Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
ouch. i am prepared to read alot of people backing the Bulls, krause and pax. But this article makes the Bulls look pretty bad. the sad thing is that its correct

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I'm not saying I disagree with this article, but this struck me as odd (and incorrect)

And now look. Or, in Chicago's case, don't. The Bulls are 5½ seasons into the plan and still leaning into a mighty wind. The Nuggets haven't even hit Year 2 -- from when the rebuilding officially began with the deal that headlined Nick Van Exel and Raef LaFrentz going to Dallas for Juwan Howard in a move that would provide cap relief much sooner -- and are already rattling windows as they pass.
Nuggets havent hit year two? I remember them having a few lottery picks in the last 5 years as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I look at the rosters,

Miller
Leonard
Melo
Nene
Camby
Boykins/White/Barry

looks pretty close to:

Hinrich
Crawford
Melo
Davis (Chandler)
Curry

JYD/Gill/Pippin

What a difference that borderline All-Star SF makes. The Bulls have roster positions 2-9 set, all they need is a #1 player. Ouch, that's a lousy place to be after 5 years.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
i think they are starting since Kiki got there

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
If the rebuilding started when Kiki got there, then why hasnt our rebuilding plan time reset since Pax got here?

The thing Denver has is good front office management, that alone is where their rebuilding has been so successful.

Until our front office learns how to make smart decisions consistently, our rebuilding plans may take awhile.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with this article, but I don't think it makes the Bulls look bad at all. As the article states "it's not so much the contrast to the Bulls as proof of how easily this path could have blown up in Denver's face." Clearly, Kiki ripped his rebuilding plan straight from Jerry Krause. Unload contracts, stock up on draft picks and cap space. What's so different? This is just a risky plan. You're either gonna end up in really bad shape or really good shape depending on your luck. The Bulls were unfortunate to get shut out of the free agent market, and to get one stuck with one of the worst draft classes in history the year we had 3 first rounders.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The article forgets to mention that Denver hasn't been in the playoffs since '94.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mr. Bill</b>!
I agree with this article, but I don't think it makes the Bulls look bad at all. As the article states "it's not so much the contrast to the Bulls as proof of how easily this path could have blown up in Denver's face." Clearly, Kiki ripped his rebuilding plan straight from Jerry Krause. Unload contracts, stock up on draft picks and cap space. What's so different? This is just a risky plan. You're either gonna end up in really bad shape or really good shape depending on your luck. The Bulls were unfortunate to get shut out of the free agent market, and to get one stuck with one of the worst draft classes in history the year we had 3 first rounders.
yup, when they got nene and skita i thought - basically two 18 yr olds. copy cats!

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mr. Bill</b>!
i agree.
they rolled the proverbial dice and won is what this article says to me. "it didn't blow up in denver's face"
kinda stings.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dsouljah9</b>!
The areticle forgets to mention that Denver hasn't been in the playoffs since '94.
Yea, so essentially they've been rebuilding since then. Obviously they've started over many times. Finally their rebuilding works for half a season, and all of the sudden we've done a horrible job in comparison because our original rebuilding plan hasnt worked yet.

We could easily be on the same road as them by this time next year, if we stumble upon Okafor like they did Melo.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
makes you wonder what might have been if the mythical PG+pick for Melo trade had gone through (and obviously, Jay hadn't been injured).

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ViciousFlogging</b>!
makes you wonder what might have been if the mythical PG+pick for Melo trade had gone through (and obviously, Jay hadn't been injured).
...Or else, just wonder what would have happened if jay didn't get injured.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Or, what would have happened in Denver if all those vets got injured.

Or, what would have happened in Chicago if we had just ONE long-range shooter to score us into games. Gill does a good impression sometimes, showing us what we need so badly in his impersonation, but he's obviously not it. We needed Lenard in the worst way.

I credit Voshon Lenard with very much of the Denver comeback. They had the rest of the guys to get it done, but this guy...

He was with Miami when they were good. Then he went to Denver while they struggled for a bit. Then he went to Toronto while THEY were good. Then he came back to Denver and guess what... they got good.

The guy stretched the floor. If there's some decent players and a few budding star types on the floor, he opens everything up so that those stars can really bud, and not worry about double teams and tight inside zone pressure challenging streaky shooters to ignite a nonexistent streak. Because Voshon is right there, hitting big shots and making teams pay.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Agent911</b>!
ESPN's Scott Howard-Cooper
It's amazing how smart someone looks when afforded the benefit of hindsight. Sure Denver has come from cellar-dwellars to legitimate pretenders seemingly overnight, and the Bulls are still struggling. But there are a few key things that should be pointed out.

1. Like it or not, luck has something to do with rebuilding a franchise. It's not only how high your picks are in the draft or how many you have, it's how high they are when it matters. Case in point, the Bulls had the worst record in the league when there were very few NBA ready players in the draft. The Bulls seem to always land on the wrong side of the bonafide draftee cusp. When Yao was the man to grab, the Bulls landed the 2nd pick and chose the best college player to come along in a while, hoping he'd had tremendous trade value if nothing else. In a draft where high school phenoms were a premium, the best the Bulls could do was to land the 4th pick, and then had to trade away an All-star (Brand) just to get another decent draft pick (in order to build for the future). I could go on, but it's not like the Bulls have been blessed the best of lottery picks, at least not when it's mattered .

2. The philosophy of being real bad or real good, was taken directly from the Jerry Krause Book of NBA Team Management. This is a philosophy that Jerry lived and breathed.

3. Free agency. The Bulls have managed to pick up some solid players through free agency and have picked up a few dogs as well. Brad Miller and Donyell Marshall were two excellent FA acquisitions. Rose, ERob, Oakley, and Pippen not so great. Although I think that ERob would be amazing if he played in the Nuggest up-tempo system. The Bulls really blew it this year. They should have tried to make a play for Maggette. I still think the Bulls would have been better off if they would have signed Maggette, and kept Yell and Rose.

Kudos to Denver for signing the right players, drafting the right players, and for sucking when it mattered the most.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.