Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coach Scott Skiles isn't worried about Hinrich hitting the rookie wall despite his heavy playing time and heart-on-his-sleeve play. "He's in very, very good shape physically," Skiles said. "Kirk will have typical rookie ups and downs. But I don't know that it's going to have anything to do with hitting the wall. And he's had way more ups than downs."...
This was linked on another thread, but felt it warranted its own notice, seeing as how this is a pertinent topic this time of the season:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...lsbits,1,1730690.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Skiles has his head up his ***. Every rookie hits the wall. And as much as Skiles is playing Kirk, Kirk WILL hit the wall. Probably for the precise reason we all like him. You can't bust your *** for a full 82 game season and not expect to break down the first time you try it.

The only rookie who might avoid the wall is Lebron, because of this latest rest with the ankle, and the fact he already has the build of a 27 year old. But I still think Lebron will or is in the process of hitting the wall.

No one can escape the wall.

Kirk'll be aight though. He'll play through it and have a really strong second half.

A few weeks ago I kind of thought he was already hitting the wall. He was looking a little listless there for a few games.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with everything you said, futuristxen. However, I do have to believe that Skiles isn't lying when he says that Kirk's in excellent physical condition. He's incredibly fit. And I think that if/when the rookie wall comes, it will be later and/or less pronounced with Kirk than it will be with the vast majority of other rookies.

Damn kid blew everybody out of the water in the conditioning tests from the first time he stepped foot on campus at Kansas. He'd beat everybody in sprints and then turn around and outrun them in distance.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Kirk hitting the rookie wall could be another reason for Paxson to make a move for a back up PG, since Brunson doesn't cut it, Pippen is injury prone and Gill is injured, meaning JC would have to spend the majority of time at SG.

I just hope Skiles is weary that it may happen.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Of course that will be what Skiles says. It doesn't make sense for him to say anything except that. I supposse it is possible that he busts through the rookie wall, Brand did. But I think backcourt player exert more energy and Kirk certainly does. I really don't see Kirk breaking through the rookie wall. He will hit it at some point in time I think.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
a minor point - but....

can someone please charter this kid a private jet (PAX?) so he can leave chicago after the boston game thurs. pm 2/12 and not have to fly out at 6am friday, fly to LA and play in the game that same night? the game, according to nba.com is on friday night (not sat).

HE IS OUR ALL-STAR!! oh well, i'm sure he'll be flying first class anyway.

all-star schedule

·
Registered
642 Posts
Damn kid blew everybody out of the water in the conditioning tests from the first time he stepped foot on campus at Kansas. He'd beat everybody in sprints and then turn around and outrun them in distance.

When you think about it, Kirk is probably the key to getting the Bulls out of their cycle of losing.

The biggest problem with the Bulls is not their lack of talent it's the fact that as a team they do not work hard enough, and they do not play team ball.

Every player want's to win, but many aren't willing to do what it takes to win. If you could get a few other guys like Kirk who actually "walk the walk" the culture on this team would start to change and players who have no idea what it takes to win in this league (see Curry, Crawford) might have a hope in hell of becoming good team players.

This is why I think Shane battier would be a firkin messiah for the Bulls and why I think they should do anything they can to get Emeka Okafor in the draft.

I think Kirk is the first of several moves that are going to change the culture on this team and hopefully break the cycle of losing.

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Potatoe</b>!
When you think about it, Kirk is probably the key to getting the Bulls out of their cycle of losing.

The biggest problem with the Bulls is not their lack of talent it's the fact that as a team they do not work hard enough, and they do not play team ball.

Every player want's to win, but many aren't willing to do what it takes to win. If you could get a few other guys like Kirk who actually "walk the walk" the culture on this team would start to change and players who have no idea what it takes to win in this league (see Curry, Crawford) might have a hope in hell of becoming good team players.

This is why I think Shane battier would be a firkin messiah for the Bulls and why I think they should do anything they can to get Emeka Okafor in the draft.

I think Kirk is the first of several moves that are going to change the culture on this team and hopefully break the cycle of losing.
I believe this post is spot-on and should not be buried in a "Kirk hitting the rookie wall" thread.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The only rookie who might avoid the wall is Lebron, because of this latest rest with the ankle, and the fact he already has the build of a 27 year old.
How many 27 year olds you know actually have that kind of build? I've seen 27 year old offensive linemen that are 6'6" and 340 pounds, and I've seen 27 year old waiters who are 5'10" and 150 pounds.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
Skiles has his head up his ***. Every rookie hits the wall. And as much as Skiles is playing Kirk, Kirk WILL hit the wall. Probably for the precise reason we all like him. You can't bust your *** for a full 82 game season and not expect to break down the first time you try it.

The only rookie who might avoid the wall is Lebron, because of this latest rest with the ankle, and the fact he already has the build of a 27 year old. But I still think Lebron will or is in the process of hitting the wall.

Kirk'll be aight though. He'll play through it and have a really strong second half.

A few weeks ago I kind of thought he was already hitting the wall. He was looking a little listless there for a few games.
One can do anything their mind can conceive. You are wrong.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!

i think that string of games was about as close to the rookie wall as this kid is going to get. i was concerned about it at the time. i am not as worried now. he seems so mentally tough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts