Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
2341 - 2360 of 2360 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
I’ve seen reports that Notre Dame and NBC are negotiating their tv deal in conjunction with the B10. The Idea is in exchange for ND joining the conference NBC parters with the B10. Dan Patrick also talked about it today. They would also add more schools. Within 2 years there will be 2 maybe three super football conferences. Think NFL on Saturdays.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
A long time ago I favored 4 16 team conferences. Didn't happen.
Maybe we'll end up with B10, SEC and Pac12/Big12 combo.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I’ve seen reports that Notre Dame and NBC are negotiating their tv deal in conjunction with the B10. The Idea is in exchange for ND joining the conference NBC parters with the B10. Dan Patrick also talked about it today. They would also add more schools. Within 2 years there will be 2 maybe three super football conferences. Think NFL on Saturdays.
I read that NBC wanted a B10 match to go back to back with its ND game but with the B10 getting the prime time slot. Like you said, same time slot as Sunday Night Football.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,396 Posts
One of the worst things that happened to college sports was the legal ruling that allowed individual conferences to negotiate their own media rights deals—as opposed to a single governing body (the NCAA).

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,396 Posts
I’ll be stunned if the Big Ten doesn’t further expand out west. There’s no way USC and UCLA agreed to make this jump without assurances that there would be more regional opponents for non-revenue sports. Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Washington make the most sense.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I’ll be stunned if the Big Ten doesn’t further expand out west. There’s no way USC and UCLA agreed to make this jump without assurances that there would be more regional opponents for non-revenue sports. Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Washington make the most sense.
You would think so. It makes sense from an institutional standpoint, but I think the B10 is waiting for the next expansion move and the hope that ND decides to join.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If ND can get $75M out of NBC just for their home schedule -- and NBC actually seems amenable to this -- I don't think ND goes to the Big10. On a per game basis it will be the most lucrative contract ever, but it will depend largely on NBC getting a BIG10 contract for other games likely in the 8pm time slot since ND plays mostly at 330pm. It appears NBC has all but negotiated this programming already which would help them pay for a renegotiated ND. To me this also tips ND's hand a bit.

NBC does not want to lose ND because if they do but get Big10 games and ND is in the Big10, then they effectively lose that 330pm time slot. They want both but to have both they need ND to remain independent. A Notre Dame Big10 membership means NBC has only one Saturday football game which will be even worse than what they have now because their contract will likely be for the 2nd best Big10 football game after CBS/Big10 Network get first choice. So NBC is going to get PSU vs Wisconsin or Michigan State vs Iowa, not OSU vs Michigan or Penn State vs USC.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nick Saban this morning: there will be 2-3 super conferences for football.

In my opinion, ND has no choice but to join one of them. They will be in the B10.

Also SEC commissioner this morning: we have to take a fresh look at the NCAA tournament.

2341 - 2360 of 2360 Posts