Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The world will not end because the Bulls could are not beating teams in the summer league. We have a young team, and they are going to look very good some nights and very, very bad on other nights. Get used to it. I would highly recommend drinking a beer or smoking some weed while watching Bulls games this year. Otherwise, some of us are likely to go bald from pulling our hair out.

So seriously, why are we struggling? The team we are putting out there includes 3 or 4 starters and most of our key reserve players. We should be dominating these other teams, many who are just as young as we are. So why are we struggling?

1. We are trying to run the Triangle offense, and what that means for a team with a lot of young guys is that we have five guys evenly spaced around the floor playing one-on-one ball. So we end up with very few easy shots, very few assists, and quite a few turnovers as different players take their turn going one-on-one.

The bad news is that our offense is not going to get a lot better until we have a couple of players who can consistently demand double teams. When that happens our spacing will put the other players in places to get good shots. Also, as players get more comfortable with the Triangle, we can add more wrinkles to it that create better scoring opportunities.

That said, I was impressed with how Curry, Chandler, Baxter, JWill, Hassell, and Crawford were able to create shots for themselves. We sometimes shot too quickly (especially JWill), but rarely had trouble getting a good shot.

2. In these Summer League games, the motion offense that other teams use that are heavy on pick-and-rolls and off-the-ball screens gives other teams a huge advantage over us. These are much, much easier offenses to put in with young players and are very difficult for young players to defend.

Our perimeter players have a lot of trouble fighting through screens, and our big guys (with the exception of Baxter) have not learned the art of stepping out on the pick-and-roll. The Grizzlies were always able to get easy shots off the pick-and-roll.

With the exception of JWill and Curry from time to time, I thought our on-the-ball defense was very good (not counting fighting through screens). Chandler was impressive in shutting down Gooden. Our guys will learn how to fight through screens and how to defend the pick-and-roll.

3. Guys who have been around the block like Eddie Gill, Fred House, and Rico Hill made our guys look young. That is going to happen quite often this season. In particular, Rico Hill gave us a lot of trouble. He is a 6'5" guard playing PF, and we had no answer for him defensively. I felt sorry for Eddy when he got matched up with him at the top of the key near the end of the game. Unfortunately, Crawford and JWill are not good enough passers to take advantage of this mismatch on the offensive end. The good news is that we won't see many Rico Hill-type PFs during the regular season, and if we do, Rose is a good enough passer that he will make the other team pay for it when we are on offense.

This is a long post, but on to individual assessments.

JWill - The good news is that he is as quick as advertised and will be able to create good shots for himself. I am not that worried about his low shooting percentage and think that he will develop into a reasonably high percentage shooter. The bad news is that he has a lot of unforced turnovers and really doesn't seem to be much of a passer. I don't think we need a pass-first point guard like Andre Miller, but it would be nice to have a good passer. His defense also is nothing to write home about. Like everyone else, I was hoping that he would be more effective in these Summer League games, but all-in-all I am not too worried about him right now.

JC - He does not make nearly as many mistakes as JWill, but that is largely because he is not as aggressive. I forgot he was out there from time to time. He also can create good shots for himself (especially with his crossover) and is a little bit better passer than JWill. Like many of the Bulls' perimeter players, he struggles fighting through screens. He still looks very thin and very young out there.

Mason - He looks like a solid pick who will not hurt the team when he is out there. But I think he will have to be able to hit the 3 consistently to stick with the Bulls for the long-term.

Hassell - He looks much bigger. His defense was not great against the Grizzlies, but right now, I think he is much better than Crawford, especially as a SG.

Richardson - He makes too many mistakes for my taste. I don't think he has a long-term future with the Bulls.

Baxter - What can you say about this guy? He looks really good in these Summer League games. He understands how to use his body and plays smart. He will get his shot blocked during the regular season, but he is exactly the kind of scrappy player that we need at the back-up PF position, exactly the kind of player that Fizer is not.

Chandler - He also looks a lot bigger. His offensive game is still limited, but what did we expect? With his additional size, I think he could be a very good defensive player as early as the end of this year, but he needs to do a much better job stepping out on pick-and-rolls. After seeing the game against the Grizzlies, I am not worried about Chandler at all. Like ScottMay said, he is no longer the lost puppy that he was last year at this time.

Curry - He has a nice offensive game, but I, like others, would like to see be much more aggressive. I think that dunking with two hands would be a good start. I worry about all of the foul calls he is getting turning him into a guy who won't use his weight to pound guys under the basket or punish them when they come to the hole. I fear that he will turn into a guy that plays much smaller than he is. But I do think he has a reasonable shot at being our second leading scorer this year.

