Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Michael Jordan Responds to Comparisons to Rose

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...ordan-responds-comparison-derrick-rose-injury

Speaking Saturday on ESPN 1000's "Talkin' Baseball," Reinsdorf was asked about Rose, who had surgery May 12 to repair a torn ACL in his left knee and is expected to take eight to 12 months to recover.

"I'm not going to let him back until the doctors tell me that it's absolutely safe for him to come back," Reinsdorf said. "I made that mistake with Michael Jordan years ago where I think we let him come back too soon. It worked out OK, but it might not have.

"This time I'm not going to make that mistake. Until the doctors say he's 100 percent and they put their reputations on the line, he's not coming back."

Overall this is an interesting read, and I agree with Reinsdorf's approach... but this was definitely something that caught my attention, when MJ started responding about Reinsdorf's insistence that he take things slowly after his foot injury in '85

"The thing was, at the time, we were going through a rebuilding process, and I was practicing two hours a day and that was the thing that bothered me more than anything," Jordan said. "If I can go through two-hour practices, as intense as I practice, then when the game came, they gave me a seven-minute window (in each half) to play.

"That's when I felt more frustrated than anything. I felt more than anything they were positioning themselves for the draft and I didn't feel good being part of that. I felt I was an all-out player who didn't half-ass anything, and they wanted to move up (in the draft). I was a player, I wanted to play."

Reinsdorf claims he was just being cautious with his superstar and says the same thing with regard to how he wants to treat Rose, but I came away from the article believing that we tanked in 85-86... and it definitely added context to this offseason, at least in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Eh, Jordan's an ass, and it's not smart to rush a star back from an injury. I bet he had an argument with management 17 years ago about being ready and he never let it go.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Eh, Jordan's an ass, and it's not smart to rush a star back from an injury. I bet he had an argument with management 17 years ago about being ready and he never let it go.
Jordan's an ass? What have Reinsdorf's teams been without Jordan? You had Krause, who should have been let go in 98, and then Reinsdorf hires and retains Paxson, who has provided no value. What was Paxson's team going to look like without crazy luck in 2008?

Reinsdorf has always been a moron and I can't wait until he either sells the team or dies (only because I don't want him to own the team, not because I have an affirmative interest in his death other than that - see Raiders fans wanting Davis to just pass on).

"He looked down to sign MJ's 30 million dollar contract, and before he did, he looked up and said, 'I can't help but feel like I'm going to regret this.'"

And MJ's the ass lol.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Jordan's an ass? What have Reinsdorf's teams been without Jordan? You had Krause, who should have been let go in 98, and then Reinsdorf hires and retains Paxson, who has provided no value. What was Paxson's team going to look like without crazy luck in 2008?

Reinsdorf has always been a moron and I can't wait until he either sells the team or dies (only because I don't want him to own the team, not because I have an affirmative interest in his death other than that - see Raiders fans wanting Davis to just pass on).

"He looked down to sign MJ's 30 million dollar contract, and before he did, he looked up and said, 'I can't help but feel like I'm going to regret this.'"

And MJ's the ass lol.

Yes, Jordan's an ass. He was also a phenomenal basketball player. If you've paid attention to anything he's done off the court during his life it shouldn't come across as unlikely that he'd harbor a grudge over a shouting match for nearly twenty years. I mean, you watched his HOF speech, right?

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Yes, Jordan's an ass. He was also a phenomenal basketball player. If you've paid attention to anything he's done off the court during his life it shouldn't come across as unlikely that he'd harbor a grudge over a shouting match for nearly twenty years. I mean, you watched his HOF speech, right?
Oh he's an ass, I just was observing context here. In the context of giving a speech or even being in a room with the man? Sure. In the context of his views on his basketball health? Probably not.

Reinsdorf is an ass in all contexts.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Oh he's an ass, I just was observing context here. In the context of giving a speech or even being in a room with the man? Sure. In the context of his views on his basketball health? Probably not.

