Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1405 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Although I understand that other conferences are "more major" than the Big 12, and therefore attractive, how do these conferences add more members without becoming too big?

"B1G" is certainly less limiting than "Big 10", but there has to be a practical limit, no?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Although I understand that other conferences are "more major" than the Big 12, and therefore attractive, how do these conferences add more members without becoming too big?

"B1G" is certainly less limiting than "Big 10", but there has to be a practical limit, no?
4x16 has been floated for at least 5 years. It's coming.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
One thing this does is probably protect the A10 from being poached any more. I guess the AAC could take UMass, or VCU, but I'd think both would be well down the list of schools they'll consider. This move pretty much slams the door on all of the talk of SLU, Dayton, or VCU becoming members of a 12 team BE. Unless the Big 12 falls apart at some point, this is it.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
One thing this does is probably protect the A10 from being poached any more. I guess the AAC could take UMass, or VCU, but I'd think both would be well down the list of schools they'll consider. This move pretty much slams the door on all of the talk of SLU, Dayton, or VCU becoming members of a 12 team BE. Unless the Big 12 falls apart at some point, this is it.
It would be nice to think so, but it won’t be a shock if the BE eventually wants to get to 12. The 20-game conference schedule fad could grow tiresome, and maybe the jpschmack logic will dawn on them. 20 games is an awful lot, and it makes scheduling pretty limiting for Villanova, which would already have at least 27 or 28 games spoken for (counting Big 5 and an exempt event) before even glancing anywhere else. It’s difficult to imagine VU being okay long term with so little flexibility... and fewer true home games.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Per the below yahoo article, the AAC may--if not probably--add VCU as a non-football member, a la Wichita State. Army or Air Force in for football.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-u-conn-move-to-the-big-east-inevitable-151200471.html

That would be a disaster for the A10.
Here's the paragraph:
For the AAC, the next likely move would be to follow the model they have with Navy as a football-only and add a school like Army or Air Force. Then they’d follow up that move and add a basketball power like they recently did with Wichita State. (VCU would be the most logical target there.)
Being a "logical target" (as the article states) and "may--if not probably" being added are not synonymous.

The AAC is a step down for VCU, particularly now with UConn gone. VCU has been very successful in the A10. They won't go anywhere unless the Big East comes calling. If they are asked, they will look carefully at what happened to Temple and UConn, the TV/recruiting markets, the travel, the instability, the historical parity of the two leagues, etc., and the influence the AAC football schools will have over everything.

This speculation doesn't help the A10 (and perceptions). I hope VCU and the A10 get out in front of it and change the emerging narrative.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Here's the paragraph:
For the AAC, the next likely move would be to follow the model they have with Navy as a football-only and add a school like Army or Air Force. Then they’d follow up that move and add a basketball power like they recently did with Wichita State. (VCU would be the most logical target there.)
Being a "logical target" (as the article states) and "may--if not probably" being added are not synonymous.

The AAC is a step down for VCU, particularly now with UConn gone. VCU has been very successful in the A10. They won't go anywhere unless the Big East comes calling. If they are asked, they will look carefully at what happened to Temple and UConn, the TV/recruiting markets, the travel, the instability, the historical parity of the two leagues, etc., and the influence the AAC football schools will have over everything.

This speculation doesn't help the A10 (and perceptions). I hope VCU and the A10 get out in front of it and change the emerging narrative.
The AAC is hardly a step down for VCU. You can make an argument that's it's not a good move, but even without UConn, there are three programs in the AAC that historically leave every A10 program in the dust, and are better today as well (Houston, UC, Memphis), plus Temple, and Wichita St. to boot. UConn has finally realized that a P5 invite is never coming, so if the cartel decides to kick everyone else to the curb, they're screwed, regardless of whether they're in the BE, or AAC. Thus, may as well stop spending a fortune on football, and go back to playing old friends.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Yes, duq. All very valid points; however, that group of schools has largely proven to be nomadic in nature. That is unlikely to change, so VCU or UD would need to consider the long game before making the jump. If you don’t have 1-A football, you’re a bastard in their eyes. Know who you are. Surround yourself with others with a similar vision/identity. Be as good as you can be in that world. Many of us can have lots of hoops success following that formula.

