Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go to Yahoo! Sports.

Report: O'Brien resigns as Celtics' head coach

Jim O'Brien has reportedly resigned as head coach of the Boston Celtics. According to sources, O'Brien's decision came after a major argument over personnel and playing time issues with director of basketball operations Danny Ainge. Assistant coach John Carroll is expected to take over as interim head coach.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Good find. Interesting news definitely.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stupid link.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!
RICKY DAVIS STRIKES AGAIN!
No, Walter McCarty strikes (but not again). Ricky has been a model citizen in Boston. Whether or not that continues remains to be seen.

When you play a complete stiff like McCarty 46 minutes a game, you better call a broker and list your house.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
How can you call O'Brien a good coach? Whenever I watch a Celtics game I am appaled at how many threes the team jacks up. The Celtics as an organization are in complete dissaray. I don't know what Danny Ainge's plan is, but this may have been the first good move he's made.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Wow. Who is the most tenured coach in the atlantic division now?? It's like a revolving door for those teams.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sovereignz</b>!
Wow. Who is the most tenured coach in the atlantic division now?? It's like a revolving door for those teams.
Off the top of my head, amazingly enough, I believe it is Eddie Jordan in Washington. Maybe it is Ayers in Philly -- either way, every coach in the Atlantic is on their first year.

·
Registered
425 Posts
he made that team had a really bad losing record into one with an above 50 percent winning record for 2 years strait....... this year he couldnt cuz the idiot danny ainge came into town...... the next to leave the celtics: paul pierce

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
In two weeks no one will care about Jim O'Brien or Byron Scott. Neither one is a HOF coaching candidate.

I said at the beginning of the year: run or die. They didn't run, O'Brien died.

Yes, O'Brien resigned, but if you listened to the press conference, Ainge didn't wait too long before accepting his resignation.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sovereignz</b>!
SC said it was Terry Stotts (Atlanta)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Boston radio's take on this is that Danny Ainge re-upped O'Briens contract to make him the scape goat.
Knowing that Ainge wanted to tank the first year they re-hired O'Brien to take the fall.
It makes perfect sense and it worked because Celtics fans were blaming Jim O'Brien from the start of this season and not blaming the man who put this pathetic team together.
The running game didn't end because of O'Brien it ended because Pierce wouldn't run. The whole team would be up the court and Paul would be walking behind. Jim tried Danny's sceam and when it didn't work he went back to throwing up the 3.
I don't get what people expected Jim O'Brien to do with these stiffs DANNY AINGE put on the court by DANNY AINGE.
Jim got out before he could be blamed.
Like I said in another thread. NO ONE walks away from 7 million dollars for nothing.
Ainge says they have been disagreeing all year long and that he was willing to work through there differences but Jim was not.
Those are DANNY AINGE'S words off of 1510 the zone.

A big fight happened today (according to Boston news. All 5 stations) and Jim resigned.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Jim did a good job

He was a big step up from Pitino in terms of knowing how to coach pros and respect people.

Jim turned the C's into a playoff team.

Love ya Jim, but it is time to try to move to the next level.

O'Brien has been criticized and rightly so for not developing young talent. Now with Danny Ainge slowly trading off O'Brien guys (Walker, Battie, Williams, Delk, Bremer) something had to give. Obie was stubborn. "If you are only leaving me with a few of my guys then I'll play them the entire game."

Danny's three draft picks have become bright spots on a team that is very average. The Boston fans want more of them and Danny has just made that happen.

Bring on the younguns even if it means we are back in the lottery.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts