Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 1405 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
LA a stretch giving them the Ducks and Angels? SF Bay has 6-ish.

We're getting off track.
Off track? This is about realignment. There are 3 teams trying to realign to LA! :) Maybe the Knicks will join the A10 and replace Fordham? (Sorry, ace! :) )

Anaheim is 40-some miles from LA. (Simple google distance.)

MSG to Nassau Coliseum is almost 30-miles. (yes, yes, Isles moved to Brooklyn, but it still stands. :) )

Levi's to O.co is approximately 30-35 miles. Forgot about SF area.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm unclear on what the # of pro sports teams in NY/NJ has to do with the viability of FBS football in New England.
This is the BBF A10 forum. The "15 degrees to thread topic" place to be.

• UMass wants FBS
  • FBS football in New England
  • Pro Sports teams dominate fan interest in New England
  • Knicks to replace Fordham in A10
  • Galloway pushed off.
  • Galloway played for St Joes
It starts and ends in the A10. :)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
They might risk becoming the next Charlotte. Has anybody disappeared from the basketball landscape any quicker than Charlotte? I'd hate to see that happen to UMass.
Some would argue that Umass Basketball is disappearing as we speak.....

Greed has f-ed up the entire Northeast landscape for the college dollar.

It is slim pickings for "market share" and nobody is willing to take one step backwards in order to take many steps forward. BC jumped to the ACC and cock-blocked Uconn immediately, and UConn does the same to any suggestion that Umass become conference affiliated with them also knowing that (for right now) any UConn affiliated conference is about the only option for Umass to pursue.

Getting Uconn to play Umass almost takes an act of congress because Uconn has a lot to lose and nothing really to gain. UMass would be a threat and UConn wants nothing to do with helping Umass in that regard - so instead they play Western CT State and Quinnipiac who cannot even be able to scratch their arses. They would rather keep their foot on UMass' throat than allow them to rise "to their level" and create a fantastic rivalry that would grow fan interest quickly.

You will notice that UConn usually only schedules with Umass in Basketball or Football when it is a slam dunk in their favor. If Umass has even a small percentage chance of winning the games does not happen. Steve Lappas screwed up the basketball series when they pulled the upset back in 2003 (I think it was 2003). Uconn beat us up pretty good for 3 years, Umass won then suddenly the remaining two games of the series were a scheduling conflict for UConn and disappeared. They have not played (basketball) since and they are barely 40 miles apart.....

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I'm unclear on what the # of pro sports teams in NY/NJ has to do with the viability of FBS football in New England.
I would agree it's not as significant as the number of Boston teams already in NE. But, the NY pro market is a factor working against getting butts in the seats for this new, hypothetical, potential NE FBS program.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Some would argue that Umass Basketball is disappearing as we speak.....

Greed has f-ed up the entire Northeast landscape for the college dollar.

It is slim pickings for "market share" and nobody is willing to take one step backwards in order to take many steps forward. BC jumped to the ACC and cock-blocked Uconn immediately, and UConn does the same to any suggestion that Umass become conference affiliated with them also knowing that (for right now) any UConn affiliated conference is about the only option for Umass to pursue.

Getting Uconn to play Umass almost takes an act of congress because Uconn has a lot to lose and nothing really to gain. UMass would be a threat and UConn wants nothing to do with helping Umass in that regard - so instead they play Western CT State and Quinnipiac who cannot even be able to scratch their arses. They would rather keep their foot on UMass' throat than allow them to rise "to their level" and create a fantastic rivalry that would grow fan interest quickly.

You will notice that UConn usually only schedules with Umass in Basketball or Football when it is a slam dunk in their favor. If Umass has even a small percentage chance of winning the games does not happen. Steve Lappas screwed up the basketball series when they pulled the upset back in 2003 (I think it was 2003). Uconn beat us up pretty good for 3 years, Umass won then suddenly the remaining two games of the series were a scheduling conflict for UConn and disappeared. They have not played (basketball) since and they are barely 40 miles apart.....
So..you are saying that even when Lappas won, he still screwed things up?? Sounds about right :)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
So..you are saying that even when Lappas won, he still screwed things up?? Sounds about right :)
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil_2::devil_2:

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
THIS!

