Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4-3 in OT. Has to be the biggest upset in NCAA Hockey Tourney history. To put it in perspective, it would have been like Albany beating UConn, but it's even more shocking than that would have been.

Congrats Crusaders!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Agree 100%, the biggest upset in NCAA Ice Hockey Tournament history!! And Holy Cross won on a WCHA rink at the University of North Dakota!! And yes, this was akin to a #16 beating a #1 in hoop. And I also think even more shocking than if Albany had upset UConn.

I guess this will stop all the whining about the AHA getting an autobid!!

In other action BU smoked Nebraska-Omaha 9-2 and BC beat Miami (Ohio) 5-0. The Terriers and Beagles will play tomorrow for the 6th time this season with the winner going to the Frozen Four.

At the women's Frozen Four, Wisconsin beat St. Lawrence 1-0 and Minnesota beat UNH 5-4 scoring the game winner just inside the two minute mark. Terrific game to watch on TV and I will definitely be taking in a UNH women's game next season. The Wildcats only lose three players from this year's team so the future is bright for UNH. I think I'd schedule a couple more OOC games with Western teams next year though.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Wow, Holy Cross beating Minnesota in North Dakota. Wow, that's all I can say.

That's a big win for the progress of College Hockey.

Was this win bigger than a D-II Merrimack team beating HEA Champion Northeastern in 1988 in the NCAA's? That's the only thing even remotely equivalent that I can think of. The Mack beat NU on NU's home ice, too.

For those who care, 1980 Olympic Hero Mark Johnson coaches the Wisconsin women's team.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
NU Hoop Fan said:
Wow, Holy Cross beating Minnesota in North Dakota. Wow, that's all I can say.

That's a big win for the progress of College Hockey.

Was this win bigger than a D-II Merrimack team beating HEA Champion Northeastern in 1988 in the NCAA's? That's the only thing even remotely equivalent that I can think of. The Mack beat NU on NU's home ice, too.

For those who care, 1980 Olympic Hero Mark Johnson coaches the Wisconsin women's team.
How was D-II Merrimack playing NU in the D-I NCAA Tournament?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Merrimack if playing in the HEA in 1988 would have been D-I in hockey. Where did they finish in HE that season? They couldn't have been too bad if they made the NCAAs.

Even though Merrimack is D-II in all other sports, their HEA status makes them a more established D-I hockey team than Holy Cross. So, I definitely still give the nod to the Holy Cross upset.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GO TERRIERS first of all...

was sitting about 4 rows behind bench felt so bad for UNO goalie when they switched. he had all his gear on but still managed to look ridiculously dejected. oh well. onwards to a rematch of a week ago.
i'm getting sick of BC.

also, UMich losing to UND with the 3rd about to start. not totally sure how i feel about teams playing on their actual home ice. ie BU was hosting and Worcester has the closest mid-size ice, but even had that not been the case, we probably would have used the Garden rather than Agganis.

GL to UNH and Maine tomorrow

·
Registered
341 Posts
UNH_Alum_In_CT said:
How was D-II Merrimack playing NU in the D-I NCAA Tournament?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Merrimack is a rare 'play-up' school that has an exemption. The NCAA has since eliminated the rule, but there are some schools grandfathered in (Bentley, St. Lawrence, RPI, etc). If a D II or III school wants to have 1 sport play D I, they still can, but they cant give scholarships like the grandfathered schools can.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I understand all of that, maybe you didn't see my second reply? NUHF made it sound like they were D-II in hockey making their win over NU more impressive than just one HEA team beating another HEA team in the playoffs. Nothing really unusual in that. Merrimack may be a D-II school overall, but they're D-I in hockey and if they made the tournament that year then they couldn't be too shabby.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
UNH_Alum_In_CT said:
I understand all of that, maybe you didn't see my second reply? NUHF made it sound like they were D-II in hockey making their win over NU more impressive than just one HEA team beating another HEA team in the playoffs. Nothing really unusual in that. Merrimack may be a D-II school overall, but they're D-I in hockey and if they made the tournament that year then they couldn't be too shabby.
The Mack was Division II at the time, and they weren't in HEA at the time. I think at the time there wasn't true D-II hockey, it was D-II/III and they were somehow eligible for the NCAA's. I don't remember the nuance as to why they were in the NCAA's at the time - I'll ask some hockey fans at the NU board. I think they were transitioning from D-II to D-I and hadn't achieved D-I status yet, and I don't think there was the provisional status at the time.

I'll send you an email to your personal account with the details. No need to pollute the board with that saga.

Still a great win for the Cross.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Merrimack was a D-I independent at the time, and D-I had an autobid for the top independent, or the independent tournament winner or whatever.

Alaska-Anchorage as an independent marched into BC and swept the Eagles out of the NCAAs in the early 90's.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Great win for Holy Cross last night! That was just huge. Here's a decent recap of what the win meant in context for both HC and the AHA:

The Aftermath

One of the New England entries is going to get eliminated today (Harvard, most likely), but if Maine and UNH can get wins, it would be a pretty good weekend for New England hockey.

And a tough, tough break for the UNH women's team. They were the #1 seed for the tournament, and as luck would have it, ended up facing Minnesota (#4) on the Gophers' home ice - basically a home game for the #4 seed. Not much you can do about that, but still a tough break nonetheless. The UNH women had an outstanding season - I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't get to see any of their games this year.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
mainejeff said:
Good luck to UNH vs. Michigan State. May we meet on Sunday for a trip to Milwaukee!
Thanks Jeff, but it wasn't to be! MSU got a goal just a little over two minutes into the game and made it stand. Kind of ironic that this crazy season (for UNH) would end on the third 1-0 loss of the year!! You can usually go to the bank that a UNH game won't be 1-0 (either way) and they lose three such games this year. :whoknows: At least it wasn't a debacle like the BU game in the Hockey East semi-finals.

Good luck versus Harvard!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
black0ut said:
Merrimack is a rare 'play-up' school that has an exemption. The NCAA has since eliminated the rule, but there are some schools grandfathered in (Bentley, St. Lawrence, RPI, etc). If a D II or III school wants to have 1 sport play D I, they still can, but they cant give scholarships like the grandfathered schools can.
A new D-II play up could give scholarships if they played D-I hockey. The reason that D-III schools can't anymore (besides the 4 grandfathered schools) is because the D-III committee voted on it. The D-II committee has made no such move (for obvious reasons).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.