Reinsdorf is an ass in all contexts.
Not defending Reinsdorf. Trash him all you'd like. However, Jordan would play on a broken bone if you let him, and this is the same guy that gave Tyson Chandler away for nothing the summer before Tyson swung the NBA Finals because he didn't progress from a foot injury in the time expected. Considering that the Bulls weren't winning the title in '85 anyway, and that Jordan's foot didn't come back to haunt him as a recurring issue, it's hard to fault Chicago management for being (possibly) overly conservative in this particular instance.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But why does that make MJ an ass for wanting to play, particularly when the team doctor had cleared him?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
But why does that make MJ an ass for wanting to play, particularly when the team doctor had cleared him?
I'm saying he's an ass in general, which is why I think it's more likely him taking advantage of an opportunity to go after someone we already know he doesn't like than it is that Chicago was tanking during a season they made the playoffs. Just because a guy's cleared to play doesn't make it a tough decision to send him back out there. How many times has Steph Curry been cleared to play on that ankle?

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm saying he's an ass in general, which is why I think it's more likely him taking advantage of an opportunity to go after someone we already know he doesn't like than it is that Chicago was tanking during a season they made the playoffs. Just because a guy's cleared to play doesn't make it a tough decision to send him back out there. How many times has Steph Curry been cleared to play on that ankle?
A reporter asked him a question and he answered... he mentioned his feelings on this during his hall of fame speech too... also, Jordan's beef was more with Jerry Krause than it was with Jerry Reinsdorf.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Meh, Jordan can rub people the wrong way off the court, but those same qualities is a factor that made him the greatest. The fact that he was disappointed with his PT after coming back from an injury killed him. He didn't want to tank, he didn't want to ease into things. He felt, that he proved he was healthy, and that he wanted the chance to go out there and compete.

Nothing in that makes him an ass. Just an athlete with a lot of heart.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
A reporter asked him a question and he answered... he mentioned his feelings on this during his hall of fame speech too... also, Jordan's beef was more with Jerry Krause than it was with Jerry Reinsdorf.
I think you misread how I meant the original post. It was meant to read "Jordan's an ass, therefore, I think this version of events is likely", and not "Because of this quote, Jordan's an ass".

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
edit to add: gotcha Bogg

So will Jerry Reinsdorf lean on Rose not to come back in an effort to tank this year?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
So will Jerry Reinsdorf lean on Rose not to come back in an effort to tank this year?
Honestly, it might depend on how the Bulls are looking in March. If they overachieve and are in position to jump up the the 4/5 matchup come playoff time I could see Rose coming back in time to play major minutes in the playoffs, but if they're ten games under .500 come the all-star break I could see them start shutting guys down and possibly trading some supporting cast types for cap savings and a draft pick.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
What Reinsdorf left out was whether doctors did say that Jordan was 100% ready to play or not. No doctor in their right mind would clear Jordan to practice for 2 hours a day yet keep him out of actual games. Obviously we don't know for sure what really happened behind the scenes but if Jordan felt he was 100% and there was no medical reason to hold him out, why not let him play?

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Obviously Jordan has a point , if you aren't going to put limits in practice there shouldn't be any in games seeing as they are virtually the same in time length and apparently for him the same in intensity .

when teams are trying to win with a player they believe is less than 100% usually they limit his practice time to cushion his return....that they went to games instead implies tanking.

in hindsight it was an excellent move since they drafted both horace grant and scottie pippen in the following draft , if they had finished with a better record it may not have been possible....so in the end you kind of have to applaud reinsdorf and krause for taking the long view on that one.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Well don't forget that Pippen was a trade. We actually drafted Olden Polynice before we drafted Grant and while we did good on drafting Grant, we also passed up on Reggie Miller, Mark Jackson and to a lesser extent Reggie Lewis who were all drafted after Grant.

I would chuck it up to another bout of extreme luck that Pippen paned out the way he did.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, we drafted Brad Sellers 9th overall after that season - the Pippen-trade/Grant draft were the next year

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Sit down Bogg.
Why? Because I said that Chicago was most likely being overly cautious instead of openly tanking, and it's hard to fault them because in hindsight it worked out, or do you actually think that Jordan's a pleasant person to be around?

·
do better
41,522 Posts
I think you're just taking an opportunity to shit on Mike.

How is he being bitter/taking a shot just saying I wanted to play and they weren't letting me. Who gets flak for saying something like that?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts