Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
2321 - 2340 of 2360 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
And Jaf wins post of the day with actual contract numbers put into the context of P12 losing USC and UCLA.
Here are some more numbers Rich. I have no idea if these projections are valid, but the SEC and B10 are projected to distribute around $50 million more annually than the PAC12.

These were done before USC and UCLA bolted so common sense says that the new PAC12 contracts coming up will be less. The Big12 now has the upper hand over the PAC12, and by adding Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Washington and Oregon it is carving out the PAC12’s remaining good TV markets. The question is whether it can improve the current contracts, and pull enough of the PAC10’s revenue so that adding new members would not be dilutive to the current distributions to members.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Do you mean the ACC and the Pac 12? Can't see the ESPN+ article, but it doesn't seem like the Big East would merge with the ACC remainders.
Also, SEC eyeing Virginia and not NC State?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Do you mean the ACC and the Pac 12? Can't see the ESPN+ article, but it doesn't seem like the Big East would merge with the ACC remainders.
Also, SEC eyeing Virginia and not NC State?
Virginia is a state flagship from a relatively large state. If North Carolina is willing to come without NC State, why bring both?

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,396 Posts
This sucks. Having said that, I’m surprised the Big 10 isn’t trying to lock in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast with Virginia and North Carolina (and possibly Duke). The academics line up, and it would also link the coast from Jersey to Pennsy to Maryland to Virginia to North Carolina.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Virginia is a state flagship from a relatively large state. If North Carolina is willing to come without NC State, why bring both?
Just a personal preference. Living down here, many of the states have both big schools in the SEC.
Alabama/Auburn, Miss/Miss St, Tenn/Vandy.
Soon it'll be Tex/Tex A&M.
Would like to see Fl State with Fl, Clemson with SC, UNC with NC State

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
This sucks. Having said that, I’m surprised the Big 10 isn’t trying to lock in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast with Virginia and North Carolina (and possibly Duke). The academics line up, and it would also link the coast from Jersey to Pennsy to Maryland to Virginia to North Carolina.
I think that Virginia and NC are better fits with the B10, but read that if ESPN reworked the TV contract with the ACC that would enable schools to leave without giving up GOR. I suspect that ESPN is working hard to keep the ACC schools in its inventory and since it’s tied big time to the SEC, I bet there are simultaneous negotiations. Similar to FOX being privy to the USC/UCLA move since they own part of the B10 Network.

·
Super Moderator
6,608 Posts
Here are some more numbers Rich. I have no idea if these projections are valid, but the SEC and B10 are projected to distribute around $50 million more annually than the PAC12.

These were done before USC and UCLA bolted so common sense says that the new PAC12 contracts coming up will be less. The Big12 now has the upper hand over the PAC12, and by adding Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Washington and Oregon it is carving out the PAC12’s remaining good TV markets. The question is whether it can improve the current contracts, and pull enough of the PAC10’s revenue so that adding new members would not be dilutive to the current distributions to members.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Yeah, ESPN wants to pay 18-20 schools to have Oregon, Colorado and Arizona...

The Big 12 is tiny markets, the Pac-12 is 8 big markets and Oregon St/Washington St.

The Pac-12 is gonna win. The Pac-16 destroys the Big-18 in households. Don't let the "recency bias" of the Pac-12 being raided by the Big Ten get you twisted. A year ago, the Big 12 was breaking up with their schools joining the AAC/MWC (scoffing laughter), but now the Pac-10 is ditching the 20 million TV viewers in Northern California to join the Big 12?

Major League Baseball vetoed the sale of the Giants to a Tampa owner because leaving the Bay Area as a one-market team was financial suicide. But the Pac-10 teams are leaving MOTHER FUCKING STANFORD? Yeah right.

2321 - 2340 of 2360 Posts