason, Lonny Baxter

MUCH more realistic!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don't see the Sonics giving their two best players behind Payton for what amounts to some crap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I actually like this trade for Seattle. I think payton will be leaving next year, thus starting the rebuilding process. I don't see any big free agents wanting to play in Seattle, so I say they should sign and trade Lewis and get something for him while they still can. I think the Sonics might be able to do better, but this trade works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.