Bagaric - I know that almost everyone has given up on this guy, but remember, every team hates their back-up centers with a passion. Most teams think their first-string centers are worthless. Long-term, he is going to be a third string center behind Curry and Chandler, and he is well suited to that role. He is big and takes up a lot of space. Even last night in his 4 minutes, he was a big presence on the defensive end. Wouldn't you love to have him around to give Shaq a couple of hard fouls when we play the Lakers? I could see Bags clobber Shaq across the face if he tried to bull him over. He would probably miss and Shaq would miss on the return, but it would be fun watching.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I didn't see much triangle going on in the Memphis game personally. They were going for the win. I believe the assistant coach even admitted as much.

Fred House has not been around the block as you call it. The guy came from the NBDL.

I didn't read your whole article just those couple of lines actually. I will read it more in depth later but that stuck out to me.

Also bagaric is worthless. Cut the guy now.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah BCH, I think I would call the offense the "Try to Get as Far Away from the Other Offensive Players and Then Wait for Your Turn to Go One on One" offense. Any resemblance to the Triangle was purely coincidental. But it looked to me that we were trying to run something like the Triangle. But I agree that Tex Winters would agree with you in "not seeing much Triangle."

But the main point was that our offense employed much less motion and screening (especially on the ball) than what Memphis was running. We got pretty good shots, but we didn't cause as many defensive breakdowns and the screens were causing for us on the other end.

And I think Freddie has been out a couple of years, and I think he picked up a lot of the "tricks of the trade" playing NBDL as well as probably 4 years of college ball, something a lot of our guys don't have.

And BCH, I know you would like to see Bags and Shaq go at it as much as I would. How many punches do you think it would take before one of them actually landed a punch?

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
House played 2 years JC and 2 years at a small school.

He was a rookie in NBDL last year.

He has 4 years of more than HS ball than the two kids but 1 year less NBA experience. I am not sure what tricks of the trade he will have learned but he is older and more experience mentally and emotionally for sure.

The Bulls ran a lot of motion against Memphis. Chandler was setting multiple screens for the guards on and off the ball. I am not sure what you would call that. Did they run a lot of high screen and roll and screen and pop? No because to be quite honest with you, they do not have the personel to do it.

I have zero desire to see any team carry a thug and no-talent like bagaric to start a fight with another player. I find no humor in it. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I think you were "mistaken" as to what he was saying?

Originally posted by BCH
House played 2 years JC and 2 years at a small school.

He was a rookie in NBDL last year.

He has 4 years of more than HS ball than the two kids but 1 year less NBA experience. I am not sure what tricks of the trade he will have learned but he is older and more experience mentally and emotionally for sure.

The Bulls ran a lot of motion against Memphis. Chandler was setting multiple screens for the guards on and off the ball. I am not sure what you would call that. Did they run a lot of high screen and roll and screen and pop? No because to be quite honest with you, they do not have the personel to do it.

I have zero desire to see any team carry a thug and no-talent like bagaric to start a fight with another player. I find no humor in it. Sorry.
I kinda thought Jwill's tenacious defense early in the game caused a couple turnovers.....he will get better with exposure. Wasn't it HE who jumped to the floor, grabbed the ball and shuffled it to baxter for the lay in?

There was SO MUCH movement, and not necessarily good movement going on, that I found it difficult to see any "flow" to the offense.

As I posted somewhere before last night was nothing more than a chinese fire drill...Bags - as long as he is not taking up a spot that we were in desperate need of taking another player with, I would prefer to keep bags for just that reason NCBullsfan. Not to pick a fight with another player, but as Phil utililized against shaq himself, the three headed monster routine with a total of 18 fouls to his six. Sure IF he makes his freethrows, and thats a BIG if, it hurts. More than likely he will not make over 50% with his goofy azzed eyes! LOL Sure shaq has improved, but I still say if you stay within arms distance from the basket and never get called for three seconds you WILL have a very high fg %. Unless SOMEONE in the Bulls organization sees something myself and certainly others posting here do not, I would cut him yesterday! LOL IF we have space for him..keep em...ya never know. one of those "shoulder" fouls he put on that one guy under the basket made ME wanna get up off the couch and beat his big dumbazz!! It was fun seeing the guys again tho...I look forward to the Bulls training camp, pre season and ultimately NBA 2002-03~~~:grinning:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts