Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This report is in Portuguese. But here is the roughly Google aided translation. If someone else wants to do better please do.
On the wall of the Gymnasium Helium Mauritius, the headquarters of Flamengo in Rio de Janeiro, the photo of the wing-guard Leandro Barbosa wearing the shirt of the club has not yet been withdrawn. But that does not mean that the player, who has trained in Crimson-Black while on vacation in Brazil, is back on the team that defended last year during the NBA strike. He follows in negotiations with league franchises and agrees to receive the minimum wage to play in the almighty Los Angeles Lakers.

- The negotiation is still hot. The Nash (Steve, Canadian owner) even sent me a message telling me to go. I said I was just connect to my agents. During the London Olympics, it was even hotter and I got to talk with Kobe (Bryant). Now, for me to go, the Lakers need to dispose of a shipowner (terrible translation im sure). To play there, or a good team, it's worth hitting the minimum wage - Leandrinho said.

Currently, the Lakers account in your squad with four players for the positions of guard and wing-guard. This hampers the recruitment of the Brazilian. Because of this, Arthur's brother Leandro, seeking other options. Phoenix Suns franchise advocated by wing-armardor between 2003 and 2010, and Brooklyn Nets (former New Jersey Nets) have an interest in the athlete.

Voted the best reserves in the season 2006/2007, Barbosa said he was not bothered by the delay in hitting with a new team. Last season, he defended Toronto Raptors and Indiana Pacers and is now seeking new option. Acknowledging that may be being "cooked" by franchises to receive as little as possible, the player admits that, if hit, will receive less than last season. And if you do not hit, his desire is to return to Brazil.

- I do not have a set day to hit. This can even happen with the season already underway (begins on November 1). These negotiations are consuming it. The guys think they'll ask for my money very historic and even gets a little afraid of coming up with a proposed low. As this is a business, do what they can to lower values. And do not think about money today, I think of being champion. Should not be in the NBA, I return to Brazil. It would be important to stay close to family - said Barbosa, who is married to actress Samara Felippo and has a daughter, Alicia, 3 years.

If hit with the Lakers, Leandro Barbosa will play a team full of stars. Besides Nash's friend, with whom he served in the Suns, he will have as companions Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol.

Training at Flamengo

While not decide his future in the NBA, Leandrinho maintains form in Flamengo team that defended between September and December last year during a strike in the league. At that time, the wing-guard participated in the campaign Crimson-Black winning the heptacampeonato State, played the first phase of the South American League and the first rounds of the NBB.

- I received a great affection in such a short time at the club. I will never forget and I hope to return one day. Flamengo is a very good house, fun to spend time and train. I know several players here - said the player, glad to see your photo with the shirt on the wall of 28 remains Gym Helium Mauritius.

Leandrinho not said whether there is interest Flamengo in his residence. According to the athlete, the club set up a group to be champion. But for now, his priority is to resolve your situation in the NBA. According to the director of basketball Crimson-Black, Arnaldo Szpiro, there is no possibility of contracting the wing-guard at the time.
http://www.lancenet.com.br/minuto/Leandrinho-aceita-salario-NBA-Lakers_0_772122909.html

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Would be a very soild addition.

He can be a bit of a chucker, but he brings a lot of offense with him.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Wouldn't mind him. Rumors are that we are shopping Duhon and Blake. Wouldn't mind us picking up Barbosa for the minimum. He played well during the Olympics and he can play both guard positions too.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Yeah, I have been very underwhelmed witht he guard play other than Nash. I think Barbosa would be a fine addition. The question is, how do we dump Duhon or Blake? Do you think the Lakers are willing to just waive these guys? The payroll is so high already, Im sure that the Busses cant be thrilled with adding even more.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
as a point guard? sure he can - they'd be better off finding someone else who can do that off the bench if they're going to add someone but with all the guaranteed contracts they have already I find this rumor highly suspect

·
12,586 Posts
Was reading that Barbosa actually posted a higher PER playing PG than he did playing SG FWIW. Obviously PER isnt the end all be all.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
He's obviously an upgrade over Duhon and Blake no matter how much you might dislike his game.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Was reading that Barbosa actually posted a higher PER playing PG than he did playing SG FWIW. Obviously PER isnt the end all be all.
in one of his highest PER seasons he averaged 18% ast% but that's kind of deceptive because he also shot lights out from behind the arc that year so his PER was more impacted by high EFG% than assists (and he only averaged 4 apg in 32 mpg that year which was his highest ever apg)

In general I'd say there's a difference between saying he played in the PG slot and he played like a PG - he is much more likely to terminate possessions with a shot than a dish

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
He's obviously an upgrade over Duhon and Blake no matter how much you might dislike his game.
he is an upgrade but not as much of one as you seem to think and not necessarily in a way they need upgrading and at what cost? they already have 13 or 14 guaranteed contracts to fill 15 roster slots - who doesnt make the team? if they only have one roster spot and it is either barbosa or sacre I would definitely have second thoughts going into this season with both Howard and Hill dealing with back issues given their current roster

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Bad signing if true. Does LA really need a high usage player off the bench? Especially with their new offense, this signing just seems counterproductive. Meeks and Goudelock are there to jack up 3's, and Duhon/Blake have better PG skills and defense than Barbosa. Barbosa was absolutely torched by a banged up D-Wade in the playoffs. The Pacers bought into him because they thought they could use a guard off the bench who could get into the lane. He worked some games, and others, he was just atrocious. Does LA really need that?

·
12,586 Posts
We need scoring in the back court. Someone who can create their own shot. Goudelock can't really create his own offense and hes undersized at the 2. Meeks can to an extent but he still more of a spot up shooter. What I like about Barbosa is that he can syphon a few minutes at the PG slot if Blake or Nash are in foul trouble or we can play him as Kobe's main backup. He can also play at the two with Nash at the point while Kobe slides to the SF slot if necessary. I still say we should keep one of Blake or Duhon though. Don't want to see Morris get any minutes right now. Sacre at this point has to make the team though. Don't know if this injury to Hill will flare up again later requiring surgery.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
they do need to improve offensively off the bench but Barbosa is kind of an inefficient chucker and not much else at this point in his career - I still think what they really could use is someone off the bench to run the offense and get the other players involved

·
12,586 Posts
@WojYahooNBA: Free agent guard Leandro Barbosa has reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Boston Celtics, league sources tell Yahoo! Sports.
Welp... I didn't want him anyways...

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
like he was with the pacers? I think we're fine with Meeks as our back-up 2
The Pacers had Collison and Hill exchanging as the backup guard when Barbosa was on the team.

You compare that to Meeks? Barbosa is such a better player that I don't even know where to begin explaining.

I mean please. At least try to have some semblance of understanding next time you try to blast a team.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts