Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

281 - 300 of 1405 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I know the current TV money is much better in the Big East, but Dayton has surely gone to another level in the A10 since X and Temple departed. From a "get to the dance" standpoint, the Flyers are in a pretty damn good spot where they are.
I agree 100%. The school as an institution has grown in size, mission and academically since being invited to the A10. The affiliation with the A10 has not hurt UD in any way.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I hate the offseason. This is almost as bad as the Bona board bringing up football every summer or complaining about a row of chairs...almost as bad.
Especially when X fans flock here. Maybe the BE is the better conference, we clearly have the most valuable message board.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lol, Flyer75, you actually seem like a good guy. Someone I could joke with about basketball or politics or whatever.

It's interesting though, and just consciously pay attention to this - probably 2/3 of your posts on here somehow have to involve Xavier. Not in a good or bad way, but just somehow involve Xavier.

For example, in the one thread talking about VCU's contract enhancements with Will Wade and someone on here was giving VCU fans crap about spending more money on better buy games...... you tried justifying it with what Xavier's OOC schedule was 2 years ago and then went on in great detail about Xavier's OOC opponents 2 years ago.

Like I said, not necessarily good or bad, just funny that whatever the topic is, probably 2/3 of your posts somehow spin in Xavier with it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Georgetown

No one suggested that they belong together.
Um, Ored suggested they belong together.

I think you might just gloss over some parts of posts, like the one where I had to call your attention to last night in which I showed a post that you said a very specific thing, and then another post where you denied you ever said that.... and when I pointed it out, you just totally ignored that part and went on a tangent about something else entirely.

Anyway, Villanova and Dayton are not peers.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Lol, Flyer75, you actually seem like a good guy. Someone I could joke with about basketball or politics or whatever.

It's interesting though, and just consciously pay attention to this - probably 2/3 of your posts on here somehow have to involve Xavier. Not in a good or bad way, but just somehow involve Xavier.

For example, in the one thread talking about VCU's contract enhancements with Will Wade and someone on here was giving VCU fans crap about spending more money on better buy games...... you tried justifying it with what Xavier's OOC schedule was 2 years ago and then went on in great detail about Xavier's OOC opponents 2 years ago.

Like I said, not necessarily good or bad, just funny that whatever the topic is, probably 2/3 of your posts somehow spin in Xavier with it.
Yes I did. I was talking to Paul ....a XAVIER fan.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Actually, you were responding to AlienAiden (actually quoted him in your response). Paul wasn't really even a part of the conversation regarding VCU's scheduling.

Like I said, no harm no foul, just kinda funny the Xavier thing with your posts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ored, kind of interesting about the article you posted....

Xavier's AD, who is actually in the business and knows it pretty well tweeted it was "simplistic" and "unrealistic"

And that's coming from an AD whose program was ranked the 26th most valuable in the nation, so he had no reason to downplay it.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Actually, you were responding to AlienAiden (actually quoted him in your response). Paul wasn't really even a part of the conversation regarding VCU's scheduling.

Like I said, no harm no foul, just kinda funny the Xavier thing with your posts.
Go back and read that conversation.

If I had responded directly to Paul I would have to explain it 5 times. He questioned getting UNI as a buy game. That's what my whole response was in reference too.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Um, Ored suggested they belong together.

I think you might just gloss over some parts of posts, like the one where I had to call your attention to last night in which I showed a post that you said a very specific thing, and then another post where you denied you ever said that.... and when I pointed it out, you just totally ignored that part and went on a tangent about something else entirely.

Anyway, Villanova and Dayton are not peers.
Umm ... You included a quote of mine where I commented that Xavier was blocking UD from the NBE solely because of basketball. Go back and read it over a couple of times. I am not glossing over anything. In the post where I originally said that, I also commented that UD was not at a competitive disadvantage to Xavier because Xavier was a member of the NBE. It's clear that this is what I posted. You chose to interpret this as I believe that The University of Dayton, not Xavier as I posted, was interested in the NBE because of basketball only. Again, it's clear this I did not post that at any time in this thread. Personally I do not know what Xavier's stance is regarding UD. I really don't care.

Go back and read my quote that you copied last night. It's says Xavier not the University of Dayton. Stop being an asshole. It's clear you are only posting to cause trouble,

UD and Villanova are closer to being peers than you want to believe. I understand that Villanova has stricter admissions requirements than UD, but the gap is not as wide as UD / Notre Dame or Georgetown. Again this is a fact. My daughter will be going to college in two years. I am not encouraging her to go to UD, Xavier or Villanova. It looks like she is heading to Ohio State. The school in the Big 10 where there is a true national brand and recognition of the academic standards of the member institutions. The NBE does not come close to bringing this despite the Xavier Kool Aid that you have been drinking.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yeah, I don't get that. Sorry, UD, but Villanova (maybe it can be argued in some ways) and Georgetown (nope, it can't be) are not really institutional peers.

DC, Philly, Dayton.

Hmmmmm
DC and Philly don't make the institution better. Have you ever been to South Bend, Indiana?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh I believe that there are many reasons why Xavier would not want UD in the NBE. I said that it was delusional to argue that that from an institutional standpoint UD is at a competitive disadvantage to Xavier because Xavier is a member of the NBE. The NBE schools do not have that persona. I also understand why UD as an institution would like to be in the NBE. I believe that I posted that twice. The NBE is a collection of private catholic schools that are more similarly aligned with Dayton in terms of scope and size.
UD is at an extreme disadvantage to all Big East schools, but especially to Xavier. UD a peer to St Bona and LaSalle while Xavier is a peer to Georgetown and Villanova. XU plays at MSG while Dayton plays at Duquesne.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Is there a "hide" feature?

There's an area that's just empty and meaningless, and it looks bad. So I'd like to put a dark curtain over Section200 so it doesn't ruin the ambiance of this board.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yea Ored, not a good article to try to make any point about.

Arkansas, South Florida, Penn State, Missouri, Auburn ...... most valuable men's basketball programs?

The numbers from the professor from IU-Purdue Columbus don't even make sense. Talking about revenue from men's basketball alone near $80M for schools like Xavier and Dayton. Hell, their entire athletic departments don't generate $80M in revenue.

Just a very odd article
I just read the article. You must be glossing over pertinent facts. The $80 million is a projected market value based on similar metrics relating sales of professional sports teams. It's a projected market value not annual revenues.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
UD is at an extreme disadvantage to all Big East schools, but especially to Xavier. UD a peer to St Bona and LaSalle while Xavier is a peer to Georgetown and Villanova. XU plays at MSG while Dayton plays at Duquesne.
It's great to hear from you again. 4 posts of no value in 7 minutes must be some kind of record.

EYOA!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Are we really arguing net worths and academic prestige on a basketball forum?

The only X vs Dayton argument that matters last happened in November.

281 - 300 of 1405 Posts