The move has hurt them in so many ways.
It's just all so forced, sterile, and lacks authentic personality. Temple had a wonderful thing going in this league with its status as long term flagship and its multiple local/regional rivalries. Now? "Hey... uhhhh... come here, Philly kid, so we can play at SMU, Tulane, and South Florida instead of La Salle, St. Joe's (two times), and UMass. The identity of the gritty basketball gym rat program is long gone. Just another AAC school trying to rebrand itself.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
It's just all so forced, sterile, and lacks authentic personality. Temple had a wonderful thing going in this league with its status as long term flagship and its multiple local/regional rivalries. Now? "Hey... uhhhh... come here, Philly kid, so we can play at SMU, Tulane, and South Florida instead of La Salle, St. Joe's (two times), and UMass. The identity of the gritty basketball gym rat program is long gone. Just another AAC school trying to rebrand itself.
In that attempt to rebrand themselves they threw away most of what made the their program special.

Dunphy seat is hot. Attendance figures are way down. Expenses have skyrocketed.

What do they have to show for it?

A basketball team that had 26 wins last season and only made the NIT partly because of how the selection committee viewed the AAC. The football program had a great season and all they had to show for it was a bowl game against Toledo.

It is going to be very interesting how their 4394329423 push for funding for a football stadium on campus goes.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Just out of curiosity, and not trying to debate where UMass may go or what conference is plausible, but where do most UMass fans sit on the football vs. basketball discussion? Do you want to see the school move to a conference for football decisions that could hurt the basketball program? Do you want UMass to stay in the A10 and not try to go FBS?
Little late to the party, but throwing out my views here:

1) I'm happy UMass decided to go FBS
2) I'm happy that UMass decided to not go all-in on the MAC
3) For the time being, I'm happy with being independent in football and A10 all other things

Recruiting for both football and basketball is on the rise. You all know about basketball for next year. Football is getting better recruiting because UMass is actually creating some legit FBS schedules against national brands...but we'll see how that plays out. Wins will need to come in for that to stay consistent.

The best move so far for football? Backing out of a game with UConn so they could schedule a series with BC, and then scheduling a series with both BC and UConn of our own. (here: http://www.fbschedules.com/2015/12/umass-future-football-series-boston-college-uconn/)

Other good moves involved the 4 game series with BYU and another 4 game series with Army.

Bamford has worked some magic with the schedules, and I hope Whipple will get the team to do the same.

2016 - Legit FBS schedule, not many wins to be found, but not going to go winless most likely (especially win an FCS team for homecoming)

2017 - Easier but still FBS schedule. This would be a year to increase the number of wins a bit. Rough having the open date at the end of the year, no breaks in the middle...

Independent is going to be rough. But if we can hold out until the conference media contracts get renegotiated in the mid 2020s and show improvement and both Football and Basketball, plus a commitment to improving the football facilities, that's our best shot at getting into a conference for football. Most likely it would need to be the AAC unless there's some other crazy conference explosion that happens. If the AAC were to lose any of UConn, Memphis, Cincy, or Temple it would be much less desirable. More than one of those and instantly it would definitely be swapping basketball for football "stability."

I like the A10 and don't want to leave it. It's a fun conference with good rivalries. But eventually we're most likely going to need to make that choice.

Long answer there. Hopefully you got something out of it.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Just out of curiosity, and not trying to debate where UMass may go or what conference is plausible, but where do most UMass fans sit on the football vs. basketball discussion? Do you want to see the school move to a conference for football decisions that could hurt the basketball program? Do you want UMass to stay in the A10 and not try to go FBS?
Let me start with my early years of the 70's watching Michigan and Michigan State on TV. Could not help having penis envy and wanting it to be Massachusetts.

So I'm on the football side as long as it does not seriously hurt basketball. So even if UConn left before we're able to make it to the AAC, I'd still want to jump in a heartbeat. There are still good household names there with Memphis, Temple, Cincy and Navy for football would be great.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I think that this is emblematic of one of the great sports ironies here in the USA. The northeastern US is probably the most educated part of the country with an abundance of universities per capita, both public and private. Yet, in that part of the country, college sports are a distant afterthought to the professional teams, especially in football. Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and the pygmy cities in between, it's the same deal in all those towns. By contrast, the South is the least educated part of the country with few universities per capita other than big state schools yet down there, college sports is the BFD with most of the professional franchises devoid of any tradition of greatness, notwithstanding the Dallas Cowboys, the San Antonio Spurs and to a much lesser extent, the Miami Dolphins and the Houston Rockets.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
By contrast, the South is the least educated part of the country with few universities per capita other than big state schools yet down there, college sports is the BFD with most of the professional franchises devoid of any tradition of greatness, notwithstanding the Dallas Cowboys, the San Antonio Spurs and to a much lesser extent, the Miami Dolphins and the Houston Rockets.
Mongo like football.......

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I think that this is emblematic of one of the great sports ironies here in the USA. The northeastern US is probably the most educated part of the country with an abundance of universities per capita, both public and private. Yet, in that part of the country, college sports are a distant afterthought to the professional teams, especially in football. Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and the pygmy cities in between, it's the same deal in all those towns. By contrast, the South is the least educated part of the country with few universities per capita other than big state schools yet down there, college sports is the BFD with most of the professional franchises devoid of any tradition of greatness, notwithstanding the Dallas Cowboys, the San Antonio Spurs and to a much lesser extent, the Miami Dolphins and the Houston Rockets.
Hmm.

In my original post about not buying a new FBS program in New England, I wanted to explore the south vs. north aspect of it to point out that ravenous college sports following is far more prevalent in the south, and less so in the northeast, in particular in major metropolitan locations. My thought process was leading me towards major metro.. liberal population.. me-first attitude.. don't care about the "team". Down south you have appreciation for the past, closer families, tighter community, root for the team.

I don't buy the education angle, I think it's simply cultural. There are plenty of dumbfucks in the northeast too.

Edit to add: Not to mention, what about the Big Ten? There are probably more Rhodes scholars painting their faces in the midwest every Saturday afternoon than anywhere else in the country.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I should move to Philly and fight for a parking space everyday. OK then.

The South's CFB dedication springs from decades of having no pro franchises, lots of beer and looking for something to do before church on Sunday.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Hmm.

In my original post about not buying a new FBS program in New England, I wanted to explore the south vs. north aspect of it to point out that ravenous college sports following is far more prevalent in the south, and less so in the northeast, in particular in major metropolitan locations. My thought process was leading me towards major metro.. liberal population.. me-first attitude.. don't care about the "team". Down south you have appreciation for the past, closer families, tighter community, root for the team.

I don't buy the education angle, I think it's simply cultural. There are plenty of dumbfucks in the northeast too.

Edit to add: Not to mention, what about the Big Ten? There are probably more Rhodes scholars painting their faces in the midwest every Saturday afternoon than anywhere else in the country.

First off, the only reason there'd be more Rhodes scholars in the midwest painting their faces than anywhere else is for two reasons:

#1 - the Northeast is full of small colleges of Rhodes Scholars without big time football.
#2 - The midwest is full of large state schools with BCS football.

Which brings me to my overall point connecting this all together:

The common thread in "Where college football is massive and where it isn't" has always been about LAND AND SPACE.

Big state schools were built in the middle of no where, where they had cheap land. Small towns grew up around them. They had ample room for football stadiums & practice fields.

All the students come from all over the state, and when they graduate will go back for football on Saturdays.

The stadium issue is/was/will be big problem for big city colleges...
- Villanova has kicked around FBS in the past, but the decision has always hinged on a stadium.

- Temple's wanted their own stadium for a while, can't get it built.

- Tulane's woes have been tied to a lack of on-campus stadium. They've been dreaming for decades and just finally crammed one into campus. It's tiny. Maybe too tiny for Big XII consideration (B12 would probably say "Texas, Oklahoma need to be played at the Dome")

- San Diego State has played in the way too big Jack Murphy and if the Chargers move to LA, what happens?

- Georgia State has been playing in the Georgia Dome, same problems as Tulane & SDSU in their NFL stadiums.... they just got a windfall... with the Braves leaving Turner Field, GSU is going to buy the facility and turn it into a football stadium!

- Even Miami, it wasn't until their team became excellent that playing 20 miles away from campus hasn't been a big deal.

61 - 80 of 1405 Posts