Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
2101 - 2120 of 2138 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Any good young coach that any of us get who has success is going to leave with 3-5 years, 6-8 max. Shaka was discerning about his offers and left after 7. Hurley was gone pretty quick. Maybe a late-blooming, blue-collar guys like Schmidt, Martelli might stick around longer with acceptable results. Or you get a guy like that after he shoots his shot, like Majerus at SLU.

But this league isn't getting a Mark Few kind of young promoted assistant who decides to stay at a remote outpost of basketball glory. (Insert joke about the closest thing we're getting to Mark Few is the actual Mark Few if he gets a few more DUIs first)
Grant (once at VCU) and Ford (once at UMass) are guys who rediscovered success upon returning to the A10 from the P5 (yes, I know, VCU was in the CAA when Grant coached there but you get my point). Usually, these one-time coaching rising stars continue their descent after they flame out at the P5 level. Dayton and SLU probably won't have to worry about either of them getting poached away anytime toon.

But yes, the A10 is a stepping stone for the coaching rising stars.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Grant (once at VCU) and Ford (once at UMass) are guys who rediscovered success upon returning to the A10 from the P5 (yes, I know, VCU was in the CAA when Grant coached there but you get my point). Usually, these one-time coaching rising stars continue their descent after they flame out at the P5 level. Dayton and SLU probably won't have to worry about either of them getting poached away anytime toon.

But yes, the A10 is a stepping stone for the coaching rising stars.
There is some mild concern with The Faithful that Grant would be receptive to overtures from Miami when/if Larranaga leaves. It’s his hometown so I guess he could be interested. The thing about Ford and Grant is that they were fired at the P5 level but are making P5 money ($2 million+) in the A10. Money isn’t necessarily the incentive for these guys.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Niagara and or Canisius should give me A10 a look. Buffalo is at least a smaller major market.

Hoopjones.net
Nah, that's the Bonnies real market.

We bring Buffalo and Rochester. Western New York has as many TV viewers as the St. Louis metro area. And the Bonnies fans are watching on TV because so few people actually live near campus.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here is an article on the NCAA restructuring. If you don’t think DI basketball is getting smaller you are not paying attention. It’s a matter of when and how many teams are let in, not if.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
MAC has confirmed they're not doing any expansion at this point.

As a UMass fan who hasn't seen any basketball success since his childhood, who is a fan of multiple sports at UMass, I think a look to do all-sports there would be worth it. Basketball won't be as good, that's for sure, but there hasn't been any real benefit to us being in the A10 for basketball reasons.

It would be a big benefit to one of our biggest programs. It wouldn't impact some of our other most popular/big programs (Hockey would stay in Hockey East, Lacrosse would stay in the CAA). We'd lose our historic rivalries from the A10 for sure, and that would be missed.
Think die heart basketball fans would be upset and the administration is still trying to shop a Football only deal with CUSA among others and CUSA is the only conference in dire straits to at least not say no.

Football fans would go to the MAC in a heartbeat. MAC women's basketball and most sports are equal or better than the A10 except men's basketball.

As we have not seen a lot of success except for the Cal years and Bruiser to some extent. Don't remember UMass winning an A10 tournament except for the Cal era as e-parade said not much recent men's bb success. The A10 is a very good DEEP league. The MAC is not as deep as the A10 but has at least won games in the field of 64 and think we could rise to the top. Something I'm watch since believe 2017 was the last good year by that measure and 2018 was the last year of 3 bids for the A10.

We'll have to see what happens with CUSA expansion and to get to 10. Before MTSU backed out, heard a rumor that UConn and UMass as a football only package was looking good. Think nothing happens in the near future but do have concerns that Sam Houston will not make the move leaving CUSA at 8 teams. Ten teams is a better number and the CFP pays each conference 1 Million for each team up to 10 teams. They also give 300k per team for APR and if the team does not earn the APR score it still goes to the conference. NCAA credits is 2M with 30% going to teams earning it for 2 years and not the 75% for 6 years as the A10.

Noting the MAC receives close to 2.5 Million per team with a 10M media contract and CFP money 10M for the first 10 teams, 3.6M APR (300k per team), about 3M in the G5 performance pool plus some bowl money. UMass has not earned a NCAA bid in 6 years so our payout from the A10 is almost 1M with the cut of 5M media deal that has been extended. The MAC is the only conference that has a reasonable geography and makes financial sense. We'll loss 4 close team and would miss URI and Fordham is also close, plus the 2 for now Philly Universities.

What are people hearing about LaSalle and Loyola - Chicago the back fill?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
What are people hearing about LaSalle and Loyola - Chicago the back fill?
I'm like 99% sure nothing is going to change with LaSalle regarding athletics and the A-10. Schools commission studies all the time, usually for the benefit of clueless administrators so they can understand the reality of their new job.

I remember Tulane commissioned a study on athletics for their new President, and if they should be D-I, D-II, D-III or drop athletics all together... word got out and people freaked the hell out. The President read the report and increased the athletics budget, because it told him athletics was important.

LaSalle isn't leaving the A-10 because that would be very stupid for LaSalle University.

A lot of people made way too much about the A-10 adding a 15th member out of the blue to mean someone was leaving. Maybe because we added Charlotte, Saint Louis, Butler and VCU during the time when everyone was expecting the Big East split.

Loyola is a very good basketball school in a city where the Big East has a team. They're one of us. We added Loyola because Loyola wanted in, and the football moves made everyone thing about realignment; and upon consideration, having 15 schools isn't a problem at all for men's and women's basketball or women's soccer. It was a no-brainer.

·
Registered
600 Posts
UMass? LOLwut?

The MAAC hasn't sponsored football in 15 years, and it was non-scholarship FCS. And it would be a massive step down in hoops and all other sports.

Fordham might be wise to consider stepping down, but I don't think they would. They haven't been very competitive in men's hoops in the A-10, but other sports have been solid.

·
Registered
373 Posts
UMass? LOLwut?

The MAAC hasn't sponsored football in 15 years, and it was non-scholarship FCS. And it would be a massive step down in hoops and all other sports.

Fordham might be wise to consider stepping down, but I don't think they would. They haven't been very competitive in men's hoops in the A-10, but other sports have been solid.
Just checking in because I typically appreciate the takes you guys have on re-alignment and saw this. The MAAC would not be a good fit for Fordham, in my opinion. I think they are better suited for either the CAA or the Patriot League, if they were to leave the A-10. And having read their board many times in the past, it appears Fordham alumni would rather suffer in the A-10 than compete in a "lesser" league, so it is what it is. To their credit they are always holding out hope that they will turn it around. And maybe they will at some point.

Would be happy to have LaSalle in the MAAC, btw. That Speedy Morris LaSalle team might have been the greatest MAAC team ever. Right up there with the '84 Gaels.

Also: Not here to advocate for the Gaels. I have no idea whether Iona's current situation would make the A-10 a viable option going forward.

·
Piker
10,823 Posts
UMass? LOLwut?

Thanks. I had the Mid-American Conference in mind.

Reactions: SFspidur

·
Piker
10,823 Posts
That’s what I thought.
Like when I would read the CAA Tournament as the NCAA Tournament…
I get mixed up from time to time. I mean with the addition of Loyola-Chicago Bernie seems like she is being proactive. I would think UMass has to be thinking of finding a football home because being independent cannot be sustainable for that program. Due to that they came to mind and I got off track. Also, the MAAC might also be looking at some A10 programs. Who knows? The above poster mentioned Iona. Heck, if they do not get the MAAC in order they might be looking for a new home.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
If teams for whatever reason decide to leave, the A10 should celebrate, and not because any particular team is leaving. The conference really should be at 11 or 12 members. I can’t believe that the admin at UD would be enthusiastic about inviting a MAAC or Colonial team to replace a departing member. I suspect that the admin at SLU would not be either.

2101 - 2120 of 2138 Posts