Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...How do you guys feel about the Offseason..

After the Hopeful talks of A-Rod...I think with the addition of Foulke, Schilling, Reese, Bellhorn to the core group of Lowe, Pedro, Nomar, Oritz, Manny, Millar, Varitek, and Mueller, we are in Good Shape..

We Officially got Burks...

ESPN

We Resigned Nixon...

ESPN

SP1: Pedro
SP2: Schilling
SP3: Lowe
SP4: Wakefield
SP5: Kim

RP: Arroyo
RP: Embree
RP: Timlin
RP: Williamson
CP: Foulke

1 CF: Johnny Damon
2 3B: Bill Mueller
3 SS: Garciaparra
4 LF: Manny
5 DH: Oritz
6 1B: Millar
7 RF: Nixon
8 C: Varitek
9 2B: Reese or Bellhorn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
I think Pokey is going to be playing 2nd and we need to trade Bill or Kevin and maybe get some value for them because neither of them will have the same year as they had last...same with Ortiz...although IMO Ortiz could do some damange.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,261 Posts
Originally posted by <b>aquaitious</b>!
I think Pokey is going to be playing 2nd and we need to trade Bill or Kevin and maybe get some value for them because neither of them will have the same year as they had last...same with Ortiz...although IMO Ortiz could do some damange.
Actually, with the exception of Bill Mueller, none of the Red Sox had unrealistically good seasons for them. Ortiz's numbers can be linked to playing 81 games in Fenway. Millar actually had a better batting average two seasons ago in Florida and had his lowest average since his second full season.

I really don't think its unrealistic to see this team be better than last seasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!


Actually, with the exception of Bill Mueller, none of the Red Sox had unrealistically good seasons for them. Ortiz's numbers can be linked to playing 81 games in Fenway. Millar actually had a better batting average two seasons ago in Florida and had his lowest average since his second full season.

I really don't think its unrealistic to see this team be better than last seasons.
We've had a lot of help last year, 3 or 4 guys have hit career numbers, in RBI's, HR, BA, everything. Ortiz was a monster, Millar play like no one expected him to, Mueller was the Batting champ, and Todd Walker even had a very good year for us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
The best move they made this off season (besides signing Curt) is resigning Trot Nixon.

I would have liked to have had Todd Walker back (All this talk about his lack of defense is junk. Did people not see him in the playoffs?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>aquaitious</b>!
We've had a lot of help last year, 3 or 4 guys have hit career numbers, in RBI's, HR, BA, everything. Ortiz was a monster, Millar play like no one expected him to, Mueller was the Batting champ, and Todd Walker even had a very good year for us.
I'd argue that Ortiz had a career year because he's just getting better as a player. Here's his trend in OPS+ starting in 2000, at age 24: 98, 107, 122, 144. When you combine that with the fact he's also been fairly injury-riddled, it's not hard to believe that he should have a similar year next year, as he did this year.

With Millar? Last year was a below-average year for him. His BA, OBP, and SLG all went down... even though he switched from a pitchers park to a hitters park. His OPS+ since he became a regular: 107, 119, 141, 131, 110. There's no reason to expect him to be worse next year than he was this year. I think he's going to have a better year.

Todd Walker is not on the team anymore, but again, last year he was not a better hitter than he has been in his career. He's just had more opportunties to knock in runs.

The only player that had a career year, and an unexpected one, was Bill Mueller (possibly Varitek too). He's usually just been an average and solid hitter for his career. He probably won't be as good as he was last year, but he's still a decent-hitting 3B.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,840 Posts
I think the Red Sox will take it this year. All they have done is basically added to their team last year, which was only a game away from the World Series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not saying they suck, I'm just saying not to expect so much from all those guys, especially on offense.

I loved Todd Walker in the Post-Season, and thought we needed to resign him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by <b>aquaitious</b>!
Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not saying they suck, I'm just saying not to expect so much from all those guys, especially on offense.