·
Registered
198 Posts
4x16 has been floated for at least 5 years. It's coming.
Yes, and that could preset an interesting opportunity. With 4 "mega" all sport/football conferences, perhaps there is space for 2-3 basketball focused leagues. It would take some aggressive and visionary moves in parallel to make this happen, but who will be able to compete in football if you are on the outside looking in?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I’ve often wondered why football doesn’t adopt a conference setup similar to NCAA hockey. It seems unsustainable for many schools to follow the current model. Why not form football-only conferences for the non-“power” schools, and then play all other sports in more regional, rivalry-friendly leagues?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yes, duq. All very valid points; however, that group of schools has largely proven to be nomadic in nature. That is unlikely to change, so VCU or UD would need to consider the long game before making the jump. If you don’t have 1-A football, you’re a bastard in their eyes. Know who you are. Surround yourself with others with a similar vision/identity. Be as good as you can be in that world. Many of us can have lots of hoops success following that formula.
Agree 100%! That's why I added that it may not be a good move for VCU. That said, at least at the present time, it's not a move down. The best programs in that league are big boy programs of a type that the A10 just doesn't have. Only Dayton comes within a mile of them.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Been on vacation and just started reading this UConn to Big East stuff. Initially was thinking that SLU would be gone to balance out the east and west. Then reading the Big East folks like the round robin with basketball. Also remember reading a month or two ago about the Big East would be happy with 11 teams.

This is good news for the A10 and not so much for some SLU folks. As far as UMass is concern, it's not all bad. We could have another Indy school, who was a rival in the Yankee conference or perhaps a partner in a future location. Seen some postings regarding UMass and UConn football-only. Don't think the MAC would bit, and not sure the spread out CUSA would make sense.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
FYI - early on I recall someone on an AAC board being upset that Aresco alluded to only looking at all sports invitees. Obviously they're upset because their preference is Army for Football with VCU as the olympic spots...and that there really aren't many good all-sports schools left out there, especially not on the east coast.

Unless there's some insane amounts of wizardry at UMass, I don't expect an invite to be coming.

·
Piker
8,692 Posts
The AAC is probably the most unstable conference in the country and even more so now. UCF and Houston are not going to be there much longer in my opinion. We also have to understand that the P5 conferences have been discussing "assignment of rights" which attempts to separate themselves for non-P5 programs. A big reshuffling of conferences is on the horizon. In my opinion, if VCU did happen to get an AAC invitation it would be a leap to an unstable situation if they chose to accept. I have lived through the Metro conference debacle and I see the AAC as a very similar situation. I would advocate to stay in the A10 and I would bet the leaders of VCU feel the same way.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Cue the guys on the Siena board.
It is well underway, res. There is even an obligatory, "If St. Bonaventure can afford the A10, then so can we..." brain buster.

The AAC is probably the most unstable conference in the country and even more so now. UCF and Houston are not going to be there much longer in my opinion. We also have to understand that the P5 conferences have been discussing "assignment of rights" which attempts to separate themselves for non-P5 programs. A big reshuffling of conferences is on the horizon. In my opinion, if VCU did happen to get an AAC invitation it would be a leap to an unstable situation if they chose to accept. I have lived through the Metro conference debacle and I see the AAC as a very similar situation. I would advocate to stay in the A10 and I would bet the leaders of VCU feel the same way.
Well said, AA. As has been said before, Cincinnati, Memphis, and USF are also actively trying to get out of the AAC. If you're Temple, is it really sustainable across athletics to remain in a conference with nobody within 400-450 miles? They've already cut a bunch of sports, including baseball, to feed the AAC football ogre. Give this a decade (if not less), and the AAC will have become the C-USA with a new name tag.

·
Piker
8,692 Posts
I attempted to formulate a thoughtful response to to the wild speculation regarding VCU on social media/message board. Now that I said that I will go back to being myself and say, everyone in the A10 can bite me! VCU is the best.
Now I feel better. Ha!

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
I, for one, welcome whatever else comes to Temple in all of this. It won't be good, and they deserve it.

I hope that eventually in my life that football dies its death. It's going to happen, and I cheer it. (the irony, I know)

1301 - 1320 of 1405 Posts