Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would say we gotta aim for longer playoff run if the team stays the same.

If we get Keon then i think the NBA Finals would be a realistic aim for next year.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Even with Keon, it's gonna be hard to beat the Pistons, Nets, and Pacers. I think Eastern Confernce Finals is a good goal.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Eastern conference finals is a realistic goal with Grant Hill, but without him we can all expect a first round exit. :rolleyes:

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
If healthy, we can expect a shot at going to the Finals.

Depends on our big man acquisitions and how they play. If Horace comes back, Hunter plays marginally better, and Oyedeji and Humphrey can both provide good minutes at times, then we should at least have a shot at EC Finals.

I don't think the Pistons are gonna be any better than last year. Wee should be able to beat them with Hill healthy. Same goes for Nets. Although if Richard Jefferson steps up this season, they could be set for Finals again this year.

Pacers could give Orlando trouble. They have good big men and rebounders in Miller, Oneal, and Harrington.

I think 3rd or 4th seed in East. Probable EC Finals, possible Finals this year.

With Keon, all those probabilities raise a bit.

I'd say in East

1. Nets
2. Pacers
3. Boston
4. Orlando
5. Detroit

If that is the case, with home court against Detroit we would go to 2nd round.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by Dee Bo
I don't think the Pistons are gonna be any better than last year. Wee should be able to beat them with Hill healthy. Same goes for Nets. Although if Richard Jefferson steps up this season, they could be set for Finals again this year.
I disagree.

I think that the Nets are definately improved. For 10 minutes a game, when Kidd sits, they looked lost (and gave up their leads almost every time) with Anthony Johnson. Having Childs instead is a big improvement over last year. Also, don't underestimate the improvements that Martin, Jefferson, and Collins will make.

As for the Pistons. Rebreca will play a bigger role, and will be productive. There's always the chance that Rodney White or Okur can do something... and the addition of Billups will be huge. He actually gives them someone that can score when Stackhouse can't.

They're still the top-2 teams in the East, in my opinion.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I agree with the Nets. I forgot the acquisition of Childs, although he isnt really that good of a player, he does improve the backcourt a bit.

I personally don't think Martin is ever going to be much more of a player than he was last year.

And Collins improvement would be marginal at best.

Jefferson is the key. He should be starting. He could turn into a star quickly...

As far as Detroit.. I dont think Chauncey is that great either. I don't think he improves that team much. He's just a streaky SG playing at the point. And I doubt White will contribute much this year. He could barely contribute to his team in the summer league. Okur I don't know about.

But if Grant Hill is healthy, he is a bigger acquisition than any team in the East made, besides possibly McDyess in NY.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The thing with Martin is that since his very first day, his shot has been improving, and he's been becoming more aggressive when it comes to creating/exploding to the basket for himself. I see no reason why it won't continue next year.

As for Collins, he went from looking lost to being a very respectable center by the end of the year. He played very smart defense against Shaq, and has a decent jump-shot that he can use more. He will be much improved next year, in my opinion.

As for Detroit... as streaky as Billups can be at times, he's a significant upgrade over Chucky Atkins. He's also automatic from the line, which means that they should have more success in close games, because he's a 90% free throw shooter.

Even if White or Okur don't do anything, the increased role of Rebreca to go along with the signing of Billups is enough to improve the team, in my opinion.

As for Hill.... yea, I agree with that. If he's healthy, he's the biggest acquisition in the East. Although I still don't think their interior defense/rebounding will be enough to make them better than Detroit or New Jersey. (although if Hill is healthy, and their big men don't look foolish... I wouldn't be surprised if they finished third)

·
Registered
388 Posts
We're a team with too many question marks for me to rank us higher then 5th team in the East and yet another first round exit because we obviously lack big men and when McGrady sits we are a team with no guy to pass to who we know can get us a few consecutive baskets and we lose our rhythm. It's very dissapointing to have so many injury prone players with great potential like Mike Miller & Grant Hill. Hill for a good time that he played in the previous season was the main scorer even getting 26-28 points in some games but mainly was a 18-20 ppg type of player. He won't be an all around baller for us so all we need for him is put the ball in the net when we are in those oh so famous scoring droughts.

I've heard that Darell Armstrong will be replaced with Jacque Vaughn as our starting point guard. That shows how much we want to win next season right? It's a complete joke. I am not a pessimistic Magic fan but I am just totally mad that we couldn't even be able to hold on to arguably our best post up players who can actually get points down low when he's playing good which is Monty Williams. I've been dissapointing with our off-season move and trades, Steven Hunter doesn't seem to be becoming a better player when you think of his summer league stats.

Ryan Humphrey is the only good sign judging by his summer league stats and also that young point guard who wasn't drafted from New York. Pardon me since I forgot his name but he's a must sign. He would definately be usefull at some stretch during the long 82 game season don't you guys think?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Miami will be better then you too.

Our frontcourt with Zo and Grant will eat you up.
You'll see it in pre-season and on the first game in regular season too.

You're going down ! ! !

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think that's rather harsh because we can use vice versa as our shooters like McGrady, Miller, Hill will be way too much for you to handle too.

Brian Grant doesn't get me worried but Zo can be a big contributor. ;)

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Magic need a big man or two or else they will exit the first round. Thats not putting the team down. It is a glaring need!! If not filled then they wont go far.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think the same.

Despite i'm a heat fan and they're my top team , i like the magic too, i think orlando is in big trouble with their frontcourt.

They've got just luck that horace grant plays another year.
The other frontcourt players are not really good (but they're young so you never know).

But i respect your offense , it is many times better then our.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts