Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Los Angeles Clippers center Zeljko Rebraca was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat following Wednesday's game against Toronto and is sidelined indefinitely.

After scoring four points and committing four fouls in 11 minutes of the 103-100 win over the Raptors, Rebraca was admitted to Centinela Hospital. He will remain hospitalized while undergoing further tests.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=clippersrebraca&prov=st&type=lgns

damn get well Zelly

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Well, this might mean REGARDLESS of what the clippers future plans are with wilcox, they will most likely keep him throughout the year. Even if rebraca does come back, this hearbeat thing is serious business, and unless the clippers get a big in return, they need wilcox's size.

Hopefully rebraca will be ok. I believe i had open heart surgery once before which held him out for a couple years. With him on inactive list, Ndong will most likely be activated.

Dunleavvy has no choice now but to give wilcox the backup minutes now. Either that or singleton/Mccarty.

·
Banned
180 Posts
Wilcox MUST now "show-up" and play at the level he is capable of playing. He's running out of opportunities, he better not blow this one!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Yeah, hope he gets well. I'd rather the clips be a little weak at center then to have some kind of tragedy take place.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Hope he gets well soon. But what the hell is up with all these heart conditions (Traylor,Curry,Collier,Turiaf) happening in the NBA this is something the NBA should look into.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
March 7, 2003

BY PERRY A. FARRELL AND HELENE ST. JAMES
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERS

A University of Michigan doctor said a procedure to correct Zeljko Rebraca's irregular heartbeat would take about three hours and put Rebraca at just one percent risk of a complication.

Fred Morady, professor of medicine and director of clinical electrophysiology at the U-M Medical Center, examined Rebraca two weeks ago. Rebraca, a backup Pistons center, hasn't played since Dec. 21. He has taken medications that haven't cured the problem.

In the procedure Morady recommended, "the risk is literally one percent," he said. "We don't open the chest. We insert wires through the vein. We've done a few hundred atrial fibrillations with no deaths or problems."

Morady said he outlined the procedure in great detail to Rebraca, verbally and in writing.

"I had a long discussion about the procedure with Mr. Rebraca, and I am sure he knows that we talked about a catheterization, not open chest surgery," Morady said. "The risks are very low."

After meeting with Rebraca, Morady said he sensed some hesitation on Rebraca's part. That's when he suggested that Rebraca take a medication 15 to 20 minutes before practice to see if that would eliminate the lethargic symptoms Rebraca experienced with the previous medicines.

"We both decided it would be better for him to take a different approach with the medication," Morady said. "He'll take this medicine just before he works out, about 15 to 20 minutes before, and hopefully he'll lose the side effects."

Morady said several athletes have gone through the procedure Rebraca needs and have resumed playing. "The patient has to feel comfortable," Morady said. "Some people take a more conservative approach."
From Detroit Free Press in 2003. Link

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-cliprep25nov25,1,6499937.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-clippe

"It's tough for us," said Coach Mike Dunleavy, who planned to visit Rebraca before the team left Thursday night.

"Z is very solid. You pretty much know what you're going to get. You can count on him in the low post. You need somebody to score down there, he can really do that.
"He had a blank look on his face, and he looked down," forward Elton Brand said. "He's not a selfish player at all, so I knew he couldn't have been down about his minutes, but he seemed very down."
"He kept walking back into the training room," Wilcox said. "When we had a meeting and I didn't see him, I figured something was wrong."

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hope he gets healthy.

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
I am not very famaliar about irregular hearbeats. What is the process after they get the heart beating normally again?

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
Weasel said:
I am not very famaliar about irregular hearbeats. What is the process after they get the heart beating normally again?

Honestly it depends on the cause of the irregular heart beat. That are many different causes. I personally have it and mine is more genetic than anything and its nothing serious. If he is being told to have surgury he doesn't have one of the average causes, he has something else that hasnt yet been leaked to the press. Something that is directly causing irregular heart beating, which could be serious. The worest case senario (This is probably not likey cause of his age) would be getting a pace maker because his sinal is not correctly telling the heart to be regularly.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmm i wonder who Clippers have placed on the active list in place of Rebraca. N'Dong or Korolev.

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-cliprep26nov26,1,6958691.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-clippe

"He felt totally fine today, and that's totally what you want to hear," Dunleavy said. "They'll run some other precautionary tests and tell us what they think, but that was good news."
"The good news is that they don't think it's serious," Dunleavy said. "He's out of the hospital, he's home and there are no issues. That's great."

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
man i hope everyone saw how big of a part Rebraca plays in our team after our loss to Denver . . if not, then i need to slap u

1 - 20 of 26 Posts