I loved Todd Walker in the Post-Season, and thought we needed to resign him.
Bellhorn had a 25+ HR season 2 years ago, and Pokey is a Defensive Wiz..

I think the Yankees Post should get deleted..:D...:grinning:...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Celts11</b>!


Bellhorn had a 25+ HR season 2 years ago, and Pokey is a Defensive Wiz..

I think the Yankees Post should get deleted..:D...:grinning:...:D
I know...the offense looks good based on the past...but I just have a weird feeling about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Urgent A-Rod News..

BREAKING NEWS: A-Rod trade proposed by Yankees for Alfonso Soriano. The Rangers have accepted but, just like the Red Sox, money and the players union will be an issue.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1735039

If this get's done, the Red Sox will be at a great disadvantage. Let's hope the Yankees find a way to mess it up or John Henry quickly strikes a deal for A-Rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Well lets see if it gets done first, then see what the yankees have to give up for him. If it's just Soriano for A rod, then the yankees are getting a steal and thats an understatement!!!! But if they have to give up some pitching, then they get even more weaker there not to mention weaker at second base. We shall see. But if it goes through, will the Red sox try to do something else themselves???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rowdyness</b>!
I only have 1 thing to say about a Red Sox thread in the CELTICS forum.

LETS die YANKEES clap clap clapclapclap.
A-Rod going to the Yankees does not surprise me. We all knew the head of the baseball players union grew up in New York. Of course the fix is in.
Ws there any doubt?

Edited. ---agoo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,107 Posts
"A-Rod willing to play 3rd base"??????

He never said that when we wanted him....that's it trade Manny for A-Rod and move him to 3rd, and keep Nomar.

On the other hand, I don't see any reason why Texas would do that trade. Soriano? He did worst in the postseason then the 3 first games Antoine played Kenyon Martin.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,261 Posts
If you posted in this thread and its deleted, its because it was unacceptable and needed to be edited. Please keep your posts on topic. ---agoo
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace25one</b>!
Well lets see if it gets done first, then see what the yankees have to give up for him. If it's just Soriano for A rod, then the yankees are getting a steal and thats an understatement!!!! But if they have to give up some pitching, then they get even more weaker there not to mention weaker at second base. We shall see. But if it goes through, will the Red sox try to do something else themselves???
You remember Wilson played 1 game in RF and the Boss traded for Raul. You think Wilson will play more then 1 season at 2nd? I expect a all All-Star IF at the lastest next season.

-Petey
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>24-7</b>!


A-Rod going to the Yankees does not surprise me. We all knew the head of the baseball players union grew up in New York. Of course the fix is in.
Ws there any doubt?

Edited. ---agoo
Logic? If you read around, AROD will not be making less money through this trade. In his trade to Boston he would had been losing 30 million dollars?

George does not pay the head of the players union, but the players do. The players union takes a percentage of pay from their pay checks. So imagine if the players union takes a cut of ARod contract and he loses 30 million, how much do they lose? 3,000? 30,000? Who knows? But that is money out of his pocket. Now if the best player in baseball in the middle of the free agency season takes a pay cut, what will that do for Vlad and Tejada? If all FA at that point have lower value due to the best position player in Baseball taking a cut how much more do they lose? How much more in salary does the head of the players union lose? Lots. That is why it was turned down.

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by <b>ace25one</b>!
Well lets see if it gets done first, then see what the yankees have to give up for him. If it's just Soriano for A rod, then the yankees are getting a steal and thats an understatement!!!! But if they have to give up some pitching, then they get even more weaker there not to mention weaker at second base. We shall see. But if it goes through, will the Red sox try to do something else themselves???
The Rangers also get a Minor League Pitcher..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
"George does not pay the head of the players union"


BS he doesn't. He paid someone off for this deal to happen.
Did anyone hear Selig say that this kind of deal (regarding one team paying that much money for a trade to happen) wouldn't be the norm.
He just admitted he let the Yankees do something no one else will get away with. Baseball is fixed and Selig just admitted it.
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top