Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are we to make anything of the fact that Eddy Curry's breakout week has occurred at the same time as the return of Tyson Chandler? Does Tyson really help Eddy that much?

Well, Tyson hasn't played all that many minutes. He certainly hasn't taken many shots (and god knows that when he does, they're ugly, really ugly). Clearly he has skills as a help defender, and perhaps this puts Eddy more at ease on the defensive end of the floor. Maybe he is able to expend a little less of his energy on the defensive end and use it on the other end of the floor.

Curry definitely looks a little bit slimmed down. All those extra workouts have finally helped to improve his conditioning. Maybe Skiles' teaching is helping out.

I will say that Eddy's game last night must have been one of his top 5 ever. Scoring over 20 points is not that unique for the kid, but 12 rebounds and some real toughness around the basket is not what we have come to expect.

Now I know Wookie believes there is a Twin Tower connection, that Curry needs Chandler to be his best. Sorry for stealing your thunder, Wookie! Rlucas has been much more dubious. I thought this was worthy of it's own thread, so let's discuss...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i dont think curry's play has anything to do with chandler... i think its his improved conditioning and the fact that they are going to him much more often... increased PT + more touches = bigger numbers

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!
Are we to make anything of the fact that Eddy Curry's breakout week has occurred at the same time as the return of Tyson Chandler? Does Tyson really help Eddy that much?

Well, Tyson hasn't played all that many minutes. He certainly hasn't taken many shots (and god knows that when he does, they're ugly, really ugly). Clearly he has skills as a help defender, and perhaps this puts Eddy more at ease on the defensive end of the floor. Maybe he is able to expend a little less of his energy on the defensive end and use it on the other end of the floor.

Curry definitely looks a little bit slimmed down. All those extra workouts have finally helped to improve his conditioning. Maybe Skiles' teaching is helping out.

I will say that Eddy's game last night must have been one of his top 5 ever. Scoring over 20 points is not that unique for the kid, but 12 rebounds and some real toughness around the basket is not what we have come to expect.

Now I know Wookie believes there is a Twin Tower connection, that Curry needs Chandler to be his best. Sorry for stealing your thunder, Wookie! Rlucas has been much more dubious. I thought this was worthy of it's own thread, so let's discuss...
Not enough minutes this year to draw any conclusions. But outside of one or 2 games during their career, Chandler and Curry have had their best stretches when the other guy is not playing. That is pretty much a fact. Chandlers best stretch as a pro came last Dec and Jan when curry was a DNP

Currys best stretch came last Mar and April when chandler was battling one of his 2000 injuries he has had since being a Bull. So up to this point, the answer is clearly no. can it work down the line? Yes. but only if one of these guys comes up with a J on offense. And so far, neither guy has

·
Registered
352 Posts
Now we all just have to hope that Curry can keep it up during the offseason and comes to play in shape next year, because this year is a bust even if he finishes strong

·
Registered
226 Posts
To me, Eddy's rebounding comes from the simple fact that he's actually jumping. Not really anything special in positioning or anticipating or anything, just jumping.

Eddy's scoring comes from the simple fact that he can jump and move quickly. And the fact that he can stay on the court long enough to have an impact.

I would say that definitely the extra conditioning work is starting to pay off, and pay off bigtime. Eddy can now out quick Ostertag easily, and out jump him too. Eddy hasn't figured out how to use that athletic ability yet, he just has it and does his thing to get off a shot, and half the time they went down.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
One thing about this connection thing that I think has gone unoticed this year is .

2002-2003 bulls no longer with the team

Hassell
Hoiberg
Jay
RMJ
Bags

Baxter
Rose
Marshall

Plus add in Fizer and Chandlers missing games due to injuries and Erobs battles with injuries and/or coaches doghouse

not to mention coaching change

and you you basically have Curry and Crawford playing major minutes with a new team for a long period of time.

It takes time to figure out their tendencies and capabilities especially when it comes to court spacing and pasing into the post.Chandler knows Currys game and they anticipate what each other will do well because they have played together a while now .This imo is what Pax I think under estimated in making his changes during midseason .How major roster turnover and a coaching change will affect the team.

Barring anymore serious injuries I think we should expect to see steady continous improvement from the team as rotations can be better set now and continuity can be established.I could easily see us playing ourselves out of a top ten pick this year.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

Now I know Wookie believes there is a Twin Tower connection, that Curry needs Chandler to be his best. Sorry for stealing your thunder, Wookie!
doesn't that look like "credit" to you? :)

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Zeos</b>!
To me, Eddy's rebounding comes from the simple fact that he's actually jumping. Not really anything special in positioning or anticipating or anything, just jumping.
When Skiles answered the question "What does Eddy Curry need to do to improve his rebounding?" Skiles gave the one word answer, "Jump." The reporters all laughed. Skiles wasn't kidding or trying to bust Curry's cookies.

Jumping to get rebounds is a good thing.

I don't watch all the Bulls' games, but I watch most of them. I've seen hundreds of rebounds that I thought Curry should get that ended up being collected by opponents. Despite the fact that I've seen Curry bring down double-digit rebounds on several occasions, but amazingly, I've still NEVER seen him grab a board I thought an opponent should have gotten.

Jumping is a start.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Truthhurst is right on with his post and we hardly ever tallk about it. When you are constantly change players, coaches, and management it is the young players who's games are going to suffer and struggle. And this also applies to JC as well as curry. New plays, defensive asignments, ect. Not to mention curry got alot of easy baskets at the end of last year via pick and rolls with Jay williams who was awsome at spliting the doulble team on the pick and roll.

And for JC while i constantly curse his D on offensive he has to shoulder the lions share of the load to manufacturing points now that rose is gone. That is a lot to ask of someone to over night take on that kind of pressure and be the primary score option. It should be no surprise his shooting % are done.

What this team really needs is some time to mature and find some chemistry like they had at the end of last year. We could also use a SF and get chanlder back and healthy.

david

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
It's much too soon to say for this year, but Eddy's recent hot streak has come with Tyson not in the game for long periods. Against the Sonics Tyson was ejected, and coincidentally, the Sonics have absolutely no interior defense. In the last 3 games, Tyson has played 12, 11, and 20 minutes, and of that time I know some of it was without Eddy on the floor. Eddy's recent success can't be attributed to Tyson's return. More likely it can be a combination of him getting his head out of his ***, the extra conditioning is working out finally, and probably less pressure now that he doesn't have his hometown fans booing him.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Eddy's resurgence is clearly a combination of several factors:

(1) He's FINALLY back in reasonable condition. He's been playing 35-40 mpg instead of 20-25 a few weeks ago.

(2) Skiles extra work is paying off. Eddy is finally understanding that things don't come easy and require effort. Although I still see some laziness on the court, he seems to be more active. He's even backing his butt in and clearing out position in the post rather than standing around and waiting for the ball.

(3) Chandler's back on the court. For whatever reason, the energy Chandler brings is infectious. It also shift the balance on offense, very clearly, from a guard oriented game to a big man oriented game. This means more touches for Eddy in better positions to score.

(4) It's the second half of the season. DUH! Curry isn't capable of playing well until 40 games have passed. Have we learned nothing from the past 2 seasons?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts