Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
2081 - 2100 of 2138 Posts

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,053 Posts
Once UAB and Southern Miss leave, not a single founding member of CUSA will remain. At least we have UMass and GW (and Duquesne for all but one year).
Hey, man… count the Bonnies! For “The Atlantic 10 Conference”, SBU has been a member throughout. It was briefly not in the Eastern 8 early on.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hey, man… count the Bonnies! For “The Atlantic 10 Conference”, SBU has been a member throughout. It was briefly not in the Eastern 8 early on.
In that case, you could say the same for SJU & URI who have been in the conference the entire time it has been called the Atlantic 10 (SJU's entry along with Temple and Penn State precipitated the name change to the Atlantic 10)..

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I realize football drives the bus and that the P5 own it, but for the non passengers is the move from FCS to FBS a net economic gain? There have to be attendant expenses associated with the move: facilities, staff, salaries, travel, recruiting budget, Title IX state budget constraints etc. On the other side, parents not allowing their sons to play over concerns about short and long term medical issues; high schools eliminating or having to consolidate with another school to field a team; expenses including insurance, a more diverse population whose athletic interest(s) are other than football. A number of schools are after the gold at the end of the rainbow, but for me looking in from the outside its akin the hamster in that little cage going round and round but not getting anywhere.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
FCS football is a money losing enterprise. FBS football (for most) is also a money losing enterprise. It just typically works out that you lose less money on average with an FBS program than you do with an FCS program.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
FCS football is a money losing enterprise. FBS football (for most) is also a money losing enterprise. It just typically works out that you lose less money on average with an FBS program than you do with an FCS program.
100%

When I lived in Dayton, I heard that the Dayton AD tried to blackmail the University President regarding football. He said that football loses $2 million a year, so not having football would let him have $2 million more in his budget, but because 1/4 of all athletics grads are football alums, the booster donations to the university and athletics would plummet. So how about you give me $1 million a year in subsidy and I won't drop football. Prez said Nice Try.

I think that in the long run, not having football would be GREAT for Dayton, Davidson, Duquesne, Fordham, Richmond, etc. The problem is that it takes 40 years for the pain of dropping it to wear off. Evansville and Pacific still suck as an athletic department because all their boosters say is "we should bring back football."

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I have zero animosity towards UMass and their need for FBS. And quite honestly, I feel like URI should join that train. They're the flagship of their state, and why not try it?

I'm very much of the opinion that football is way more expensive and pointless than it is worth, and am quite cool with A-10 being basketball first and only. I think Richmond, Dayton and Duquesne should have dropped football 40 years ago.

But given the (very stupid) reality that football drives the bus, I really don't understand Marshall, Old Dominion joining the Sun Belt. There were rumors we talked about for a year of a C-USA split with ODU, Marshall, Charlotte, UAB, MTSU, WKU and one other forming their own league to ditch the shitty basketball/football teams in Rice, UTSA, UTEP, FAU, FIU, So Miss...

UTSA and UTEP are having good football seasons this year, but So Miss is both bad at sports and in a small market;
If five members of C-USA wanted to split, then the AAC did them a huge favor by taking Rice, Charlotte and FAU.

I cannot for the life of me comprehend why Marshall and ODU joined the Sun Belt EXCEPT for the fact that ESPN is really running college sports. If not for ESPN, that is a stupid move.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I have zero animosity towards UMass and their need for FBS. And quite honestly, I feel like URI should join that train. They're the flagship of their state, and why not try it?

I'm very much of the opinion that football is way more expensive and pointless than it is worth, and am quite cool with A-10 being basketball first and only. I think Richmond, Dayton and Duquesne should have dropped football 40 years ago.

But given the (very stupid) reality that football drives the bus, I really don't understand Marshall, Old Dominion joining the Sun Belt. There were rumors we talked about for a year of a C-USA split with ODU, Marshall, Charlotte, UAB, MTSU, WKU and one other forming their own league to ditch the shitty basketball/football teams in Rice, UTSA, UTEP, FAU, FIU, So Miss...

UTSA and UTEP are having good football seasons this year, but So Miss is both bad at sports and in a small market;
If five members of C-USA wanted to split, then the AAC did them a huge favor by taking Rice, Charlotte and FAU.

I cannot for the life of me comprehend why Marshall and ODU joined the Sun Belt EXCEPT for the fact that ESPN is really running college sports. If not for ESPN, that is a stupid move.
I think Dayton has narrowed the football deficit to $1 million or even less so it’s not taking anything away from MBB/WBB or for the rest of the athletic programs for that matter. There is enough interest in the program at its current level that it makes sense. Personally I think UD should look at upgrading facilities because Welcome Stadium is a POS. A smaller venue closer to the main campus with more amenities would create a nice “game day” experience. People in Ohio like football.

The bottom line is UD Football isn’t going to be anymore than what it is today

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
MTSU is staying in CUSA, WKU still wants to go to the MAC.

Wonder if this would result in a harder press on UMass to shit or get off the pot.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Supposedly WKU is staying, too.

UMass to MAC? Would you want that as a UMass fan?
MAC has confirmed they're not doing any expansion at this point.

As a UMass fan who hasn't seen any basketball success since his childhood, who is a fan of multiple sports at UMass, I think a look to do all-sports there would be worth it. Basketball won't be as good, that's for sure, but there hasn't been any real benefit to us being in the A10 for basketball reasons.

It would be a big benefit to one of our biggest programs. It wouldn't impact some of our other most popular/big programs (Hockey would stay in Hockey East, Lacrosse would stay in the CAA). We'd lose our historic rivalries from the A10 for sure, and that would be missed.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,053 Posts
A10 membership in hoops isn’t about what UMass currently is, but what it could be. The infrastructural pieces are in place for the program to thrive. Just stop hiring quick fix snake oil salesmen as coaches and pursue a true program builder.

You’d give that up in the MAC to play mediocre—at best—football?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
A10 membership in hoops isn’t about what UMass currently is, but what it could be. The infrastructural pieces are in place for the program to thrive. Just stop hiring quick fix snake oil salesmen as coaches and pursue a true program builder.

You’d give that up in the MAC to play mediocre—at best—football?
I mean we had Travis Ford, who decided to leave after just 3 years. We also had Pat Kelsey, who decided to leave before he even started.

The only coach we've had success with in most of our lifetimes is Coach Cal. We're approaching 30 years ago at this point.

This isn't about putting football where it can be the most mediocre. This is about finally giving football an actual chance to do something other than jack shit. Regardless of what the administration says, they're not giving it a fair shake. I mean we need to remember that UMass has been playing football since 1879, before the game of basketball was even invented.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Any good young coach that any of us get who has success is going to leave with 3-5 years, 6-8 max. Shaka was discerning about his offers and left after 7. Hurley was gone pretty quick. Maybe a late-blooming, blue-collar guys like Schmidt, Martelli might stick around longer with acceptable results. Or you get a guy like that after he shoots his shot, like Majerus at SLU.

But this league isn't getting a Mark Few kind of young promoted assistant who decides to stay at a remote outpost of basketball glory. (Insert joke about the closest thing we're getting to Mark Few is the actual Mark Few if he gets a few more DUIs first)

2081 - 2100 of 2138 Posts