Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although he was hurt for most of this year, I still think that McNeal could be a high pick(if he does well in camps and the combine and stuff). He is amazingly athletic and has a hell of an arm. In his junior year at A&M he looked like he was on his way to becoming a top 10 draft pick(with a strong senior showing). Where do yall think he'll get drafted?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
McNeal has really dropped this year, right now he'd probably a Day 2 pick in the 4th or 5th round. At that point I think he'd be a great pick, low risk high reward. But I feel right now his game translates to a WR in the NFL, he is fast and athletic, I think WR might be a better fit for him.

NFLDraftForecast.com Reggie McNeal Profile as a QB.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
I don't think he'll work his way into the 1st round. He'll shine at the combine but there isn't enough need for a QB from most teams for him to be picked that early. It also comes down to paying QB's drafted in the 1st round when you really don't need one. Thats not to say he won't end up being a steal in the middle of the 2nd round for someone.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
froggyvk said:
McNeal has really dropped this year, right now he'd probably a Day 2 pick in the 4th or 5th round. At that point I think he'd be a great pick, low risk high reward. But I feel right now his game translates to a WR in the NFL, he is fast and athletic, I think WR might be a better fit for him.

NFLDraftForecast.com Reggie McNeal Profile as a QB.
I think if he is a true 6'2" he'll still be a 1st day player but I have a feeling he might be only 6' which could knock him into being a 2nd day pick. He has a good arm and I think he can make NFL type throws. Nor do I think he is fast enough to play WR in the NFL either... but he'd make a quick QB.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
I think he's Michael Bishop part II. Great arm, great athlete, not polished enough as a passer. I think he goes in 3rd-4th round.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
I think he could be a potential steal. He shown the last few yrs he was a better passer than Vince Young was. Even last yr, he had better numbers. Does it all change how good of a passer he is/was now? This yr he did not have a good yr at all yes, and Young has gotten better as a passer but McNeal has the ability. I think he could make it as a QB but if not, he's does have the speed to be a WR, He's runs in the 4.3s, 4.4s. He's not Brad Smith.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By high pick I meant like 2nd or 3rd Round. I don't think anyones going to gamble on him with a 1st Rounder. That being said, how come every quarterback that is fast has to be translated to WR? That website has Vince Young being a WR in the pros as well and I just don't see it for either guy. McNeal has a plenty strong arm and I like him at QB better. I think he could sneak into the 2nd Round but realistically he is a 3rd/4th Round pick. IMO he's going to be a steal.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
texan said:
By high pick I meant like 2nd or 3rd Round. I don't think anyones going to gamble on him with a 1st Rounder. That being said, how come every quarterback that is fast has to be translated to WR? That website has Vince Young being a WR in the pros as well and I just don't see it for either guy. McNeal has a plenty strong arm and I like him at QB better. I think he could sneak into the 2nd Round but realistically he is a 3rd/4th Round pick. IMO he's going to be a steal.
There's alot more that goes into being a QB than having a strong arm. Does he make good decisions? Is he accurate? Can he read defenses? Does he have experience running a pro-style offense? How are his mechanics? Generally, fast, athletic QBs are considered to be projects because they lack in these areas. They are such talented runners that they've basically been able to get by on natural talent and haven't been properly developed as passers. Look at Vick. Even now, there are still things that he doesn't do well as a QB because he's been able to rely on his athleticism so much.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Pinball said:
I think he's Michael Bishop part II. Great arm, great athlete, not polished enough as a passer. I think he goes in 3rd-4th round.
i was a huge michael bishop fan when he played for kansas state and then luckily the pats got him 7th round when i thought he was ill and i wanted him to play over bledsoe (brady who? lol)... but... mcneal and bishop are really very seperate players. Bishop had the strongest arm ive ever seen, period. drew bledsoe was in awe of what he saw bishop do in practice every day (able to throw 90+ yard bombs).In fact the pats brought him in for only a few plays in his career and those few were hail marys.Also, Bishop ran about a 4.6 or 4.7 far from the 4.3-4.4 that NcNeal runs. I feel that McNeal has incredible athleticism and a very good ability to pass. Whether or not he (or any other current college qb for that matter) will be able to read NFL defenses is anyones guess. Bishop had a better arm but IMO was a dumber player. Bishop had to be a complete idiot to not make it in the L and he didn't. He doesnt even dominate arena league.

I would agree with your assesment of where he will be drafted.

Remember the year bishop was drafted? WHAT THE **** WERE BENGALS THINKING TAKING AKILI SMITH? HAHA

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
P2TheTruth34 said:
Remember the year bishop was drafted? WHAT THE **** WERE BENGALS THINKING TAKING AKILI SMITH? HAHA
No clue what they were thinking but how much better could Bishop could of been with some PT... More time to learn how to make the throws outside of the go route... :whoknows:

·
Registered
618 Posts
vince wont b a wr... froggy thinks every running qb shud b a wr but it doesnt mean they will. (no offense).

these guys arent matt jones

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
P2TheTruth34 said:
vince wont b a wr... froggy thinks every running qb shud b a wr but it doesnt mean they will. (no offense).

these guys arent matt jones
I would hardly call two guys as "every"...

EDIT: I meant three. Brad Smith too.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Brad Smith is too slow in my opinion to play WR.

If anyone does out of these 3 itll be McNeal I think and I highly doubt it.
These guys all take pride in playing QB and unless they would immediately be vaulted into the 1st round as WRs I really dont see it happening. Also, I dont mean to be a ****, I just think that your assuming a pretty large transition out of Young who has improved his passing (despite many deficiencies).
Also, I havnt seen McNeal much this year as he has been hurt etc. but in the past I have been impressed with his ability to look down field when the pocket opens up instead of completely forgetting the play and running. McNeal has a good arm and pretty solid fundamentals so I don't see him changing spots either.

·
Registered
378 Posts
dissonance19 said:
He's runs in the 4.3s, 4.4s.
I seriously doubt that.

·
Registered
618 Posts
check out spring college footy mags u tools, he clealrly ran a 4.28 on track surface. do i think he is a legitimate 4.2 guy? not really, but hes clearly a quick motha****a.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
AZwildcats4 said:
I seriously doubt that.
Reggie McNeal is not that big to where he'd run a 4.5 or 6. He's 6'2 and pretty thin. Besides, if Matt Jones at 6'6 can run a 4.37 at the combine as he did(go look it up if you don't believe me), then that's not that unbelieveable for McNeal to run a 4.3 or 4.

·
Registered
378 Posts
We'll see...from what I've seen Matt Jones is a faster athlete that McNeal. I would guess he runs a 4.45 at best.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Jones is faster but McNeal is quicker IMO. Jones isn't going to make many people miss but once he gets to his top speed his long stride helps him cover some serious ground. Reggie gets to his top speed quick but he's not going to leave defenders in his tracks but it does allow him to dodge defenders. The biggest thing that seperates the two of them is the fact Reggie has a much better arm even if he does lack the "NFL QB Size" that everyone raves about. How many starting NFL QBs are really over 6'3?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts