Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems as though Michael Carter-Williams' name is going to continue to be synonymous with trade rumors. First rumored to possibly be traded before the 2014 NBA Draft, his name once again came up Wednesday during Chad Ford's weekly chat on ESPN.com.

From Ford:

I've heard a lot of rumblings from GMs that Carter-Williams is available. There are some in ownership and in the front office, though not all, that don't see him as a long-term piece of the puzzle. There was a lot of chatter that direction before the draft and in the past few weeks I know several teams have had exploratory discussions with the Sixers. I think the challenge right now is that the Sixers will want a lot in return and MCW's play, to date this season, hasn't warranted multiple first round picks for him. That makes him tough to deal.

While Carter-Williams may indeed be "available" for trade, by no means does that mean the Sixers are actively seeking to move him. If a Jehovah's Witness shows up at my door and starts preaching to me, that doesn't mean I'm looking to convert. I'm just listening to what they have to offer before kindly asking them to get off my porch. The Sixers are not looking to trade away the better pieces of their young team, like Carter-Williams and Nerlens Noel, but every player on this team has a price. If a team is willing to pay a premium, Sam Hinkie and the front office should be willing to hear what they have to offer. Nobody on this team is worth keeping off limits, although moving a piece of the core has a real chance of damaging the team's chemistry.

However, the most important part of what Ford had to say is not that Philadelphia is keeping the phone lines open, but that members of the Sixers brain trust feel he may not be a long-term fit.

After a decent first season where he was named Rookie of the Year, the former Syracuse point guard has not played as well as he did last season. Despite no increase in minutes nor shots per game in 2014-15 -- they're essentially identical as last season -- his numbers are down almost across the board. He's shooting just 37.6% from the field, turning the ball over more, and getting to the line less then he did in 2013-14. With that said, it would be hard to give up on him, especially because the Sixers are finally putting some talent around him. Robert Covington has really opened the floor up, and he seems like he's starting to gel with his former AAU teammate, Nerlens Noel.
http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/1/14/7547755/report-michael-carter-williams-available-for-trade-sixers

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Seems like the Sixers have been trying to trade him for a while. Why is nobody biting?
Because I'm sure the 6'ers want this years first round draft pick from one of Boston, LA, New York or Minny.

This is getting depressing on the part of Philly. I hope MCDubs finishes out his rookie deal and refuses an extension.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Seems like the Sixers have been trying to trade him for a while. Why is nobody biting?
Similar to what R-star said, I read that Philly was asking for multiple first-round picks for him, which is just way too much in a point-heavy league unless they're willing to take a pair of pretty late firsts from a good playoff team (which I doubt).

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense. Last thing any of those teams need to do is give up first round picks, except maybe the Celtics who have a million first round picks.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
How many teams could he could start for really? Aside from Philly there's Miami, the Knicks and the Lakers. Don't know about Utah, him and Trey Burke are both pretty poor. Couple other teams you could argue about, but not a lot. The Heat are the only one of those teams who might be motivated to make a move and there isn't much they have to swap.

Basic problem is he's not that good and he's not that young either. He's going to need to improve a lot before anyone is going to give up assets to get him.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Makes sense. Last thing any of those teams need to do is give up first round picks, except maybe the Celtics who have a million first round picks.
If I'm the Pacers I'm offering up this years first and a middling player. But Philly is so delusional that they think that's about half of what it should take to get Williams.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
How many teams could he could start for really? Aside from Philly there's Miami, the Knicks and the Lakers. Don't know about Utah, him and Trey Burke are both pretty poor. Couple other teams you could argue about, but not a lot.

Basic problem is he's not that good and he's not that young either.
He could easily slide to the 2 guard as well. There's plenty of teams that could use him as a starter, and if not, super sub off the bench.

Problem is no one knows what his production will look like when he isn't blatantly being showcased by Philly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts